The Future of Diesel and Petrol Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone :)

I read today that the UK wants to stop the sale of all new Diesel and Petrol vehicles by 2030 and France the same by 2035. How are you all factoring this in when purchasing a MoHo? Does it bother you? Have you even thought about it? Is it too far in the future to worry about? Do you think these 'deadlines' will be extended anyway, out of necessity?

We're about to buy our first MoHo in France (secondhand) and, personally, this issue doesn't worry me at all as it'll probably be worn out anyway by that time, due to being used extensively :) Just wondering what other people's viewpoint is :)

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
A big IF all diesel/petrol sales are banned in 2030, a decently looked after motorhome should easily last 20 yrs. so that is 2050. Not many of us will see that

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
By 2030 diesel vans will not be permitted inside most towns (and all cities) throughout geographical northern Europe.

Fossil fuelled vehicles of all types, will have a steadily shrinking amount of road that you can use.
Although new vans sold today could still be around in the 2050's, (for example there are still many Hymers from the 1980's still around), you will be very limited on where you can drive them.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
CrackedCrystalBall_400x400.jpg

was going to reply but then :)

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
We should just count ourselves lucky to have been able to travel, tour the places and countries we have done. Future generations are not going to have that choice.
It’s going to be the same for motorbikes, again we’re very lucky to have been able to travel and tour on our motorbikes.
I’ll be 75 in 2035 so probably won’t be bothered about not travelling.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We should just count ourselves lucky to have been able to travel, tour the places and countries we have done. Future generations are not going to have that choice.
It’s going to be the same for motorbikes, again we’re very lucky to have been able to travel and tour on our motorbikes.
Are you saying we shall be under control by our dictators by then ?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
My half-assed plan is to wait until second hand electric vans (or at least non-fossil fuel) have a sensible range and then take the guts of whatever I'm using then to convert one. I say this in the knowledge that it might not happen given that I'm 65.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi everyone :)

I read today that the UK wants to stop the sale of all new Diesel and Petrol vehicles by 2030 and France the same by 2035. How are you all factoring this in when purchasing a MoHo? Does it bother you? Have you even thought about it? Is it too far in the future to worry about? Do you think these 'deadlines' will be extended anyway, out of necessity?

We're about to buy our first MoHo in France (secondhand) and, personally, this issue doesn't worry me at all as it'll probably be worn out anyway by that time, due to being used extensively :) Just wondering what other people's viewpoint is :)

Some light reading for you (y).

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I think they think I’ve got one of those cracked crystal balls at work too!

The country will grind to a halt unless we get alternative powered vans of any sort before then, the chances of that happening within the next five years which is the timeframe this needs to happen to make any difference is extremely unlikely.
A lot of countries are developing bio diesel alternatives which is more likely to come first.
The U.K. barely has enough capacity in the winter for electricity as it is so to cover the transition to electric vehicles on a big scale would mean a significant increase in power generation which we simply don’t have on the cards at the moment so I wouldn’t worry about it for the foreseeable.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think they think I’ve got one of those cracked crystal balls at work too!

The country will grind to a halt unless we get alternative powered vans of any sort before then, the chances of that happening within the next five years which is the timeframe this needs to happen to make any difference is extremely unlikely.
A lot of countries are developing bio diesel alternatives which is more likely to come first.
The U.K. barely has enough capacity in the winter for electricity as it is so to cover the transition to electric vehicles on a big scale would mean a significant increase in power generation which we simply don’t have on the cards at the moment so I wouldn’t worry about it for the foreseeable.
All the country folk ! Wonder if they will regret complaining about those unsightly wind turbines then ?.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am 76 now and still travelling throughout Europe and long may it continue.Dont right yourself off.BUSBY.

Jun 2, 2018
Beautiful North Wales border
Funster No
MH
Carado T449
Exp
Since 2015
By 2030 diesel vans will not be permitted inside most towns (and all cities) throughout geographical northern Europe.

