Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Same with a Globecar we looked at recently, no where to put the shower head, what crap design.
In our Campscout I moved the shower holder from the left outside the top rail to the right inside the rail next to the spiral tambour door and it is easier to use there as you don't have it on full stretch from the tap/sink.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Got to say I don't agree with leaving the vans pop top up in all weather, it's just laziness.

You don't realize what you have until you start looking.

I can't argue with that sir. With regards to your first point Paul; Nic and I could feel the damp in the van when we visited TVM last. The twin AGM batteries on the Merc GC 4x4 are now down to 11.3v (resting) so it just goes to show how complacent they are with their stock. IMO a future purchaser would need to get a deal far less than the advertised window prices as all three have been this year's forecourt queens.

Your 2nd point - We too found it tough going to find something which surpassed the Pilote but the Summit 640 has surpassed every one of our requirements.

I think it's important to say at this point that there is a huge difference between the D-Line and H-line Globecars from what I've seen.

Yes, the two 'Lines' are made in different factories but other than the brand name there are huge differences with the internals of the D and H vans. I'm sure Karen @Wombles will agree with me so if you and Caroline are looking at Hymer then I would certainly recommend that you look at the H-Lines first.

Happy shopping :D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yay !!
I missed the grand pick up!!
So glad you have finally got your new pride and Joy !
I hope you have many exciting and relaxing trips away in her.

What a wonderful, useful and interesting thread this has been , this is what Motorhome fun is all about!:)

I'm going to take all of the credit for this amazing thread Anthea - just this once though:D:D:D........:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Some people DO think along those lines though, don't have a pop top, they are freezing, leak etc being serious, I was quite impressed with the quality of the pop top section, looked really well engineered and solid and the van I looked at it was an option so had a rear double too, a good extra space, now other parts of the van, not so sure about the quality and what a price.

Have you been able to see a Globecar Pop-top Paul. It's very similiar to the Hymer Yosemite but with a larger fridge and a slightly bigger open space in the rear cargo areas.

There's only two for sale in the UK at the moment and both are a bit geographically challenged for us NE folk

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Interesting point for you guys. It appears that the ongoing purchases of the two Campscout Revolutions in SMC and Southwest Motorhomes have both fallen through and are back up for sale again.

The one at SW MoHo's was the previous cancelled order which we were going to purchase originally but then they sold it again after messing us about with their misleading financial calculations. The one at SMC was the MY19 show vehicle at the NEC this year.

I don't know about you guys but I've heard quite a few examples in the last 8-weeks of people cancelling their motorhome orders - perhaps this is an indicator of the MoHo marketplace to come; i.e. challenged.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I can't argue with that sir. With regards to your first point Paul; Nic and I could feel the damp in the van when we visited TVM last. The twin AGM batteries on the Merc GC 4x4 are now down to 11.3v (resting) so it just goes to show how complacent they are with their stock. IMO a future purchaser would need to get a deal far less than the advertised window prices as all three have been this year's forecourt queens.

Your 2nd point - We too found it tough going to find something which surpassed the Pilote but the Summit 640 has surpassed every one of our requirements.

I think it's important to say at this point that there is a huge difference between the D-Line and H-line Globecars from what I've seen.

Yes, the two 'Lines' are made in different factories but other than the brand name there are huge differences with the internals of the D and H vans. I'm sure Karen @Wombles will agree with me so if you and Caroline are looking at Hymer then I would certainly recommend that you look at the H-Lines first.

Happy shopping :D

The 2 globecars ive looked at Andrew have been globescouts and I wasn't impressed at all.
Which is the best then the D or H models, I obviously havnt seen any of those.
I wasn't impressed at all as I said with the internals of the grand canyon, the woodwork is poor, the floor hatch and under seat hatch are just thin bits of some sort of poor quality timber, it doesn't look quality at all.
Got to say though I loved the ground clearance in the Hymer GC 4X4, did you notice how high the step is from the floor, brilliant, but what a price tag.
The electric door wouldn't open and they had to then fetch the charger out to put some charge in before it would open, salesmen didn't seem bothered at all.
I went in a La Strada Regent S in Germany this year, now that is a nice PVC. Stick the 4x4 on that van and what a combination, you would be looking at almost 100k new though.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Which is the best then the D or H models, I obviously havnt seen any of those.

