Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Paul, @CazPaul

I'm breaking my own rule by mentioning a Hymer in this thread but have a look at the new Mercedes HymerCar Grand Canyon from ALV in Cumbria (£72,000).

You may like it mate but from my perspective the Fiat Globecar is much better looking :xThumb:

View attachment 270232

Thanks Andrew, coincidently when I was passing and went into see the Hymer GC 4X4 at Tyne Valley last week, they were just taking delivery of the new 2019 Merc GC which I had a look at, with the different new dashboard, they hadn't even priced it up.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks Andrew, coincidently when I was passing and went into see the Hymer GC 4X4 at Tyne Valley last week, they were just taking delivery of the new 2019 Merc GC which I had a look at, with the different new dashboard, they hadn't even priced it up.

They'll struggle to get the £82,500 price tag if the new one is similarly priced. I've noticed recently that TVM has new stock arriving daily but it is definelty having real problems in shifting the 2018 vans, especially the AT gear.

You could get a good deal on one of their pop-tops Paul :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They'll struggle to get the £82,500 price tag if the new one is similarly priced. I've noticed recently that TVM has new stock arriving daily but it is definelty having real problems in shifting the 2018 vans, especially the AT gear.

You could get a good deal on one of their pop-tops Paul :xThumb:

Wouldn't buy off them Andrew regardless, what a tale of woe, the vans were not looked after, 82k for a van, the electric sliding door wouldn't work because all batteries flat, they had to plug in a power pack just to open the door, I put the control panel on, all batteries dead as a dodo.
They should have then put is straight onto EHU, pop top left up in all conditions, it was blowing a right gale, salesmen didn't seem bothered, not a dealer for me i'm afraid.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Wouldn't buy off them Andrew regardless, what a tale of woe, the vans were not looked after, 82k for a van, the electric sliding door wouldn't work because all batteries flat, they had to plug in a power pack just to open the door, I put the control panel on, all batteries dead as a dodo.
They should have then put is straight onto EHU, pop top left up in all conditions, it was blowing a right gale, salesmen didn't seem bothered, not a dealer for me i'm afraid.

Couldn't agree more Paul. They were the guys who sold us our new AT (aka pile of crap). I best start writing a few reviews eh :xgrin:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Team,

I fitted the VB air lines yesterday (all up and running now) but to do so I had to remove the footwell plastics - I then found water lying on the top of the underbody.

My van is parked on a forward slant but it appears from the pic that the water has breeched the door seal.

Has anyone else had such an issue with their Fiat cab.

TIA,

Andrew

20181203_120314.jpg

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
Team,

I fitted the VB air lines yesterday (all up and running now) but to do so I had to remove the footwell plastics - I then found water lying on the top of the underbody.

My van is parked on a forward slant but it appears from the pic that the water has breeched the door seal.

Has anyone else had such an issue with their Fiat cab.

TIA,

Andrew

View attachment 270423
Just wondering if that water ingress could be the result of over zealous pressure washing by the dealer prior to collecting your van Andrew?

Very nice van btw. Happy Travels
Chris

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Just wondering if that water ingress could be the result of over zealous pressure washing by the dealer prior to collecting your van Andrew?

Very nice van btw. Happy Travels
Chris

Thanks Chris, I have a feeling that you've got something there:xThumb:

Your idea didn't even cross my mind so many thanks for posting-up.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys,

I would just like to say a huge well done to SMC in Newark for fitting the new Gaslow system and CCTV system.

It was a real pleasure to chat with the whole team from the MD to the Service Management- they've all done a super job and no expense spared too.

We all know that some issues do arise during the purchase of new vans but it's how the dealer subsequently solves them that's the important bit IMO.

Here's a pic of the new Gaslow system in my Globecar:

20181211_171409.jpg

We've put the filler in the rear left side of the bumper and it looks fantastic

We'll done SMC :xThumb: - I'm sure that we'll be back soon enough to buy our next van from them.

20181211_171441.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
A bit of advice needed please,

I'm not sure if any other PVC owner has this problem but it appears that my rear doors can't open fully to the bump stop position as if they do (In wind etc), then the van body will smash the window plastic.

I hope the pic below is clear enough but if you notice the bump stump (lower bumper) is actually a good distance away from the door when the window is touching the van body (just above the light cluster).

