Thermal Cookers (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I am thinking about one of these. Do not know much about them but we are doing a few rallies this year where there will be no hook-up and wondered what the general view is as they are pretty expensive. Last year I bought a remoska after asking for advice on the forum and I am thrilled with it. Any advice would be welcome.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've never been convinced - expensive gadgetry.
I understand the "Straw Box" cooking principle - and indeed my Dad used to do a fab 5 minute whole chicken...

What about a Pressure Cooker for off grid.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Assume you mean a MrD, rather than a solar powered thing?
MrD works. You do all the work in the morning and everything is in the pot, waiting for your return at the end of the day. Great for winter. It will also cook whilst on the move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
I've never been convinced - expensive gadgetry.
I understand the "Straw Box" cooking principle - and indeed my Dad used to do a fab 5 minute whole chicken...

What about a Pressure Cooker for off grid.
Mmmm, remember the hissing whilst suffering all night fishing with my dad on the beach whilst mum made her "mystery stew"! It was good tho, but like the idea of just letting the food cook on its own.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Assume you mean a MrD, rather than a solar powered thing?
MrD works. You do all the work in the morning and everything is in the pot, waiting for your return at the end of the day. Great for winter. It will also cook whilst on the move.
Yes was thinking of this but had not realised there were others. All pretty expensive. Does Mr D. Lock?

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I tried MrD but was not impressed the pot has a huge lump of rough cast iron that scratched any surface it came near-it’s needed to retain the heat.
It makes it very heavy to cope with-washing etc.
I just didn’t like it-sold it.
Pressure Cookers frighten the whatsits out of me-years ago mum had one blow up it embedded the weights etc in the ceiling!
I thought I would try one-yes the modern ones are good & they’re safe!
By the time you’ve browned meat etc, got it up to steam, kept an eye on it so it doesn’t get too much pressure or looses pressure, waited for it to cool down enough to open.....
I thought ‘sod it’ I will stick to my Remoska & Slow Pot when on EHU & use my gas oven-that’s why it’s there. We only have stews in the winter!

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
I tried MrD but was not impressed the pot has a huge lump of rough cast iron that scratched any surface it came near-it’s needed to retain the heat.
It makes it very heavy to cope with-washing etc.
I just didn’t like it-sold it.
Pressure Cookers frighten the whatsits out of me-years ago mum had one blow up it embedded the weights etc in the ceiling!
I thought I would try one-yes the modern ones are good & they’re safe!
By the time you’ve browned meat etc, got it up to steam, kept an eye on it so it doesn’t get too much pressure or looses pressure, waited for it to cool down enough to open.....
I thought ‘sod it’ I will stick to my Remoska & Slow Pot when on EHU & use my gas oven-that’s why it’s there. We only have stews in the winter!

This was my thinking. However, our vans oven is so small that almost impossible to get a casserole dish in, hence the remoska and the thoughts of thermal cooker. Interested in your comment re weight, this will certainly influence me! For over 40 years had a great oven in caravans but this is the one downside of a continental van.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I'm a bit confused about the cast iron reference. Mine hasn't got that, it wouldnt scratch a surface more than any other pan?

I've just weighed it out of curiosity, a little over 9lbs.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
On hookup a slow cooker on high 400w cook a whole chicken in 4-5 hours
Yes I do have a slow cooker for emu but my issue is when no hookup. But thank you for info.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Oops that blooming emu gets everywhere! I did of course mean electric hook up.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
I'm a bit confused about the cast iron reference. Mine hasn't got that, it wouldnt scratch a surface more than any other pan?

I've just weighed it out of curiosity, a little over 9lbs.
What size did you get? There are only 2 of us.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
What size did you get? There are only 2 of us.
I'll be honest, I don't know. I bought it from a funster in the classified s on here last year & haven't used it yet!
Not very scientific:LOL: but I've just filled the main bit & it took about 3litres, see pic
IMG_20190215_172617.jpg

There's only me & I'd say it's plenty for two. @Anthea M has kindly lent me her cookbook for it

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Interesting, see the bit about cooking smaller quantities (mine came with the Top Pot)
IMG_20190215_174322.jpg

Amazing what you can learn when you read the manual:LOL:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You need a good heavy bottomed pan that will keep hot and an old quilt.
That’s the theory of a ‘hay-box’ no hay involved!

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is the cast iron lump @Shrimp mentioned that made some horrible scratches on our sink.

7E2A4662-23B5-4861-875C-5F9ABC235FD5.jpeg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes was thinking of this but had not realised there were others. All pretty expensive. Does Mr D. Lock?
The title was not clear enough to me. Most cookers are thermal and I had in mind one that concentrates sunshine onto a cooking pot.

MrD does not have a lock that works with a key. Recipes are OK but I don't expect there to be many occasions when contents have been removed from them without consent! :D
The lid does fasten securely enough to stop contents spilling out. If they did spill, they would go into the outer container/flask.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You need a good heavy bottomed pan that will keep hot and an old quilt.
That’s the theory of a ‘hay-box’ no hay involved!
The contents cook from the residual heat of the contents. The lump of iron on the bottom helps with the combined heat capacity. It is also useful if you wanted to heat it on an induction stove, as stainless steel would not work. You tend to cook a full pot (generous for two) to maximise the residual heat contained.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
The title was not clear enough to me. Most cookers are thermal and I had in mind one that concentrates sunshine onto a cooking pot.

MrD does not have a lock that works with a key. Recipes are OK but I don't expect there to be many occasions when contents have been removed from them without consent! :D
The lid does fasten securely enough to stop contents spilling out. If they did spill, they would go into the outer container/flask.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Interesting, see the bit about cooking smaller quantities (mine came with the Top Pot)
View attachment 283913
Amazing what you can learn when you read the manual:LOL:
Look forward t hearing about your first meal from this! Many thanks.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Look forward t hearing about your first meal from this! Many thanks.
I'll report back:LOL:
there's quite a few recipes in the book. I guess once you've used it a few times it's easy to adapt other ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back