Thermal Cookers (1 Viewer)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The plastic base would apply to the outer vacuum (which you don't heat).
The inner pot is the one withe the iron base, for heating.
I think there have been two or three different versions.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I love my Mr D. Yes it is a bit expensive but if you love stews, curries etc. it does the job beautifully, I have cooked Mr D recipes such as Jambalaya, Goan fish curry, stews and I have also adapted other slow cooker and hob recipes for it. You use less fuel and once you’ve done the initial prep you’ve got s lovely meal ready when you want it.

We have the 3L version. The only downside is the cast ring on the bottom forms a really hot spot so you have to watch for burning but once you get used to it this isn’t too much of a problem.

For us it was definitely worth the investment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I
... The only downside is the cast ring on the bottom forms a really hot spot so you have to watch for burning but once you get used to it this isn’t too much of a problem.

It should go straight into the outer container (vacuum flask) as soon as you've done the heating. No need to put it anywhere else(?)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It should go straight into the outer container (vacuum flask) as soon as you've done the heating. No need to put it anywhere else(?)
I think the reference to hot spots is for when it is on the stove as the ring causes that part of the base to get hotter than the parts without it, hence food laying on that whilst being heated up can be burnt, once off the stove and in the outer pot itself there should be no hot spots so long as the contents are stirred well before being put in and sealed up.

Reactions: Ven
Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
Wonder if they've altered the design? mine has a plastic base.

They changed the design (and possibly supplier I suppose) as they had to order such a large quantity of the original design it was too much for them. The additional metal base has been added as the pot size has reduced and the extra metal is needed to keep the food hot enough to cook through. We have the previous version and its excellent but does mean we tend to cook large quantities just for the two of us. We regularly use it at home and in the car if we are out for the day at an event (motorhome show!) and its great coming back to curry or stew before we travel back.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I think the reference to hot spots is for when it is on the stove as the ring causes that part of the base to get hotter than the parts without it, hence food laying on that whilst being heated up can be burnt, once off the stove and in the outer pot itself there should be no hot spots so long as the contents are stirred well before being put in and sealed up.

Indeed :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I understand, now, although have not experienced that problem.
Maybe you should stir more?
I think the hottest part, while on a gas ring, might be the uncovered part of the thin base. I'd expect the thick ring to spread the heat rather than concentrate it.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
No it’s definitely the part of the pot attached to the cast iron ring that creates the hot spots (in my case anyway). You are right constant stirring alleviates the issue somewhat but it also depends what you are heating, it’s mainly an issue at the start of the cook before all the liquid is added.

I wouldn’t swap it though, we have had lots of delicious meals from it and use it whether on hook up or not.

We just use a silicon mat if we do wish to put it anywhere other than the outer container or the job.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I'll report back:LOL:
there's quite a few recipes in the book. I guess once you've used it a few times it's easy to adapt other ones.

I have converted a few recipes. As long as you end up with plenty of liquid and you boil it for a minimum 5 minutes before you put it in the outer container it will cook well and be the required temperature.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Caravanner 40 years. Motorhome 8
I have converted a few recipes. As long as you end up with plenty of liquid and you boil it for a minimum 5 minutes before you put it in the outer container it will cook well and be the required temperature.
Still trying to understand what you can cook - not roasts then? Or heat pies etc?

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
Should I be looking at a double skillet if I can find one?

Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have one had it 4 years we cook all sorts in it when stationary but comes into its own when travelling. Usually a chilli in inner pot and rice in top pot. Also pasta bake, stews, savoury In bottom pudding in top, curries, soups, Small whole chickens. It’s has a secure catch but we bungee ours while travelling to fixed table leg for security. The only thing to remember is to ensure you cook it long enough on stove before putting inner pot inside ‘flask’ part. Defs recommend yes it was expensive but I’m so frugal where electricity is concerned that I use it a lot at home too. I love my slow cooker when on EHU and at home but love that you have two pots in one so an entire meal can be cooked! I haven’t scratched anything with mine just remember to put a cloth in bottom of sink or on worktop if scratchable. Mines actually not that rough. Hope this helps. Ps MrD is on fb loads of recipes or you can buy the books online. Also my friend got one off eBay it was a bargain!

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Mr D is great for casseroles, chilli's, soups, stews, curries anything liquid based. If you get the smaller inner pot you can cook the rice, potatoes, veg at the same time. I have also made cakes and puddings in mine.

It is an expensive purchase but the main reason I bought it was I can prepare a great meal in the morning, take it off the heat and leave it cooking safely with no power source whilst we drive, go out for the day, sightsee, whatever. If driving I put it in my small cupboard where it's safe and secure.

I'd highly recommend it but think about what type of meals you eat/cook as like all gadgets if it doesn't work for you it'll be an expensive dust collector.

