Time for a Globecar (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes I agree with some of those Andrew, especially the cost, certainly wouldn't have the pop top version though.

The Canyon without 4x4 can be bought at the minute for 58000 euros in Germany so not a great increase in UK prices for the Fiat version.

They do widen the bed area so that you can sleep transversely but I think that is a good idea, rear wheel drive too. Reliability wise I am not sure, there are points for and against, if the euro went upto 120's or 130's then mid 40k would get you one.

A panel van will probably be our last van but a few years to wait yet for that, we are enjoying this little Concorde at the minute.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes I agree with some of those Andrew, especially the cost, certainly wouldn't have the pop top version though.

The Canyon without 4x4 can be bought at the minute for 58000 euros in Germany so not a great increase in UK prices for the Fiat version.

They do widen the bed area so that you can sleep transversely but I think that is a good idea, rear wheel drive too. Reliability wise I am not sure, there are points for and against, if the euro went upto 120's or 130's then mid 40k would get you one.

A panel van will probably be our last van but a few years to wait yet for that, we are enjoying this little Concorde at the minute.

Those are really good points Paul and, like you say; once you choose the Fiat option then you'll have a much more practical vehicle for PVC'ing.

That said, I don't think we could find anything better for us than the Globecar Summit 640 as it really does tick every one of our boxes. I've said it before but trying to choose a suitable PVC has not been an easy job.

It's also nice to get a 3.5T van which comes with the right tyres, alloys and chassis to pump it up to 4.4T after a wee bit of paperwork, I.e. the Fiat maxi chassis in my case.

Also, Hymers are far too common and I wanted something a bit more exclusive :D:D:D:D:D

That last comment of mine was a bit cheeky but my new Globecar pals will understand:D

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Guys,

I've done a full inspection of the van (incl a 4-hour wash and polish) and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the quality of the Globecar product.

That said, you may be interested in my snag list and I am working with the dealer to resolve these various small points :D

1. Incorrect Truma boiler fitted. (Gas only, no electric so not as per UK Pack spec).

2. Incorrect reverse camera system fitted (Not what I ordered).

3. 2nd hab battery - Not fitted even after a series of calls to say that the technician had already done it.

4. CBE Reg not configured correctly so would not charge hab unit.

5. Bathroom laminate damage not repaired after our initial observation a few weeks ago. Someone has just bodged it.

Nothing is ever easy eh (n)

Otherwise all good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Some of the fridge sizes on PVCs are truly shocking. The pic below is of the fridge in a Hymer car Ayres Rock with only a handful of litres in capacity.

It's the grey door on the end which on first examination we believed it to be the dustbin for the van.:whistle:

View attachment 266372

Haha, well it's our choice of fridge...... we love it and it works really well....... ideal for 2 people (y):p

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
What do you think of the Hymer car in general?
We like it very much. We did 'downsize' from a Globecar Globescout however.....hehe. I was worried about the power consumption of the fridge but turned out to be fine, we can stop 3 nights on one site with a full battery, othewise we find that about an hour a day driving keeps the battery well topped up.

Both manufacturers build good vans but this time round Globecar had nothing to suit our particular needs and the Hymer turned out just fine. We also have the pop top if needed for the grandkids or visitors.

Other than that? well it's a Fiat! Just like the Globecar :D2

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks for that @Blue Knight Andrew sounds a lovely van,hope everything goes smooth with dealer as ours did.

John.

Thanks John, I appreciate your kind thoughts but as you say I'm sure we will sort things soon.

All the best,

Andrew

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Can you lot go and start your own Hymer car thread please - these pages are reserved for posh folk who like the much finer things in life.

:whistle:.....:D.....:whistle:.....:D.....:whistle:

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Thanks for that @Blue Knight Andrew sounds a lovely van,hope everything goes smooth with dealer as ours did.

John.

It's all sorted now John @Neckender. I've got to admit that my supplying dealer has been incredibly supportive - I'm very pleased indeed!!

All vans have issues but in this case I have to take my hat off to the management for sorting these so quickly.

It'll be an extra glass of red wine for me tonight.

All the best,

Andrew

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Watching responses with baited breath ........ we take delivery of our new Hymercar Grand Canyon (Fiat) on Friday :whistle:

.....and to think that we were only seconds away from inviting you and Andrew to our holiday home for a week of free champagne and cavier by the pool.

I best not tell Nicky that you are going to the dark side as she would be upset :D

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Andrew,
Can’t wait for photos ... re your snag list can you explain to me what No 4 means please?
And before you ask, no! :rolleyes:
Thanks! Liz

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew,
Can’t wait for photos ... re your snag list can you explain to me what No 4 means please?
And before you ask, no! :rolleyes:
Thanks! Liz

Hi Liz, it was all to do with the configuration of the battery type selector on the CBE solar regulator. If you don't choose the right one then it will not charge your batteries and then they'll be duff before you know it.

