Tight or what? (2 Viewers)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
The best way to make sure your tip gets to the right person is to give it to them directly, in cash. Should you wish to pay for a Big Issue, I doubt that they'd accept a card, similarly if tipping a tour guide or coach driver...

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Summer 2018 - London Buskers were ready to take your money :)
source

May need an update to see how well that went.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Difficult to use online payment or cashless at car boot sales!
I've only ever been to one - as a seller to get rid of clothes and flat contents for my DIL's college friend as she was about to return home to Australia: Silly o'clock on a wet Sunday in a muddy field, 25p being most people's starting bid.
I gave her 50 quid and came back via the local tip. If I never see another car boot sale it'll be a week too soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've only ever been to one - as a seller to get rid of clothes and flat contents for my DIL's college friend as she was about to return home to Australia: Silly o'clock on a wet Sunday in a muddy field, 25p being most people's starting bid.
I gave her 50 quid and came back via the local tip. If I never see another car boot sale it'll be a week too soon.
They do vary a lot by location and time of year, we've had some stonking stuff over the years and equipped our MHs/campers with various bits and bobs we've bought there, we've even got MH specific stuff like a new FIamma toilet cassette, drive away awnings, levellers etc ... also a Remoska, Cadac, tap ... obviously at present they pickings are very slim but we usually come away with something even if it's only a soft toy for the dog! :giggle:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
They do vary a lot by location and time of year, we've had some stonking stuff over the years.......
Yup, I believe there are bargains to be had.

Rat shit straps.jpg

Last edited:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
They need to put up a QR code/RingGo or something where you can pay your donations. This will give a much higher chance of anyone paying and provides lower real transaction costs. Yes, there will be a commission on the money collected.

The sign on the noticeboard at Stoer Lighthouse mentions that donations can be made by Paypal to the Assynt Crofters' Trust, and gives the email address for payment.

We stayed there a few weeks ago, and I sent a payment as soon as we arrived, with a note of my registration mark and a thank you for the provision. A lady from the trust came round later in the evening collecting donations from vans intending staying overnight. I showed her the receipt on my phone, and she commented that she would only have asked me for half what I had paid.

I told her that I didn't mind, was quite happy to pay for the view, and hoped that the donation helped.

"Wild camping" for us is not about getting something for nothing. It is about being able to stop in beautiful locations and appreciate the environment, without the rigidity of having to line up on a campsite and, more often than not, suffer the thoughtlessness of other "campers". We are more than happy to pay a reasonable amount for the privilege, and do so whenever the opportunity arises. I carry a pack of small cash envelopes to put donations in, on which I write our registration and a note of thanks whenever posting in a collection box or letterbox in a closed office.

If people or organisations have been thoughtful or enlightened enough to make provision for us, they need encouragement and to feel that it is worth their while, not being left to clear up other people's mess and finding that it is costing them to provide the service.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Friends just returned from a short tour in Scotland. They stayed 2 nights at the Coire na Ciste car park (above Glenmore at the Ski Centre), which asked fir a £5 nightly contribution into an honesty box.
They were disgusted, as am I, by the number of vanners who didnt pay.
Some years ago, also in Scotland, I came across an Aire type MH park, which had EHU, and an honesty box. The EHU point was disconnected. I happened to meet the chap who collected the money every few days, he said they never had more than a few pounds in it, never enough to even cover the electricity.
Tens of thousands on buying and running a van, too mean to cough up.
This is something which always amuses me. People will pay Tens and Tens of thousands or in some cases well in excess of £100k for a MH but ask to fork out a few quid to park overnight............... There, we all different, just as well even our friends in Europe.

We were once going onto a paid Aire with barrier control in France and a Foreign gentleman (it wouldn't be fair on his fellow countryman to mention his nationality) behind us tried to follow us under the barrier at the same time. Luckily for him the barrier stayed up and didn't come down on his MH. I can only image he must do the same on exit, as this particular Aire charge (via pre paid account) on exit.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
When they first started without doubt there were rich pickings , while everyone cleared their lofts /garages etc NOW it’s all tat I gave up a good 10 yrs ago but I must admit I was there from the start and very very good finds

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This is something which always amuses me. People will pay Tens and Tens of thousands or in some cases well in excess of £100k for a MH but ask to fork out a few quid to park overnight............... There, we all different, just as well even our friends in Europe.

We were once going onto a paid Aire with barrier control in France and a Foreign gentleman (it wouldn't be fair on his fellow countryman to mention his nationality) behind us tried to follow us under the barrier at the same time. Luckily for him the barrier stayed up and didn't come down on his MH. I can only image he must do the same on exit, as this particular Aire charge (via pre paid account) on exit.
We had someone follow us out, perhaps the same chap.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We had someone follow us out, perhaps the same chap.
If someone tried to do that with us I'd made a point of getting out and standing behind our MH until the barrier came down to stop them!

