The Future of Diesel and Petrol Motorhomes (1 Viewer)

AndyRolfe

Free Member
Sep 9, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 924F
Our 2011 Rapido is as good as new, so many years left in it yet. I'm presuming a less damaging full bio diesel will be developed and available through regular pumps eventually. E10 petrol and B10 bio diesel are now at the pumps which looks like the start of things
That led me to look at B100 diesel, which I assume is the damaging full bio diesel you're describing. Will that be a serious option soon? Does the fuel need to improve or will I need a different engine?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That led me to look at B100 diesel, which I assume is the damaging full bio diesel you're describing. Will that be a serious option soon? Does the fuel need to improve or will I need a different engine?
If I knew the answer I'd be a gazoillionnaire but I wouldn't think it beyond science to make a full bio diesel that doesn't damage the internal seals and pipes of current vehicles.Whoever develops it will win the race and feed the current supply chain with pretty much no need to invest in any new infrastructure. My money would be on some significant backing for an African country with plenty of space to grow the crops to make into a suitable bio diesel.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Burning fossil fuels is undeniably causing climate change. The evidence for this is getting more frequent and more extreme every day. So there will be more and more pressure on the polluters to stop.
I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. So the most viable technologies for my next motorhome will be electricity or hydrogen (fuel cell?). A motorhome differs to a commercial van in doing generally low miles (6K per year), but long distances, infrequently.
Might hydrogen therefore be more appropriate than batteries?
As a few others have said "Burning fossil fuels is undeniably causing climate change" sorry Andy but this is just not true, the phrase "Climate Change"if that is what you want to call it is and always has been happening since the forming of this planet Earth and all the other planets currently in our solar system.
We have periods were the Earth's temperature cools called Glacial and a period when the Earth's temperature warms called Interglacial.

These have been happening for billions of years long before man walked the Earth and the Industrial Revolution, more likely is the cyclic changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun.

I doubt that man could survive being totally fossil fuel free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Are you saying we shall be under control by our dictators by then ?
Re read 1984 its coming to a town near you
Stay in unless working propaganda via your screens
Cashless society
Its a bit late but we've just done the trial run for staying at home

AndyRolfe

Free Member
Sep 9, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 924F
As a few others have said "Burning fossil fuels is undeniably causing climate change" sorry Andy but this is just not true, the phrase "Climate Change"if that is what you want to call it is and always has been happening since the forming of this planet Earth and all the other planets currently in our solar system.
We have periods were the Earth's temperature cools called Glacial and a period when the Earth's temperature warms called Interglacial.

These have been happening for billions of years long before man walked the Earth and the Industrial Revolution, more likely is the cyclic changes in the Earth's orbit around the sun.

I doubt that man could survive being totally fossil fuel free.
I agree with your last point, but that doesn't negate my "undeniably" statement. There's no point trying to change people's opinions about climate change on a online forum. Keeping the spirit of "motorhomefun" I feel more positive about trying to find a sustainable future for motorhoming, hence my entry into this thread. I am truely curious to see how many people see a long term future for petrol and diesel engines, and for those that don't, what do the alternatives look like? So far the main response has been "I'll be dead by then".......!

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Why do people still want to hear a gas guzzling V8 destroying your hearing?

I love the silence of my EV
Just wait until we all have EV‘s then the rules will change to Hydropower

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

I admire your confidence in the EV's future, despite finding it somewhat misplaced, we are all being told via a save the planet story that the Electric Car is the future, yet as said many times not only on motorhome fun that currently it can't compete with the flexiblity of the ICE vehicle.
Do I really want to invest in what might be, that batteries will get better, the EV will be capable of greater distances and that people who live in an area were they don't have the capability to charge the batteries a futuristic method will be found.
As a prime example have you driven around the county of Cornwall, looked at not only a row of terraced houses but a hillside of many rows, very narrow lanes crammed with vehicles, you can't even get a phone signal never mind a network capable of charging an electric car.

What is the life expectancy of these batteries, do I really want to buy a vehicle that only has a battery life of say 10yrs, what will be the second hand value of this very expensive EV. and how will they manage the recycling of millions of expired batteries.

I am not anti electric vehicles but I am sceptical as to them replacing what I currently know and trust, especially after being told not too long ago by the same group of experts that Diesel engines was the way forward.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

EVs aren't much quieter than many ICE cars from the drivers seat - wind and tyre noise is the biggest contributor and these don't change with the motor type. EVs are only quieter around town to the unsuspecting pedestrian or cyclist..

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Your all part of an experiment in many ways, social and economic controls as never seen before. Apart from Mesopotamia when debt control was conceived.
UN agenda 21 amended requires careful reading, however population size is interesting and fits with current measures of control.
In the main it's our own fault, we have allowed so far the unbridled measures, that of course can change, and certainly exercises the minds of the current crop of Demagogues.
Deep subject that I would urge anyone to consider and study.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Your all part of an experiment in many ways, social and economic controls as never seen before. Apart from Mesopotamia when debt control was conceived.
UN agenda 21 amended requires careful reading, however population size is interesting and fits with current measures of control.
In the main it's our own fault, we have allowed so far the unbridled measures, that of course can change, and certainly exercises the minds of the current crop of Demagogues.
Deep subject that I would urge anyone to consider and study.
:ROFLMAO:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Let’s be honest, if electric Motorhomes came out tomorrow with a 200-250 mile range the same price as ICE motorhomes, at least 95% of people would be buying one.

it’s a bit like the house heat pump idea, great you think until you get a couple of quotes over 4 times as much as a new oil boiler, so guess what we just bought.

Only the rich can save the planet.

Riftzoner

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Whitby Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
EV appears to be coming over the horizon no matter what, but based on current technology the batteries have range under load limitations they also deplete over time (in my opinion a very short time over the life of a Motorhome), 35 percent in 8 years on average (making second hand a hopeless proposition) & as usual we (the human race) invent a solution without considering the end game & the consequences of the toxic waste left by the all saving technology. That’s left for someone else to deal with? Normally resulting in digging a hole & shoving it in the ground!
On the flip side what with Diesel being the current Devil incarnate, but the fact is that modern Diesel engines (Euro 6) are actually cleaner than current petrol driven technology & whilst I agree that to remain treading water is not the answer, I believe credence needs to be given to the development of other alternative technologies ‘Green‘ Hydrogen for instance, Solar technology, Green bio Fuels, new safer saline battery technology. so basically buckle up it’s going to be a bumpy ride & buyer beware!
On the positive providing the nay sayer’s & the Green lobbyists who give out bland blanket statements are taken with a pinch of salt, then cleaner Diesel technology will improve & remain for quite some time.

Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
i wonder if the government will take into account the fact that motorhomes and most campervans only do a small amount of miles compared to most cars as i know people who do a tremendous amount of miles in their cars yearly.My mh is 22years old and has done 60000 miles and i know people who do a lot less than that still on a bum note if adoph jin ping gets his way it will be a lot sooner than2030.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back