This is not a good design so I wonder if Globecar will change the windows as this layout is not exactly fit for purpose IMO.

Has anyone else experienced this problem as I'm sure that this window style comes with the standard Campscout vans besides others.

TIA,

Andrew

20181229_154807.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I suppose I could extend the bump stops by 2-inches to resolve the issue.

That said, can anyone tell me if the doors on a standard Fiat Ducato should lock in place when they are extended to 160-degrees or are they designed to swing free - I can't recall.

Cheers,

Andrew

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
20181229_171650.jpg
20181229_171624.jpg
20181229_171741.jpg
I suppose I could extend the bump stops by 2-inches to resolve the issue.

That said, can anyone tell me if the doors on a standard Fiat Ducato should lock in place when they are extended to 160-degrees or are they designed to swing free - I can't recall.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Sorry, struggling with edit. Pics above show that on the 2018 Campscout, the rear doors open onto the stops (using the button) but that the doors are still an inch or two off the bodywork.
Also, the windows are nowhere near the main body.
Apologies for the dirty state of the vehicle... one of the joys of the Highlands in winter.
Sue

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Sorry, struggling with edit. Pics above show that on the 2018 Campscout, the rear doors open onto the stops (using the button) but that the doors are still an inch or two off the bodywork.
Also, the windows are nowhere near the main body.
Apologies for the dirty state of the vehicle... one of the joys of the Highlands in winter.
Sue

Hi Sue, and thanks for going out of your way to open your van and take the pics - you're a real star.:xThumb:

Your windows are nice and flush whereas mine protrude outwards by some distance and this is the problem.

Does your Campscout have the Elegance Pack (EP) fitted as I seem to recall reading somewhere that the nice flushed rear window mounts like yours came with the EP as an upgrade. The Summit H-line vans like mine do not come with an EP option but the windows are a cost option.

I wonder if Karen @Wombles has the same issue.

Oops, a final question Sue: Do your doors stay in a locked position when fully opened outwards or do they just lock at the 90-degree point.

Thanks Sue,

Andrew

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
Andrew, Mine are the same. Normal white vans do not have windows in the rear doors.
CamperSue windows look like they are flush glass and not the full width of the door where as mine are nearly the full width of door.
I remember someone did modify their stops but can not find it at the moment
Terry

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Hi Sue, and thanks for going out of your way to open your van and take the pics - you're a real star.:xThumb:

Your windows are nice and flush whereas mine protrude outwards by some distance and this is the problem.

Does your Campscout have the Elegance Pack (EP) fitted as I seem to recall reading somewhere that the nice flushed rear window mounts like yours came with the EP as an upgrade. The Summit H-line vans like mine do not come with an EP option but the windows are a cost option.

Oops, a final question Sue: Do your doors stay in a locked position when fully opened outwards or do they just lock at the 90-degree point.

Thanks Sue,

Andrew

Andrew,
No worries, I have been back and forth to the van all afternoon since I am making internal windscreen insulation for sneaky overnight stops when I don't want to use the external screens.
Yes, ours has an Elegance Pack. Bought it off the lot and I think the dealer always gets the EP for their stock.
As for the doors, once they are open past 90 degrees, they are free moving. I must watch that when it's blowing a hoolie.

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Guys,

I would just like to say a huge well done to SMC in Newark for fitting the new Gaslow system and CCTV system.

It was a real pleasure to chat with the whole team from the MD to the Service Management- they've all done a super job and no expense spared too.

We all know that some issues do arise during the purchase of new vans but it's how the dealer subsequently solves them that's the important bit IMO.

Here's a pic of the new Gaslow system in my Globecar:

View attachment 271629

We've put the filler in the rear left side of the bumper and it looks fantastic

We'll done SMC :xThumb: - I'm sure that we'll be back soon enough to buy our next van from them.

View attachment 271631

I like your Gaslow system but be warned that when you travel in the Highlands, the last filling stations are near Inverness. I'm not sure if there are any up in Orkney.
It shouldn't be a problem in the summer but if you are running the heating on long winter nights, you'll need to watch your usage. I am only running a 6kg Calor tank on a simple regulator right now and managed to run out half way through the night. I gave in at 5am when the dog wanted out for a pee and then sat in the garage with the doors closed to change cylinder while hubbie and dog kept warm in bed. It was only 5 C in the bedroom at that point. xroll:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Thanks Sue,

Andrew

We have the same windows as Sue on the sides but ones like yours on the rear doors - ideally we would have liked the "Elegance" type on the rear too as meant to be more secure but we did ask & it wasn't an option from Globecar or our dealer for our model. The limited opening of the rear doors was pointed out to us at handover & not an issue for us as can't envisage needing them to open more.
Would be interested in additional stops though in case the wind was strong enough to force the doors back :eek:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
@CamperSue @pops

Hi Sue and Terry,

Thanks for the explanations guys.

