Tight or what? (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
We go to the western isles as often as we can, on Harris they have created motorhome parking areas and ask for PayPal payment on signs on the sites

I hope people do pay at least the Ā£5 / night they ask for šŸ‘
Seems I'll need to buy an internet phone to replace my Tesco Ā£9.99 PAYG one just to pay for parking. Drat! :confused:

You'll be ok, they still accept old fashioned cash as well (y)

If you are already at one of the camping spots or have previously stayed and would like to pay, please do so by phoning us on 01859 503900 or by using the PayPal link below. Alternatively, you can post cash, a cheque or pop in and see us at Talla na Mara.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We used PayPal when using the Harris Trust parking spots, only difficulty was getting a decent signal. šŸ˜’

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
... and then of course there's the issue of security of the money once in the box, I'm sure local scrotes would soon work out where to get some easy cash!

For years we have stayed on the same CL when visiting Dad in Teesside: only Ā£8pn and EHU via "coin in the slot" meters.
When we went last month for his funeral the meters had been changed, now requiring tokens because someone had broken the old ones and taken the money. How much would that have been?
Probably less than Ā£10 per pitch and the farm is at the end of a longish drive in a quiet village.

Unfortunately, the need to be able to provide tokens whenever the campers want them means that the farmer's wife is now tied to her house (not literally ;) ).
As a "regular", she just gave me a bag of tokens and told me to settle up when I left.

She is very keen to come up with an alternative. :rolleyes:

Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
To all of you who go out of your way to ensure you can pay in these mainly out of the way places, good for you, to all the others who canā€™t / wonā€™t get cash cos thereā€™s no banks, cash machines blah blah blah are probably the f.l.Tā€™s mingebag scrotes being referred to in previous posts. Surely itā€™s not to much trouble to carry a small float say Ā£20 in fivers. If you know you're going to use this type of place (and most do) then make sure you can pay and donā€™t be a tosser. Nuff said:censored:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I stopped at a remote CL some time ago. It was run by a farm at arm's length, who said to leave the money in the box by the gate. The box was old and insecure, with nothing in. I left a cheque with my address on the back, rather than cash, but don't know if it was cashed.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I stopped at a remote CL some time ago. It was run by a farm at arm's length, who said to leave the money in the box by the gate. The box was old and insecure, with nothing in. I left a cheque with my address on the back, rather than cash, but don't know if it was cashed.
How do you check your bank account then?

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
The problem with an honesty box is that, apart from those who just won't put anything it, not everyone has change/cash/small denomination notes nowadays and then of course there's the issue of security of the money once in the box, I'm sure local scrotes would soon work out where to get some easy cash!

Nowadays it would be much better to have a way to pay it online via a mobile app, quick and easy with no risk of the money being nicked, of course this could be done alongside the honesty box if required.

I always have some cash about me, including a Ā£20 in fivers in my phone case, and another in the glove box in the MH and car, we are not in a cashless society yet and I hope we will never be.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
We stayed on an aire near Santander a couple of year back and arrived late in the evening and had to leave very early the next day. Consequently we missed the guy who came round for the fee. However, there were friends of ours also on the aire that didnt have to leave early, so I left the fee with them and asked that they pay the guy for us.
When he arrived and they explained what had happened and paid him , he was shocked and said ' this never happens'
As people have said, we have to preserve these places so we can all use them in the future. Those that deliberately avoid paying a few euros for the pleasure should be ashamed of themselves!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
So we don't all live the same way.
So long as what went out of my account is less than what came in, that's all I need to know.
I used check every detail to start with but then decided that I had better things to do.
Like pay your way you mean:rolleyes:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
So we don't all live the same way.
So long as what went out of my account is less than what came in, that's all I need to know.
I used check every detail to start with but then decided that I had better things to do.
I do the same. I know from experience that at the end of each month and before my pensions are paid in there's usually about a grand left in my current (aka: 'Walking about money') account.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
To all of you who go out of your way to ensure you can pay in these mainly out of the way places, good for you, to all the others who canā€™t / wonā€™t get cash cos thereā€™s no banks, cash machines blah blah blah are probably the f.l.Tā€™s mingebag scrotes being referred to in previous posts. Surely itā€™s not to much trouble to carry a small float say Ā£20 in fivers. If you know you're going to use this type of place (and most do) then make sure you can pay and donā€™t be a tosser. Nuff said:censored:
Always a purse in the van with Euros for that very reason

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

With the amount of Tilley hats we have, we could buy a small car if we had to. ;)

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I always have some cash about me, including a Ā£20 in fivers in my phone case, and another in the glove box in the MH and car, we are not in a cashless society yet and I hope we will never be.

