Thinking of buying a globecar - hepl! (1 Viewer)

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
If you were writing a review of Globecar what would you say: pros and cons?

I am almost at the point of ordering a Globecar so all contributions would help me!

ronidog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a 2015 Globecar FamilyScout L (model not made anymore) and love it! We've had it over 2 years and have put on over 20,000 miles and use it for at least 13 weeks a year (2 chunks), for us and out 3 dogs ... apart from some stupid things the main furniture etc and furnishings have stood up very well to the 'use' we've put them through!

The only 'real' grumble we have is that the end of the bed where you head goes has a window which is daft so we sleep the other way round but the locker over our heads is too low but that's our own fault because we sleep the opposite way round to what it was designed for.:D2

Some of things which annoyed us have been changed like a full height kitchen tap so I can get my kettle under it rather than the stupid low one! I've also put a couple of metal hinges/supports under the flip up worktop extension, replacing the flimsy plastic single one that was on originally. Other than that I've just done stuff to suit us, nothing wrong with the camper itself.

What model are you looking at?

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
I am looking at the Roadscout R.

We use our van a lot but never totally loved it. Like you done 20,00 miles in 2.5 years all over the UK with the dog.

I read the modifications you have done in another thread and am impressed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
In York at the moment so limited access. Did you get it from Preston?

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Oops I fell for the salesmans patter :rolleyes: i now need to read more about your modifications minxy

Ronidog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The 'mods' never end! There's always something I want to tinker with ... I just love fettling!!! :D2

There are quite a few Globecar owners on the forum so hopefully they'll chip in with their views soon!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Yes thanks for your help Vanman. They seem to be, OK not pushy and reasonable on price.

Ronidog

Last edited:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 2017 Campscout and just love it, the amount of storage is unbelievable and a bed virtually 2 metre square.
We've just done over 2000 miles with only one problem the compressor fridge and it was quickly replaced.
Fantastic van.

John.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
@jezport @ludo

Would you like to give thoughts on your lovely Globecars? I'm sure Roni would appreciate them. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
They look really nice vans, I think the cheaper ones look a bit basic and you can tell they were made in huge numbers on a conveyor line, the dearer ones much nicer as expected. A different feel altogether when going in a top of the range model.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Hi
We have a Campscout Revolution
Had a couple of odd issues when we first had van due to a poor earth connection at control box that took a bit of resolving.
Not seen any other PVC that we would prefer though there are not many with the extra high roof which we were wanted.
Van has plenty storage as Minxy says.
With the Revolution we can carry two bikes inside and still use the bed
As long as the layout is what you are after you are not going to go far wrong with the Globecar

ps We have also altered the hinge on the worktop extension

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
@jezport @ludo

Would you like to give thoughts on your lovely Globecars? I'm sure Roni would appreciate them. :)

What can I say Mel, I think you have said it all! Firstly, having had 9 new vans now since 1989, coachbuilt and van conversions, I have to say that there is nothing like a Globecar, they are brilliant in every way. Nothing out there to touch them!

Now Mel, do not say anything, not a word and before you start SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!

Our Globecar Familyscout L has gone! All being well we get a new van 1st September 2017

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
They look really nice vans, I think the cheaper ones look a bit basic and you can tell they were made in huge numbers on a conveyor line, the dearer ones much nicer as expected. A different feel altogether when going in a top of the range model.

I think that you will find that all Globecars are of the same quality the only variations are the models. Models only vary in size and layout, the quality and components used are the same in all models. There is no choice in respect of L/GL/GLX etc., so I do not understand this quote.

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Thanks to all of you for your contributions, very useful.

Which driving cab mats did you get? There seems to be number of non fiat ones online so any help would be good. Do they stay in place, I am worried that they could ruck up under the pedals!, Just overthinking as usual.

Ronidog

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The FIAT cab has tethering hooks on the floor, so any 'fitted' mats should have eyes to make rucking not a problem (I'd have thought) :)

Deleted User
Thanks to all of you for your contributions, very useful.

Which driving cab mats did you get? There seems to be number of non fiat ones online so any help would be good. Do they stay in place, I am worried that they could ruck up under the pedals!, Just overthinking as usual.