Fossil fuelled vehicles of all types, will have a steadily shrinking amount of road that you can use.
Although new vans sold today could still be around in the 2050's, (for example there are still many Hymers from the 1980's still around), you will be very limited on where you can drive them.
Have you got a source for that - as it would destoy the logistics sector overnight (and the remaining diesel vehicle manufacturing and sales industry over the next few years). No sensible government will do this this quickly - leave alone all of northern Europe (why just N Europe in your prediction?). I suspect there will be a more gradual phasing in of any changes - and behaviour influenced by taxation and congestion charging in line with the declining lifespan of the diesel vehicles and increasing capability of the replacement electric fleet.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
(for example there are still many Hymers from the 1980's still around), you will be very limited on where you can drive them.
My last one was 1989 ,diesel & exempt from the UK emissios zones.
And the cost of diesel will have increased significantly
there is also red, heating oil ,any type of mineral oil ,whisky etc ; thar you can run a proper diesel on.
I don’t think there is an electric car that can tow yet.

So, there could be a problem for caravan owners.
Yes there are a few . Hyandai kona(?) can tow 2T. tesla can tow as well. Just that many won't ba able to afford the
I’m thinking I may be retired and living in Spain by then. Charging a little electric car by solar panels.

They may be taxing the effing sun ☀️ by then.
It is already taxed here. If you have a solar panel system you have to register it for annual tax which equates to the amount generated for use of the " electricity companies infrastructure".
Even if you have no access to electricity & have a battery system but are within a certain distance of electricity pylons, you are supposed to register.This is even if you have asked a company for electricity & they have told you no. The bearded one has a lot to answer for.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

can you tell me next weeks lottery numbers since you can read into the future ?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I am 76 now and still travelling throughout Europe and long may it continue.Dont right yourself off.BUSBY.
I mean that I won’t be too bothered about not travelling as we do now.
Last week there were nine bikes touring Scotland, average tank range 200 miles. All bikes refill in less than ten minutes ready for another 200 miles. That’s simply not possible with battery bikes. It would take hours to recharge them all. So the travelling as we’re used to is not going to continue. Just the cost of battery bikes will probably stop it happening. None of us can afford £25,000- £30,000 for a battery bike.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Dont blink, because by the end of this year there will be plenty that can tow

eg New Volvo XC40 Recharge full electric has a tow limit if 1800kg ( and 400+ hp and 600+ nm torque)
It’ll be interesting to see it’s range when towing. Also it’s ability to refuel in about three minutes. I keep reading about vehicles recharging to 80% in a shortish time. Who ever refuels to 80%?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Okay how about a different approach how much of the first world, and property/companies do the oil/gas producing companies own? About 90% as a conservative estimate! Now if you remove your consumers by banning petrol/diesel sales and bin natural gas how much will they own? Still about 90% So any Govt is happy to reduce its income by 90% to meet greenhouse gas emissions? No all they will do is buy up third world quotas, increase fuel duty in the first world and rely on the fact that most of the first world is incapable of walking/cycling any further than 20 miles! It won't happen until around 2080 when the oil/gas stocks are depleted by which time Hydrogen/Nuclear/Wind and tidal will have taken over and guess who will be funding it? The Oil nations! They are not going to throw away a monopoly on generating income. If you want to be really pessimistic I don't think anyone on this forum will be around to confirm it, however JIM many know otherwise!! :giggle:

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp

eg New Volvo XC40 Recharge full electric has a tow limit if 1800kg ( and 400+ hp and 600+ nm torque)
The Polestar which basically a Chinese built Volvo lookalike can tow 1500kg .
I’ve been talking to an owner who has a Bailey Unicorn and he’s says it performs well but the range is halved literally
He can manage about 105-115 miles and it needs plugged in as the battery is depleted
Which is really poor considering my 4x4 can manage 280-290 miles with 1600 kg behind it and even then it’s not totally empty

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
The Polestar which basically a Chinese built Volvo lookalike can tow 1500kg .
I’ve been talking to an owner who has a Bailey Unicorn and he’s says it performs well but the range is halved literally
He can manage about 105-115 miles and it needs plugged in as the battery is depleted
Progress eh?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

& what does the 208 mile range reduce to with the 1,8T on the back? Probably 50% .

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
& what does the 208 mile range reduce to with the 1,8T on the back? Probably 50% .
Thats another argument, and another “obstacle” that has to be overcome
Its the pace of change and development that is interesting
8.5 years to 2030 is mire than enough time if you see how far the development has come in the last 3

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
What!!!!!! I'm 73 now and I expect to be travelling for at least another 10 years 😳.
You will I’m sure find a way to travel. Just probably cost you at least twice as much to buy the vehicle and only be able to travel half as far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back