Slioch

Free Member
Apr 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Friends just returned from a short tour in Scotland. They stayed 2 nights at the Coire na Ciste car park (above Glenmore at the Ski Centre), which asked fir a £5 nightly contribution into an honesty box.
They were disgusted, as am I, by the number of vanners who didnt pay.
Some years ago, also in Scotland, I came across an Aire type MH park, which had EHU, and an honesty box. The EHU point was disconnected. I happened to meet the chap who collected the money every few days, he said they never had more than a few pounds in it, never enough to even cover the electricity.
Tens of thousands on buying and running a van, too mean to cough up.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Honesty Box at Stoer Lighthouse NW Scotland, smashed off the wall, no one knew inc us where to make a contribution, and I guess few could if the kiosk was not open, which it wasnt when we were there 18 months ago.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Stayed at a small Aire in France a year or two ago with service & EHU, a notice saying you could donate at the Marie. We made the effort of walking 1½ miles the Marie it was Sat afternoon so closed but no mail box so couldn't do much at least we tried. None of the other vans even tried.
I love being an FLT but but if payment or donation is asked for we aways pay if possible.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Honesty Box at Stoer Lighthouse NW Scotland, smashed off the wall, no one knew inc us where to make a contribution, and I guess few could if the kiosk was not open, which it wasnt when we were there 18 months ago.
LES
When was this ? we were there couple weeks back, girl came around in the evening to collect, honesty box was there then.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I’ve often wondered how many people pay for parking at the carpark at Eype near West Bay. That has an honesty box outside peak holiday season. I’ve never seen anyone pay as we’ve walked through, I suppose a lot of people just don’t carry cash any more and there it’s £2 or £4 and the shop is only open in peak holiday season as well so there’s nowhere to get change.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I’ve often wondered how many people pay for parking at the carpark at Eype near West Bay. That has an honesty box outside peak holiday season. I’ve never seen anyone pay as we’ve walked through, I suppose a lot of people just don’t carry cash any more and there it’s £2 or £4 and the shop is only open in peak holiday season as well so there’s nowhere to get change.
Not one for paying too much for anything, surely anyone could afford to put a fiver in

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
When was this ? we were there couple weeks back, girl came around in the evening to collect, honesty box was there then.

LES

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The problem with an honesty box is that, apart from those who just won't put anything it, not everyone has change/cash/small denomination notes nowadays and then of course there's the issue of security of the money once in the box, I'm sure local scrotes would soon work out where to get some easy cash!

Nowadays it would be much better to have a way to pay it online via a mobile app, quick and easy with no risk of the money being nicked, of course this could be done alongside the honesty box if required.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've seen people pull off an aire and then return after the person collecting the cash has left all for a few quid!
Quite common in France, tends to be historical. Aires came about in France because Motorhomes weren't allowed on campsites and they were free. A lot of the French still think they should be free.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
On the other hand, donations for parking at Helmsdale Harbour last year came to £3000. Maybe people are happier to give as it is for charity? Some people have contacted Gairloch Harbour to suggest that they put an honesty box on their new CDP.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The problem with an honesty box is that, apart from those who just won't put anything it, not everyone has change/cash/small denomination notes nowadays and then of course there's the issue of security of the money once in the box, I'm sure local scrotes would soon work out where to get some easy cash!

Nowadays it would be much better to have a way to pay it online via a mobile app, quick and easy with no risk of the money being nicked, of course this could be done alongside the honesty box if required.

I wouldn't assume that all the scrotes are locals. It hardly needs pointing out that dishonesty exists inside visiting MHs as this thread demonstrates.

Likewise, you shouldn't assume that when thefts take place on campsites, especially if you leave some belongings on your pitch when you go out for the day and they go missing, that the culprits must be outsiders. More likely to be your neighbours.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've seen people pull off an aire and then return after the person collecting the cash has left all for a few quid!
Quite common in France, tends to be historical. Aires came about in France because Motorhomes weren't allowed on campsites and they were free. A lot of the French still think they should be free.
Yes, the French do appear to be very adept at knowing exactly when to go out in the morning for their croissants and come back an hour later when the collector has been ... some even take their MHs with them! :giggle:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We visited Tyneham village in Dorset 2 or 3 years back and the car parking was by donation in honesty boxes and it was heart warming to see queues at the honesty boxes.

Tyneham village is well worth a visit if your down that way.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The problem with an honesty box is that, apart from those who just won't put anything it, not everyone has change/cash/small denomination notes nowadays ........
I haven't carried or touched any cash whatsoever since the March lockdown so I'd be a bit stumped faced with an honesty box. I haven't had a cheque book since my last one ran out maybe 15 years ago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I wouldn't assume that all the scrotes are locals. It hardly needs pointing out that dishonesty exists inside visiting MHs as this thread demonstrates.

Likewise, you shouldn't assume that when thefts take place on campsites, especially if you leave some belongings on your pitch when you go out for the day and they go missing, that the culprits must be outsiders. More likely to be your neighbours.
I didn't make the assumption that ALL the scrotes are locals, just that they would soon learn where to look for stuff. MHers etc do nick stuff too, at one of the showgrounds we were on a year or so ago one chap had his Mirrorguards nicked, others have had stuff taken too, some stallholders one year had gennys nicked.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Couldn't agree more, some people say that they have had bikes nicked at gravelines and it must be locals or immigrants, but have always said it's more likely one of the other vans drawing on and off while you are sleeping.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I haven't carried or touched any cash whatsoever since the March lockdown so I'd be a bit stumped faced with an honesty box. I haven't had a cheque book since my last one ran out maybe 15 years ago.
Strange the difference between people isn't it, I havnt used anything but cash since march.
Apart from online obviously.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
When we opened a savings Bond a few years ago with a company we hadn't used before the first payment into it had to be made by a ruddy cheque so we had to order a cheque book specifically to do it, until then we hadn't used one for a long time. As it was a nuisance having to order, wait for it to come through, send in etc, we now keep a couple of quid in a basic savings account with them now so that we are still 'active' thus if we open another Bond we can just do a bank transfer.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Only if you have online banking. We don’t, and won’t be having it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Usually have some small change in the car & van.
You often (used to) need some for car parks or supermarket trolleys.
There's quite a few Euros in the bowels of the floor when I dropped some and they found their way down an inaccessible crack, as if magnetised (at least they don't rattle).
I guess I'll return to that if things get back to 'normal'.

Last edited:

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I can honestly say that it hasn't bothered me when no-one came round to collect my fee.
I can also honestly say that I don't help the economy by buying my fuel at the local garage.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Only if you have online banking. We don’t, and won’t be having it.

That's OK until they tell you they are closing every branch within reasonable striking distance. Then, to pay a cheque in, you have to stand at a machine and enter every single one separately.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
....... on Harris they have created motorhome parking areas and ask for PayPal payment on signs on the sites
Seems I'll need to buy an internet phone to replace my Tesco £9.99 PAYG one just to pay for parking. Drat! :confused:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back