Sue: If you've got the EP fitted then that means you get the flushed windows which is a big bonus.

Terry: Many thanks for confirming that sir. It's all making sense now. I've just popped out to take a couple of pics and you can see the difference in size between the window apperture and the actual window unit itself; a huge difference.

20181229_182341.jpg

20181229_182555.jpg

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I like your Gaslow system but be warned that when you travel in the Highlands, the last filling stations are near Inverness. I'm not sure if there are any up in Orkney.
It shouldn't be a problem in the summer but if you are running the heating on long winter nights, you'll need to watch your usage. I am only running a 6kg Calor tank on a simple regulator right now and managed to run out half way through the night. I gave in at 5am when the dog wanted out for a pee and then sat in the garage with the doors closed to change cylinder while hubbie and dog kept warm in bed. It was only 5 C in the bedroom at that point. xroll:

Cheers Sue, that's a fantastic bit of info but I did like the bit about running out at 5am and at 5 C too - did you have icicles running off your nose :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We have the same windows as Sue on the sides but ones like yours on the rear doors - ideally we would have liked the "Elegance" type on the rear too as meant to be more secure but we did ask & it wasn't an option from Globecar or our dealer for our model. The limited opening of the rear doors was pointed out to us at handover & not an issue for us as can't envisage needing them to open more.
Would be interested in additional stops though in case the wind was strong enough to force the doors back :eek:

Thanks Karen :xThumb:

You're like my little reference guide.

Like Terry @pops mentioned above I'll look to extend the bump stops by a wee bit. It should be easy enough as the last thing we want is the windows to go pop in bad weather.

One more for the job sheet.:xsmile:

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Cheers Sue, that's a fantastic bit of info but I did like the bit about running out at 5am and at 5 C too - did you have icicles running off your nose :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Actually quite cosy under our duvet and extra sleeping bags - I did suspect that we were a bit low in the current tank. Hubbie is not that keen on the campervan and I believe that the incident has meant the rest of my winter trips will be solo (+ dog since she doesn't get a choice). :xwink:

Mar 29, 2018
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
PVC
Ah, that's interesting Sue - is he still getting used to it or would he like something bigger instead.

We had a demountable and this is much more luxurious. We got the longer Campscout to have more room since I hoped that it would entice him. He does come out in it and we spent 2 weeks on the outer isles last spring and some other shorter 2-3 day trips. However, he is really more of a 5 star hotel kinda guy. For me, the campervan is wonderful, but then I am happy to walk 20 miles and sleep in a one person tent with only what I carried on my back! Who said opposites attact ? :xrofl:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We had a demountable and this is much more luxurious. We got the longer Campscout to have more room since I hoped that it would entice him. He does come out in it and we spent 2 weeks on the outer isles last spring and some other shorter 2-3 day trips. However, he is really more of a 5 star hotel kinda guy. For me, the campervan is wonderful, but then I am happy to walk 20 miles and sleep in a one person tent with only what I carried on my back! Who said opposites attact ? :xrofl:

Same here Sue and with me being away 46-weeks a year (until recently), we've only just started to bob-along again; this motorhoming-thing has been a very useful addition to our list of things to bob-along too :xThumb:

I do like the motorhoming and camping life but the idea of living in 5☆ accommodation does have a pleasant ring about it. :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
I can not find the mod, but if my memory serves me well a piece of tube was inserted in the bolt hole of the bump stop and a rubber bung placed in the end of tube.
I am sure this was done on a Globecar by someone on here.
Terry.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@David60
If you read this thread from the beginning it may help in deciding if you want a globecar or not!!
Lots of great advice chat and knowledge!!
Allow a few hours though!!!

David60

Free Member
Dec 28, 2018
Funster No
MH
In the market to buy
Exp
I'm totally inexperienced!
Wow! Thanks again Anthea ...superstar status and sooo helpful :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.