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I used to travel through the Mersey tunnel to work and one. Day this big Mercedes was right behind me when I paid and he drove through without paying before the barrier came down , I recognised him and it was the son of a very big haulage contractor ,the tight sod .

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Strange the difference between people isn't it, I havnt used anything but cash since march.
Apart from online obviously.
In France and Spain right now many shops have notices asking you to pay by card, and contactless where possible, because of the risk of Covid transmission.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
To all of you who go out of your way to ensure you can pay in these mainly out of the way places, good for you, to all the others who can’t / won’t get cash cos there’s no banks, cash machines blah blah blah are probably the f.l.T’s mingebag scrotes being referred to in previous posts. Surely it’s not to much trouble to carry a small float say £20 in fivers. If you know you're going to use this type of place (and most do) then make sure you can pay and don’t be a tosser. Nuff said:censored:
That is sensible. It is just like having a float of coins for the laundrettes if you use them.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
We visited Tyneham village in Dorset 2 or 3 years back and the car parking was by donation in honesty boxes and it was heart warming to see queues at the honesty boxes.

Tyneham village is well worth a visit if your down that way.

Beautiful place, intensely moving when one appreciates that those poor people could never return to their homes in this idyllic valley after the war was over.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Friends just returned from a short tour in Scotland. They stayed 2 nights at the Coire na Ciste car park (above Glenmore at the Ski Centre), which asked fir a £5 nightly contribution into an honesty box.
They were disgusted, as am I, by the number of vanners who didnt pay.
Some years ago, also in Scotland, I came across an Aire type MH park, which had EHU, and an honesty box. The EHU point was disconnected. I happened to meet the chap who collected the money every few days, he said they never had more than a few pounds in it, never enough to even cover the electricity.
Tens of thousands on buying and running a van, too mean to cough up.
Refusal to pay a measly £5 a night for somewhere to park up is meaner than mean, some people don’t want to pay for anything at all, take take take.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I've seen people pull off an aire and then return after the person collecting the cash has left all for a few quid!
Seen this many a time in France, a lot of them know what time the collector comes and vanish as he arrives, use to happen regularly in Le Tréport years ago, even seen some disconnecting their hookup leads and driving out while the two lady collectors walking walking around the vans, then returning half hour later, some of the French will get up and leave 6.30 am, makes you wonder, why.

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Hi, I love honesty boxes, always pay good for parking, roadside eggs, veg etc, saw my first in Goodrington Sands Devon in the 1960s for newspapers.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I don’t like paying to shop in shopping malls. But I don’t mind paying to park up for the night in aires or the like

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The problem with an honesty box is that, apart from those who just won't put anything it, not everyone has change/cash/small denomination notes nowadays and then of course there's the issue of security of the money once in the box, I'm sure local scrotes would soon work out where to get some easy cash!

Nowadays it would be much better to have a way to pay it online via a mobile app, quick and easy with no risk of the money being nicked, of course this could be done alongside the honesty box if required.
Which is exactly what happens to the one at the ski centre in Glencoe.
Before i left facebook there was a former employee from there making it public on a group that it was common practice for whoever emptied the box to help themselves to most of it as there was no proof etc of deposits.
Unless the boss is going to frisk the staff how would they know.

No good the punters being honest if the staff collecting the donations arent 🤷🏻‍♂️

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I wouldn't assume that all the scrotes are locals. It hardly needs pointing out that dishonesty exists inside visiting MHs as this thread demonstrates.

Likewise, you shouldn't assume that when thefts take place on campsites, especially if you leave some belongings on your pitch when you go out for the day and they go missing, that the culprits must be outsiders. More likely to be your neighbours.
One of the many reasons i try to avoid campsites AND busy aires .

Heard too many stories of fridge vents , covers , wheeltrims etc being nicked

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I haven't carried or touched any cash whatsoever since the March lockdown so I'd be a bit stumped faced with an honesty box. I haven't had a cheque book since my last one ran out maybe 15 years ago.
Strange the difference between people isn't it, I havnt used anything but cash since march.
Apart from online obviously.
I very rarely use cash ...nowadays you can switch any amount without charge so back home i never carried cash ...ive to make a point of changing notes here so i have coins for carparks or water points etc
Everything else goes on my card

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Have you got a piece of paper handy, John?

Write the date on it.

Then I promise to pay Movan. £100

Sign it and send it to me with details of your bank. It's a cheque and will bring you good fortune. :giggler:. You have to complete the process to fulfill the good luck charm of a cheque.
Movan then you double it and send it to me please. :clap2:

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Welcome to the 21st century, if you don't keep up you get left behind.
True, but I'm not too concerned about being left behind as I'm not that interested in where those in front are going.

;) ;)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I must admit I was against it big time and swore blind I would never use it BUT lockdown in mar I thought I would give it a go and wish I did it many years ago !!!!
Its just so convenient, never need to go to a bank I do everything online

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back