Ronidog

Cheap Lidl/Aldi mat, it does move a bit but not a problem, if it was a problem a few bits of blue tack or something would keep it in place.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
We have a 2016 6mtr Globescout. Bought cab mat at a Motorhome show. We chose this model for the 3 way absorption fridge and its toilet with a solid door instead of the central washroom with screen doors. No problem sleeping heads to window as we have fixed in a nice padded unit. Travelled this year to southern spain with no problems with vehicle or leisure batteries or the dual elec/gas heating unit. No extra battery needed as we like to pop into Campsites every few days for hook up. We travel with an old shower curtain to weather proof the back doors by fixing it across the back when needed. We have a portable brief case sola unit for emergency but as yet never needed.
Agree all models are built with same quality.
Lorna & I will be at the Shepton Mallet show if other funsters would like to peruse!
Brian

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
RO
Re the hinge
The pins on the part that rotates are plastic and I think someone had put too much weight on it prior to us owning the van and bent the pins.
Anyway I drilled out the pins and and glued in a couple of metal ones instead
Will get around to fitting a new metal hinge at some point if it causes issues agains

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
WARNING - CHECK YOUR SHOWER TRAYS!!!!!

Not sure I still 'want' to say Globecars are built well! I've just discovered that the shower tray in ours has cracked in 3 places!!! :swear:

On closer inspection the 3 places are about an inch long between the 'uprights' that support the removable wooden cover, there is NO support under the edge parts of the tray at all, not on any of the sides - obviously this isn't such an issue on the rear, wardrobe and toilet sides of the tray which you don't 'go near' much but where you access the tray from the main corridor of the camper it gets more use and is seriously NOT made sufficiently well for the purpose it is meant for!

Unhappy is NOT the word I'm searching for ... fuming would be the more appropriate one that I can 'say' on a forum, the real words I'm thinking are not repeatable!!!! :swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2:

Of course we're now out of warranty so I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this except to see if I can get it sorted as a 'not fit for purpose' situation as it clearly isn't!

IMG_20170824_221913.jpg
IMG_20170824_221924.jpg
IMG_20170824_222139.jpg

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Oh, thats really bad. I hope you can get it sorted amicably. Signature told me that globecar are great at soting issues out. I hope this proves to be true

Ronidog

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What can I say Mel, I think you have said it all! Firstly, having had 9 new vans now since 1989, coachbuilt and van conversions, I have to say that there is nothing like a Globecar, they are brilliant in every way. Nothing out there to touch them!

Now Mel, do not say anything, not a word and before you start SHUT UP, SHUT UP!!!

Our Globecar Familyscout L has gone! All being well we get a new van 1st September 2017

upload_2017-8-24_23-7-45.jpeg

images

upload_2017-8-24_23-8-38.jpeg

upload_2017-8-24_23-10-5.jpeg

????

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear that what a shock, that sounds poor, hopefully a one off and not a design\material used fault.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016

Not sure I still 'want' to say Globecars are built well! I've just discovered that the shower tray in ours has cracked in 3 places!!! :swear:

Oh dear :( that Is not good.
IIRC, from watching the construction video, the shower tray is an integral part of the entire floor assembly, that goes in before the interior of the van is fitted out. I've no idea how that is fixed. :(

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

On closer inspection the 3 places are about an inch long between the 'uprights' that support the removable wooden cover, there is NO support under the edge parts of the tray at all, not on any of the sides - obviously this isn't such an issue on the rear, wardrobe and toilet sides of the tray which you don't 'go near' much but where you access the tray from the main corridor of the camper it gets more use and is seriously NOT made sufficiently well for the purpose it is meant for!

Unhappy is NOT the word I'm searching for ... fuming would be the more appropriate one that I can 'say' on a forum, the real words I'm thinking are not repeatable!!!! :swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2::swear2:

Of course we're now out of warranty so I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this except to see if I can get it sorted as a 'not fit for purpose' situation as it clearly isn't!

View attachment 181715 View attachment 181716 View attachment 181717

Shocked to hear of your problem. We hope that you are able to get it sorted and, hopefully, replaced easily. I have never heard of a similar situation before.

I am not sure whether or not you can get the tray out and I can't check ours because, as you know, it has gone! If you are able to get it out and find that it's hollow, perhaps filling the voids with expanding foam would give added strength.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back