They should be ashamed who chucked this away (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Took some stuff to the tip this morning and inside the metal skip were 2 bikes, well I got them out and had a look, both old Raleighs, one from the early nineties and one much earlier

I had my pump in the car and pumped tyres up, just look at this nineties one I have been riding about on today

£15 for 2 bikes, disgraceful, on the older one the original bell and Raleigh badges are worth more than that alone

Anyway this is the one I have been out on today, Raleigh early to mid 90s. Pioneer Classic hand built in Nottingham, 10 speed, all gears work beautiful. Photos are as its come out of the skip, I've just given it a clean at home and it's not got a bit of rust on.
Imagine the crap today you can buy new for £80 working after 25 to 30 years

The older one is a 70s I think 3 speed ladies bike, sturdy archer gears enclosed in the rear wheel hub, really rusty but all works perfect, forgot to take a photo but had that out too. It's obviously not been ridden for years but just shows you the quality they produced in the 70s.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Our tip has a "re-use" centre..
If there is anything you may think is still useable, you place it in a certain area.
On the site is a Portacabin and operated by a local Hospice, they re-sell the items from there and very cheap.
All makes sense to me, far to much useable stuff gets thrown away.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
If there is anything you may think is still useable, you place it in a certain area.
On the site is a Portacabin and operated by a local Hospice, they re-sell the items from there and very cheap.
I've seen a site like this in the UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I am a member of our local recycle group. Anything too good to be thrown out is advertised and given away for free. I've given and received some nice stuff. We've also been given broken things that we've repaired and then given away.

It's such a throw away society that no one sees potential in anything.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Some people are just too lazy to reduce, refuse, recycle. My son in law’s finds at their local tip include an almost new pink scooter ( granddaughter used it for 2 years) and a soldier’s bible. My daughter traced its original owner from name and number inside and found he’d signed up with one of the Pals regiments.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

This tip is the same, a proper shop on site where they sell stuff, but these had just been chucked in the skip this morning. What a bargain.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our tip..... Once it's in the skip it's theirs..
Even the person who chucked it in can't retrieve it.
If it was dumped by mistake a tip worker has to be located.....normally in the tea cabin but they're watching you all the time.... And ask them to get it.

Used to be a free for all, then the staff set up a 'market' type stall for better junk and charged for stuff then it stopped altogether

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Friends of ours before we left Uk had a clear out & 2 Claud Butler mountain bikes went to the tip.they were the cheapest out of the 8 in the garage.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Sadly the local transfer station has become a one direction site.

The removal of items is forbidden.

Ours is the same, it is a private contractor run tip as most are. Apparently they get a few quid for the empty gas bottles and not a chance you can have one.

Reactions: Les
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Raleigh probably didn't have Red Ken and the unions destroying the industry in the way they did British Leyland.
Cheap imports from China did them in eventually. :(

Actually it was the succession of vulture capitalists/management buy-outs that screwed Raleigh over.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If it was dumped by mistake a tip worker has to be located.....normally in the tea cabin but they're watching you all the time.... And ask them to get it.

Used to be a free for all, then the staff set up a 'market' type stall for better junk and charged for stuff then it stopped altogether
Same here and it's totally wrong.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I had a Raleigh when I was about 8, we hammered them me and my brother. They never once broke at all, not even a cable. They were abused as well as used and never missed a beat.

I remember the next ones which were made by Hawk, or imported by Hawk.

They lasted months before the front forks buckled under the weight of gutter jumping. I swear the original Raleigh bikes are still going.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We never appreciated Raleigh bikes in the 70s thought they were junk like the Raliegh Chopper and Raliegh Shopper wanting anything Italian or made by the independents like Claude Butler

I had a Raleigh Randonneur in the early 80's which I kept for years and the quality was superb

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Raleigh were one of the most prestigious brands in the early 80's ...their bikes were ridden by Tour de France winners. They had a special "skunkworks" division in Worksop that produced bespoke handbuilt bikes for the top Pro's ?

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We never appreciated Raleigh bikes in the 70s thought they were junk like the Raliegh Chopper and Raliegh Shopper wanting anything Italian or made by the independents like Claude Butler

I had a Raleigh Randonneur in the early 80's which I kept for years and the quality was superb

I bet you wish you had a couple of those good condition Choppers today to sell on.
We could never afford one.

Do you ever wonder if your old 80s Raleigh is still being used today, or was it chucked into a tip I wonder.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

The bikes were theirs, I bought them after they came over and took them to the tip shop.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019

Same at ours.. Once its in there nobody can take it.

Shame as see useful bits and pieces each time. Have to be quick and ask before they throw it in.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I was surprised, being there an hourish pumping tyres up, taking bikes out for a spin etc, how much stuff they sold in the shop, people are coming in all the time.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
it was always a standing joke that when ever i went to the tip i came home with something usefull. Me and my son took a trailer full of hardcore and garden rubbish to the dump one sunday morning and it had all changed instead of tipping the trailer on the floor for the dozer to pick up you now had to carry it up stairs and tip into the containers. so we borrowed a bin and broom and shovel filled the bin and draggged it up the steps,during which my son laughingly said well at least you cant bring nothing home now . He was wrong i gained a lovely broom and shovel

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Actually it was the succession of vulture capitalists/management buy-outs that screwed Raleigh over.
And a factory that hadn't been modernised since before the war..No investment whatsoever..They still assemble bikes from parts produced in China in a small factory at Eastwood..BUSBY.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
I bid on one of the Skunkworks Raleigh vintage frames a few years back on Ebay ...just the frame, no wheels, handlebars, gears etc, went for £500

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Here's one .... ? Bargain at just under £3,000 for whats nearly a 40 year old steel frame....

<Broken link removed>

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When it is time to get rid of anything, it is worth looking at freecycle and facebook marketplace.

Facebook marketplace you can sell anything really quickly. Far better than ebay for stuff of low value as it goes really quick.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I had a Raleigh when I was about 8, we hammered them me and my brother. They never once broke at all, not even a cable. They were abused as well as used and never missed a beat.

I remember the next ones which were made by Hawk, or imported by Hawk.

They lasted months before the front forks buckled under the weight of gutter jumping. I swear the original Raleigh bikes are still going.

Yes same when we were kids, really abused them and no problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back