It's too late for that. Many younger people (i.e. under 50) don't use cash at all. Before COVID I was down to a maybe one cash transaction a month (mostly kebab vans!) Even that has disappeared. The only cash I've used since March was a bizarre car park in Buxton that was cash only, causing great inconvenience and giving a very yokellish impression of their town council.

They need to put up a QR code/RingGo or something where you can pay your donations. This will give a much higher chance of anyone paying and provides lower real transaction costs. Yes, there will be a commission on the money collected.

However, cash, whilst "free", also has significant real costs associated like security, theft, transportation, counterfeiting etc. These real costs (such as paying someone to do the rounds collecting money or going to the bank, or buying expensive safes/repairing damage/having cash stolen) are likely much greater than the percentage that an online payment processor will take.

Cash has gone the way of cheques. A historical curiosity on its last legs.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I suppose I'll be left behind, as I don't have Apple Pay or such and am most unlikely to.
I still find a need for cash and some uses have no electronic equivalent (tipping).

JJ

MƔgica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I've seen people pull off an aire and then return after the person collecting the cash has left all for a few quid!

Maybe the few quid they saved meant their children could have something to eat for lunch...

JJ :cool:

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I suppose I'll be left behind, as I don't have Apple Pay or such and am most unlikely to.
I still find a need for cash and some uses have no electronic equivalent (tipping).
Even a tip can now be left via the contactless payment machine. Unlikely that it ever makes it to your individual serving staff though

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Maybe the few quid they saved meant their children could have something to eat for lunch...

JJ :cool:

I imagine the few quid they saved meant their children could have something to eat for lunch if they stayed at home rather that spend money on diesel going to an aire if they were that hard up. ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's too late for that. Many younger people (i.e. under 50) don't use cash at all. Before COVID I was down to a maybe one cash transaction a month (mostly kebab vans!) Even that has disappeared. The only cash I've used since March was a bizarre car park in Buxton that was cash only, causing great inconvenience and giving a very yokellish impression of their town council.

They need to put up a QR code/RingGo or something where you can pay your donations. This will give a much higher chance of anyone paying and provides lower real transaction costs. Yes, there will be a commission on the money collected.

However, cash, whilst "free", also has significant real costs associated like security, theft, transportation, counterfeiting etc. These real costs (such as paying someone to do the rounds collecting money or going to the bank, or buying expensive safes/repairing damage/having cash stolen) are likely much greater than the percentage that an online payment processor will take.

Cash has gone the way of cheques. A historical curiosity on its last legs.
I have never paid for a car park any other way than cash :Smile: sometimes Julie has used her card in Aires but very rare.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Even a tip can now be left via the contactless payment machine. Unlikely that it ever makes it to your individual serving staff though
The best way to make sure your tip gets to the right person is to give it to them directly, in cash. Should you wish to pay for a Big Issue, I doubt that they'd accept a card, similarly if tipping a tour guide or coach driver...

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
We always pay our way, as we want to continue to use these places. We carry Ā£20 in pound coins and also some euros left over from previous european jaunts.
A few years ago we stopped for the night at Sliaghan on Skye, the fee was Ā£20 for thee night PLUS Ā£5 for EHU. The weather was atrocious, and we lost the EHU about 8pm. In the morning I went to see the camp site warden/owner to get my Ā£5 back, where I found a queue had formed outside his caravan all wanting the same.
He was refusing to give refunds though, as he said it was part of the site fee, the Dutch chap in front of me argued and got his Ā£5 back so I did the same and got mine back too. if he had said Ā£25 all in then fair enough, but he didn't, so in my mind he owed us for not providing that part of the service.

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I haven't carried or touched any cash whatsoever since the March lockdown so I'd be a bit stumped faced with an honesty box. I haven't had a cheque book since my last one ran out maybe 15 years ago.
If you donā€™t have the money to pay I take it you would move on

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you donā€™t have the money to pay I take it you would move on
It hasn't occurred yet but then I haven't been wandering much in U.K. since I abandoned cash in March.
I expect when things ease I'll have to carry cash for honesty boxes if I tour in the U.K. but for the past 12 years and until this year all of my touring has been abroad and I do still have a pot of pre-Covid Euro coins in the m/h.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Difficult to use online payment or cashless at car boot sales!

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Just had two nights at the ski centre as we were walking the mountains.
The donation boxes are for all vehicles and I didnā€™t see one single car put anything in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back