In principle the CBE system is fantastic but it needs to be installed (like any of the systems) by a technician who knows about the different battery types and their respective charge and float charge rates.

If you're buying a D-Line Globecar then you won't be getting a CBE system.

How's your situation developing - any news.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ah thanks, ours should be D line. Nothing. OHs keen to wait till end of this week before contacting .. then it should have left factory a month previously. I know his Skoda took ages, seemed to be dockside in Germany for weeks before it was shipped. Wishing you lots of fun in yours!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We like it very much. We did 'downsize' from a Globecar Globescout however.....hehe. I was worried about the power consumption of the fridge but turned out to be fine, we can stop 3 nights on one site with a full battery, othewise we find that about an hour a day driving keeps the battery well topped up.

Both manufacturers build good vans but this time round Globecar had nothing to suit our particular needs and the Hymer turned out just fine. We also have the pop top if needed for the grandkids or visitors.

Other than that? well it's a Fiat! Just like the Globecar :D2

Thanks, how do you find the pop top engineering roof, I have heard of one leaking water in at the sides, does it look like its built so that it never would leak, ie, when the roof pulls back down into position does it come well down past the side of the van so that it overlaps, also has it got a good seal on it?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks, how do you find the pop top engineering roof, I have heard of one leaking water in at the sides, does it look like its built so that it never would leak, ie, when the roof pulls back down into position does it come well down past the side of the van so that it overlaps, also has it got a good seal on it?
It’s great! No leaks at all, the hole on the roof is only the size of a sunroof. The bed is actually on TOP of the Fiat roof(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It’s great! No leaks at all, the hole on the roof is only the size of a sunroof. The bed is actually on TOP of the Fiat roof(y)
Do you wake up with the corrugated roof patten imprinted on your posteria though? :D

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Do you wake up with the corrugated roof patten imprinted on your posteria though? :D

No, because I looked at the Hymer car pop tops, the pop top interior roof is padded, in fact I passed the dealer today and popped in, I was amazed that they leave the pop tops UP all the time, in high winds, rain, everything with never any leaks or damage they said.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No, because I looked at the Hymer car pop tops, the pop top interior roof is padded, in fact I passed the dealer today and popped in, I was amazed that they leave the pop tops UP all the time, in high winds, rain, everything with never any leaks or damage they said.
I can't believe that you took my daft question seriously! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I can't believe that you took my daft question seriously! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Some people DO think along those lines though, don't have a pop top, they are freezing, leak etc being serious, I was quite impressed with the quality of the pop top section, looked really well engineered and solid and the van I looked at it was an option so had a rear double too, a good extra space, now other parts of the van, not so sure about the quality and what a price.

OP
OP
Blue Knight

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

That will be Tyne Valley then. They've had those pop-tops up in all weather's since January albeit one of the vans was delivered in Dec-17.

Nicky actually spoke with the dealer and said that they had a leak on the red Hymer pop-top and as it turned out the snow had rested against the sides and then had melted it's way inside to form a puddle on the floor.

They've over-produced and over delivered the Hymer pop-tops for the UK market so you should be able to get a good deal on them now Paul, especially this time of year.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That will be Tyne Valley then. They've had those pop-tops up in all weather's since January albeit one of the vans was delivered in Dec-17.

Nicky actually spoke with the dealer and said that they had a leak on the red Hymer pop-top and as it turned out the snow had rested against the sides and then had melted it's way inside to form a puddle on the floor.

They've over-produced and over delivered the Hymer pop-tops for the UK market so you should be able to get a good deal on them now Paul, especially this time of year.

Just passing Andrew as we have an office in Consett near Tyne Valley. Got to say I don't agree with leaving the vans pop top up in all weather, it's just laziness.
New vans compared to our 2005 model, well the interior there is no comparison, incredible the difference, wow. I know ours is a Concorde but nevertheless, amazing difference in all respects.
And the Hymer 4 wheel drive at Tyne Valley, reduced from 88 to 82 grand, where do you put the shower head when you pull it out? For that money how rubbish is that?
Same with a Globecar we looked at recently, no where to put the shower head, what crap design.
The best constructed PVC in my opinion is La Strada and Westfalia.
You don't realize what you have until you start looking.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A big day today guys - Nicky and I picked up our new Globecar this morning and to say we are thrilled with the van is an understatement.

I can now see why you fine Globecar folk love your Campscouts and Revolutions so much as it was an absolute pleasure to drive the 138-mile trip home today. We loved our Pilote coachbuilt but the Globecar PVC on the maxi chassis is like driving a large, responsive and agile car with no wobbles whatsoever on the road. Incredible (y)

Also, we never really appreciated the great build quality until our handover today so that's a big bonus too.

Mel @Minxy Girl - I need to send you a quick PM.

Best Wishes to all,

Andrew
Yay !!
I missed the grand pick up!!
So glad you have finally got your new pride and Joy !
I hope you have many exciting and relaxing trips away in her.

What a wonderful, useful and interesting thread this has been , this is what Motorhome fun is all about!:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back