I wasn't impressed at all as I said with the internals of the grand canyon, the woodwork is poor, the floor hatch and under seat hatch are just thin bits of some sort of poor quality timber, it doesn't look quality at all.
Got to say though I loved the ground clearance in the Hymer GC 4X4, did you notice how high the step is from the floor, brilliant, but what a price tag.
The electric door wouldn't open and they had to then fetch the charger out to put some charge in before it would open, salesmen didn't seem bothered at all.

Hi Paul, I'm not sure which is best because you'll probably know that I was close to buying a Campscout Revolution and then I saw the Summit and wow, it was the one for us. I also really liked the D-Line 640DK which for whatever reason doesn't seem to be that popular with the punters.

Regarding the Hymer-Merc 4x4, we came so close to buying it from TVM but in hindsight I was just being stupid by focusing on the novelty factor and not the practical side of the purchase. We were really lucky to miss that one and it would be interesting to see if it ever gets sold this side of Xmas-19 :D

You may want to look at the Adria 640 SLB which is a nice van and @Cheshirecat57 can advise further as he picks up his new PVC in Mar-19.

One thing that I really do like about the H-line Globecar models is the simplicity and capability of the CBE electrical system. The solar Reg has a 300W capacity (Very handy) while the CBE charger does a tremendous job of keeping an eye on the batteries.

Finally, and the most important point is that I quite like being a Globecar groupie :D:D:D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Paul, I'm not sure which is best because you'll probably know that I was close to buying a Campscout Revolution and then I saw the Summit and wow, it was the one for us. I also really liked the D-Line 640DK which for whatever reason doesn't seem to be that popular with the punters.

Regarding the Hymer-Merc 4x4, we came so close to buying it from TVM but in hindsight I was just being stupid by focusing on the novelty factor and not the practical side of the purchase. We were really lucky to miss that one and it would be interesting to see if it ever gets sold this side of Xmas-19 :D

You may want to look at the Adria 640 SLB which is a nice van and @Cheshirecat57 can advise further as he picks up his new PVC in Mar-19.

One thing that I really do like about the H-line Globecar models is the simplicity and capability of the CBE electrical system. The solar Reg has a 300W capacity (Very handy) while the CBE charger does a tremendous job of keeping an eye on the batteries.

Finally, and the most important point is that I quite like being a Globecar groupie :D:D:D

May be cheeky one day Andrew and ask for a nosey of yours seen as we are quite close to one another.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
May be cheeky one day Andrew and ask for a nosey of yours seen as we are quite close to one another.

Not a problem mate. I'm fitting the VB Air tomorrow if the weather holds out.

The Summit range is quite rare in thr UK at the moment so I'll need to charge you a fiver (each) for entry.:D

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
I called into Danbury’s today. and had a look at the Danbury/ Pilote 60TR Avenir. These come from the Pilote factory and Danbury then put their bits on. They are hoping to build them in their factory next year which is in Yate just north east of Bristol.
Robson’s of Wolsingham are waiting for 54 & 60 to arrive in December.
Paul would be interesting to here what you thought of them.
Andrew we could do with some photos of your new van.
Terry.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I called into Danbury’s today. and had a look at the Danbury/ Pilote 60TR Avenir. These come from the Pilote factory and Danbury then put their bits on. They are hoping to build them in their factory next year which is in Yate just north east of Bristol.
Robson’s of Wolsingham are waiting for 54 & 60 to arrive in December.
Paul would be interesting to here what you thought of them.
Terry.

Morning Terry,

We looked at the Danbury collection at the NEC but the vans didn't particularly fire-up our passion enough to part with any cash.

We both really liked last year's MY17 internal decor of the Pilote branded vans, including the years prior to that, but the Danbury gear has just lost the Pilote look and feel IMO.

The Wolsingham dealer is just 8 or 9 miles away from us but we would rather travel 138-miles each way to deal with someone else; enough said.

If the weather holds out then I'll be in the van today so I'll post up a few pics.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Terry.

I took this picture from the roof of my Landrover so I was risking life and limb up there :D It may not be to everyone's taste but I really like the contrast between the black windows and the maroon metallic paint.

