They should be ashamed who chucked this away (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
By the age of them it looks like a clear out from somebodies death. The relatives move in and bin everything, understandable if so ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Paul

That Raleigh 10-speed is a great find and they put mudguards on bikes in those days! Tyres look good.

I have a Dawes Super Galaxy, 24 gears, 15 years old and I expect that to last another 15 years minimum.

I took it into the local bike shop here in Poland to have the derailleur adjusted and he immediately said 'Quality bike that' - I was surprised he knew one. He also re-set the spokes - not many will do that now, instead sell a new wheel.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Our tip..... Once it's in the skip it's theirs..
Even the person who chucked it in can't retrieve it.
If it was dumped by mistake a tip worker has to be located.....normally in the tea cabin but they're watching you all the time.... And ask them to get it.

Used to be a free for all, then the staff set up a 'market' type stall for better junk and charged for stuff then it stopped altogether
Yep, mine's exactly the same. Subcontracted to Viridor. Everything has to be sorted by the person throwing the stuff away and then dumped over railings down into separate and individual dedicated huge skips below according to what it is: Garden. Household. Wood. Plastics. Metal, Paper/cardboard...etc. etc. Watched like hawks by the operatives and woe-betide anyone who tries to retrieve anything.
There's a cage with gas cylinders and I once asked to buy one but was refused on the grounds of elf 'n safety. He said they are returned to the distributors. Yeah, right. Boot sales or tame dealers more like, along with anything else that's saleable. There are some very nice luxury and 4x4 cars in the staff car park. Maybe I'll ask Viridor for details of what they do with re-saleable stuff and their recycling income under the Freedom of Information but I don't expect them to, being a private business
P.S. I can see the sense in their approach to gas cylinders and if they sold me one I would exchange it straight away at an official distributors for a filled replacement, but I very much doubt that they get as far as the distributors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well here's the other one I bought 2 for 15 quid

I was wrong it's a 1988 model this one, the hub denotes April 1988.

Now do any of you old engineering guys know what oil to put in the sturmey archer 3 gear hub, there is a lug that you pull up to put some oil in.
I have looked online and so much differing advice, 3 in 1 oil, car engine oil, lawnmower oil, special mineral oil,????

Also do you just fill up up in the hub when you pull the lug up?

There's a bit of rust but 32 years old everything still working. Rides a treat gears work. Basket front and rear. I mean the old bell is worth the £7.50 I paid for the whole bike, look at the inside of the bell, all quality.

The front Raleigh badge worth that too.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 11
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Well done you! Love going down the tip and the whole ethos - and fun - of recycling. Our tip has had a small shop for years, I used to buy old trunks, chests of drawers, tables, and do them up and sell them. Did quite well in the days when pine was popular, something I could do from home when our daughter was small, very therapeutic working with wood. Big percentage of things in our old cottage are tip or car boot sale finds.

There don’t seem to be any jumble sales these days in our area, do they still have them?

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

Most things from the 70s was built proper and made to last, not like today's throw away society trash, you may have got an odd exception which you have highlighted.
[/QUOTE]
You are kidding???

Cars built in the 70's would barely last 5 years. Warranty on a new car was 6-12 months only. They not only fell apart mechanically but they were also rust buckets. A common problem with minis and 1100s was the rear subframe rotting. They generally lasted 3-4 years at the most and it was quite a big job to change them. Mine was certainly not the exception but the norm. Today I have a 5 year warranty on both my cars and the motorhome chassis.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/opini...y-a-testament-to-research-and-technology.html

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Most things from the 70s was built proper and made to last, not like today's throw away society trash, you may have got an odd exception which you have highlighted.
You are kidding???

Cars built in the 70's would barely last 5 years. Warranty on a new car was 6-12 months only. They not only fell apart mechanically but they were also rust buckets. A common problem with minis and 1100s was the rear subframe rotting. They generally lasted 3-4 years at the most and it was quite a big job to change them. Mine was certainly not the exception but the norm. Today I have a 5 year warranty on both my cars and the motorhome chassis.

https://www.thestar.com/autos/opini...y-a-testament-to-research-and-technology.html
[/QUOTE]

You've already said cars I said that's one example, I wish we hadn't veered from the bike thread mind, maybe another thread to see who thinks what?

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No, I paid cash no bill or receipt.

A 'Bill of Sale' has nothing to do with bill and receipt in normal business.

A Bill of Sale is a legal document as evidence of transfer of title(ownership) from one person to another. It does not even have to show the price paid, as it can just include the words 'For valuable consideration'

I got one for the MH, but it was easy because the Seller was a policeman and understood what it is. I had one for my boat and executed one when I transferred the boat on.

Authorities, including a policeman on the beat asking where did you get that bike?, often require proof of title before they will deal with a purported 'owner'. The Bill of Sale' is the surest way.

Sorry if you already knew this, but your reply indicated not. The reply might be useful to others.

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
We downsized last year and as a result had loads of stuff to get rid of. The problem was that trying to sell (or even give away) items on Fleabay and Market Place wasn't always successful. We donated many items we couldn't re-home to charity shops, but even they are becoming picky about what they will accept.

Sadly we seem to live in a disposable society. Too much over-packaging, too much rubbish with built in obsolescence!

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

A Bill of Sale is a legal document as evidence of transfer of title(ownership) from one person to another. It does not even have to show the price paid, as it can just include the words 'For valuable consideration'

I got one for the MH, but it was easy because the Seller was a policeman and understood what it is. I had one for my boat and executed one when I transferred the boat on.