Lunnie

Free Member
Dec 28, 2015
Derby
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2004
I brought MrD last Oct. And I am well pleased with it, only been used at home, no problem of stratching or hot spot on my worktop... Purchased the cake pan too...
We are not usually on ehu.. But I have 2 Remoska small and large one was free other 2nd hand, 2sets of double skillets the original and a small set from a man in Bolton.
Also a fully S. S. Halogen oven for when I went camping with my son I set up camp kitchen for 6/8 of us.
Now my latest gadgets for home and away Pkp pressure cookers or really multicookers brought 5l so impressed brought the 6l as well use both together when family visit
If going to be on hookup then one will definitely be with me..
I own 3various sizes of slow cookers and used these in the past when camping.. But the pkp will replace them for camping..
The SS halogen is up for sale for £10 if anyone interested live in Derby, use a glass one in my home..
More ways of cooking we have too.. DIL says it is an illness but courses for courses..

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Still trying to understand what you can cook - not roasts then? Or heat pies etc?
No, but you can cook a chicken. It's not roast, more boiled, but well worth the trouble.
The cooking is slow and achieved by the heat stored at the beginning. Most of the heat is retained by filling with plenty of water, so it's not 'dry' cooking as you'd get in an Omnia or skillet. The bonus of MrD is that you can leave it to do it's stuff while you do something else and the finish time is not critical once you've completed the required cooking time. It keeps everything hot, ready for when you are.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It is an expensive purchase but the main reason I bought it was I can prepare a great meal in the morning, take it off the heat and leave it cooking safely with no power source whilst we drive, go out for the day, sightsee, whatever. If driving I put it in my small cupboard where it's safe and secure.

I'd highly recommend it but think about what type of meals you eat/cook as like all gadgets if it doesn't work for you it'll be an expensive dust collector.

Expensive if you don't use it, but no more so than a Remoska or Omnia in terms of what you get for your money. (If you want expensive, get a Thermomix.)

Dust collectors? I had a Dyson, and it sucked!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We have a small slow cooker. It takes a maximum of 90 watts (240 volts) and we run it on the 12v supply via a small invertor. On a bright day the battery levels don't appear to suffer at all. I do use a stove top pan to make sure everything is hot before it goes into the slow cooker. When driving it goes into the sink which is just the right size for it and I put a cork place mat between the flex and the side of the cooker. The flex is the heat resistant type but why not take any extra precaution you can?

You don't have to have liquid in the slow cooker - I do potatoes in their skins, wrapped in foil. Not quite baked potatoes but very tasty. Also a chicken will cook in it's own juices. The cheap cuts of meat do well in the slow cooker.

I know the MrD things work but just can't justify that sort of money for a fancy bean bag. If I really wanted one I'd make my own.

OP
OP
Pekepal
Dec 31, 2017
South East
Funster No
MH
Burstner T690G
Exp
We have a small slow cooker. It takes a maximum of 90 watts (240 volts) and we run it on the 12v supply via a small invertor. On a bright day the battery levels don't appear to suffer at all. I do use a stove top pan to make sure everything is hot before it goes into the slow cooker. When driving it goes into the sink which is just the right size for it and I put a cork place mat between the flex and the side of the cooker. The flex is the heat resistant type but why not take any extra precaution you can?

You don't have to have liquid in the slow cooker - I do potatoes in their skins, wrapped in foil. Not quite baked potatoes but very tasty. Also a chicken will cook in it's own juices. The cheap cuts of meat do well in the slow cooker.

I know the MrD things work but just can't justify that sort of money for a fancy bean bag. If I really wanted one I'd make my own.
It is the fact that Mr D works with no power which is tempting. Have slow cooker etc for normal use but it is when we have no electric hook-up. I think the bean bag is something called a wonderbag and I agree completely with your comments.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It is the fact that Mr D works with no power which is tempting.
Well, that's not quite true - you have to use 'power' to heat the food in the first place, energy can neither be created nor destroyed. All any of these thermal cookers do is slow the cooling process so what you're effectively doing is 'poaching' your food.
Back in the day, my Dad did a "Five Minute" chicken - basically a whole chicken, 6 forks inside, in a stockpot, covered with cold water & herbs/onions etc... brought to the boil, simmered for five minutes, then left to cool over the 12 hours, no insulation. Was pale & delicious, because it was slow poached chicken.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
....and the forks were for?
Conduction, apparently - aided heat getting directly to the inside...
I wish I could find the recipe - as it sounds like it contrary to all cooking safety... but my Dad [Vet] was paranoid about food hygiene & making sure any meat was thoroughly* cooked.

*for thoroughly read cremated, nuked into oblivion

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back