I've included a close-up of the windows and frames which are fairly slick IMO(y)

20181130_105659.jpg

20181130_111000.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The shower, sink and the loo set-up is fantastic (very innovative) and it was one of the original things that I liked most about the van when Karen @Wombles posted up her thread about the Summit range a few months ago.

20181130_105313.jpg

20181130_105334.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Finally, a couple of pics of the inside. I had all the windows and skylights closed so the light level was poor. That said, it gives an idea of the fresh Ikea-looking interior :whistle: with blue or white LED lights, good fridge size and a fully removable table.

The last pic shows the CBE control panel. It looks simple but behind the scenes it controls some very modern technology.

20181130_105514.jpg

20181130_110919.jpg

20181130_105445.jpg

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Blue Knight loving all your photos & especially your dog & his pig but then we are a bit biased as you know! :giggle:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Congratulations, Andrew you've got a really nice van there, hope you all have a lot of pleasure out of it.

John.

Many thanks John (y), we both really like it and it's ideal for our requirements. The pup seems quite happy too.

It's little things that are useful like being able to fit the 23" Avtex above the fridge so that you can watch the TV from either the front of the van or from the bed area.

Nicky and I loved the Pilote but this Globecar is just something else.

My immediate jobs are to connect the VB system, add a TPMS, add the TV aerial (The one which you recomended) and underseal some of the vulnerable points under the van.

We will do a test night next week but it won't be far away from the house in case I forget the coffee or milk:D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@Blue Knight loving all your photos & especially your dog & his pig but then we are a bit biased as you know! :giggle:

Thanks Karen,

'Roman' and I had a chat today and he's allowed to take his pig, his pheasant and one ball for his first outing.

I think he understands the need to pack sensibly :D

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Andrew, Thanks for risking your life and limb with these photos of your fantastic looking camper. Hope you and your good lady have many enjoyable trips and some wonderful adventures.

Terry and Shirley.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew, Thanks for risking your life and limb with these photos of your fantastic looking camper. Hope you and your good lady have many enjoyable trips and some wonderful adventures.

Terry and Shirley.

You're a real Gent (y), thanks Terry.

I wish you well for your future MoHo shopping trips too. I didn't realise how tough it would be to choose a PVC but I think we've done OK - it's all down to help gained from the Globecar guys on this forum though.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Looks lovely Andrew ... look forward tootevphotoes travelling the world!
Liz
PS The bathroom was my favourite feature too .. we were tempted!

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
I took this picture from the roof of my Landrover so I was risking life and limb up there :D It may not be to everyone's taste but I really like the contrast between the black windows and the maroon metallic paint.

I've included a close-up of the windows and frames which are fairly slick IMO(y)

View attachment 269669

View attachment 269670
It’s what you like ,that’s all that matters (y)

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Looks lovely Andrew ... look forward tootevphotoes travelling the world!
Liz
PS The bathroom was my favourite feature too .. we were tempted!

Thanks Liz, the bathroom is an incredibly well thought out space. I can't see any obvious issue at the moment but I'll be able to report back after our first adventure - just one night though.:)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Yes, our pick up is likely to be 15/16th as it’s the Scottish youth sailing champs next weekend and we have a young sailor who enjoys getting wet in gale force waves in Scottish winters :rolleyes:. So ideally we’d head away for a night the following weekend ... are you going to a campsite or wilding?

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes, our pick up is likely to be 15/16th as it’s the Scottish youth sailing champs next weekend and we have a young sailor who enjoys getting wet in gale force waves in Scottish winters :rolleyes:. So ideally we’d head away for a night the following weekend ... are you going to a campsite or wilding?

That's great news Liz:xThumb:

Do you think the dealer with give you something nice and useful for the inconvenience of having to wait an extra 5-months. That would be a nice gesture IMO

We'll be going for a one night stay on a site but we don't intend to use the EHU - just to be sure.

Not long now, good luck,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Paul, @CazPaul

I'm breaking my own rule by mentioning a Hymer in this thread but have a look at the new Mercedes HymerCar Grand Canyon from ALV in Cumbria (£72,000).

You may like it mate but from my perspective the Fiat Globecar is much better looking :xThumb:

93981312_infinity.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back