Authorities, including a policeman on the beat asking where did you get that bike?, often require proof of title before they will deal with a purported 'owner'. The Bill of Sale' is the surest way.

Sorry if you already knew this, but your reply indicated not. The reply might be useful to others.

Geoff, I do have photos of the bikes in the tip shop but that's all.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Nice bike that, I’ve nearly always traded in my bikes when I get a new one.
It amazes me the amount of tv’s you see at the tip, I can’t believe there all broken, but people must have the latest box to watch more rubbish on.

Super Course

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
New
Here's one .... ? Bargain at just under £3,000 for whats nearly a 40 year old steel frame....

<Broken link removed>
Hand built in Ilkeston and comparatively rare, particularly in mint condition. I refurbish vintage steel bikes particularly Carlton and Raleigh. This has been on EBay for some time and may one day sell although realistically they sell closer to £1500/£1600. Beautiful bikes and these are identical, coming out of the same factory, to the Professional Team bikes of the 70’s and early 80’s when Raleigh won the Tour De France. British designed and built bikes ridden in the main by Dutch riders.

Super Course

Free Member
Mar 15, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4i
Exp
New

Now do any of you old engineering guys know what oil to put in the sturmey archer 3 gear hub, there is a lug that you pull up to put some oil in.
I have looked online and so much differing advice, 3 in 1 oil, car engine oil, lawnmower oil, special mineral oil,????

There's a bit of rust but 32 years old everything still working. Rides a treat gears work. Basket front and rear. I mean the old bell is worth the £7.50 I paid for the whole bike, look at the inside of the bell, all quality.

View attachment 355605
View attachment 355606View attachment 355607View attachment 355608View attachment 355609View attachment 355610View attachment 355611View attachment 355611View attachment 355612View attachment 355614View attachment 355615View attachment 355616
That will clean up lovely. 3 in 1 oil is good for the gear hub.

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

Come on Geoff, I bought 2 bikes for £15 from the tip shop, I think you are being over cautious, not a cat in hells chance a copper will ask where I bought them from.i think you've been living in Poland too long if you think that.
I am riding this one whilst away at the minute, lovely bike, they both work a treat
B
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
My most fun raleigh was a racing tandem with both 4 speed and 8 speed gears drum brakes and alloy wheels, all summer school friends used to fight to ride pillion for the 4 miles to school, but when winter came! big problem was stopping it from 30+ mph had a few dicey moments. Saw it years later it had a cyclemaster engine fitted to it.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Come on Geoff, I bought 2 bikes for £15 from the tip shop, I think you are being over cautious, not a cat in hells chance a copper will ask where I bought them from.i think you've been living in Poland too long if you think that.

Well there is a secondhand cycle shop near my house in London which has a sign in the window stating 'No bikes bought without proof of ownership'

I think insurance companies want the same in a claim to stop scams.

Geoff

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I know its not in same league as a vintage raleigh bike but i spotted this bike by the side of the road with the rear wheel hanging out and a puncture .I asked the owner what was happening with it and she replied that it was out for the scrap collection, I was amazed why would you throw away a perfectly good bike away
bike.jpg

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016

View attachment 355605View attachment 355606View attachment 355607View attachment 355608View attachment 355609View attachment 355610View attachment 355611View attachment 355611View attachment 355612View attachment 355614View attachment 355615View attachment 355616
For hub gears like
That will clean up lovely. 3 in 1 oil is good for the gear hub.
For gear hubs we always used to "push" as you can't pour agrigrease in, never made a sound after that and funnily not a lot slower.
Phil

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Here’s another story about an old bike frame, I bought this GT Xizang Ti frame new in 1993 for £850. I sold it last month for £800, I probably rode it 22 of those years as I bought a full susser a few years ago. I sold it to an old workmate who lives just down the road from me so I might still see it sometime.
B739FC7F-74EE-442E-A523-4848E62181F6.jpeg
5A2A9AE0-9CBA-4707-931E-97B636BABCCD.jpeg

Last edited:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
When it is time to get rid of anything, it is worth looking at freecycle and facebook marketplace.

Facebook marketplace you can sell anything really quickly. Far better than ebay for stuff of low value as it goes really quick.
I got rid of a load of bits and pieces of building materials left over from our extension on Freecycle. Even small quantities of stuff like plastic pipes were collected by somebody who had a use for them.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Our tip..... Once it's in the skip it's theirs..
Even the person who chucked it in can't retrieve it.
If it was dumped by mistake a tip worker has to be located.....normally in the tea cabin but they're watching you all the time.... And ask them to get it.

Used to be a free for all, then the staff set up a 'market' type stall for better junk and charged for stuff then it stopped altogether
Exactly the same here. It's time things changed.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Drain out whatever is in it (if anything) then squirt in enough engine Molyslip additive to cover the gears when the wheel is rotated. Put too much in & it will leak out of the bearings anyway. Moly coats everything and prevents rust and you'll be amazed at how smooth it all is.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019

Get some solvo autosol on the chrome it ain’t cheap but you won’t regret buying it.✅

View attachment 355605View attachment 355606View attachment 355607View attachment 355608View attachment 355609View attachment 355610View attachment 355611View attachment 355611View attachment 355612View attachment 355614View attachment 355615View attachment 355616

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Expand to see my post I don’t know what happened there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun