2030 no new diesel vans. What's your plan? (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It looks like the nearer we get to 2030 we have decisions to make. Would you be mad to buy a new diesel van after say 2025? or do you think the prices of diesel will hold up in the move to electric, drop like a stone or maybe even go up?

I know that many of us will be able to hide our own easter eggs by 2030, but younger Funsters who expect to be motorhoming long into the 30's whats your plan? keep your van, buy newish now and keep it, wait and see, keep calm and carry on.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's going to be interesting, maybe some back tracking around 2025 ?

Or a lot of late deliveries, plumbers and electricians not turning up, in fact everyone will have an excuse to be late "sorry guv, I'm stuck in a queue at the charging point"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My plan is to still be breathing in 2030.. Past that, if I am still active and travelling I will continue to use what ever vehicle( s ) I have unless there are some major breakthroughs in technology and pricing !

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
By then FIAT ought to have brought out the next generation Ducato (and its Peugeot / Citroen variants) not merely another facelift.

The X290 replacement seems long overdue. I will be hoping it is at least a hybrid. In which case I will be very tempted to buy another PVC. Diesel or petrol hybrid, I don't mind which.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It looks like the nearer we get to 2030 we have decisions to make. Would you be mad to buy a new diesel van after say 2025? or do you think the prices of diesel will hold up in the move to electric, drop like a stone or maybe even go up?

I know that many of us will be able to hide our own easter eggs by 2030, but younger Funsters who expect to be motorhoming long into the 30's whats your plan? keep your van, buy newish now and keep it, wait and see, keep calm and carry on.
You may see hybrid fuel emerging for older vehicles or it maybe they are just priced off the road, I guess it’s a wait and see.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Given that I have had 4 new vans in less than 3 years, my opinion on the 10 -years-from-now-future should be taken with a sack of salt

but I think if someone had told you in the very early nineties that in 10 years (by 2001) a contraption called an i-pod , the size of a fag packet , would do away with your new-fangled CD collection adorning a wall of your bedroom......AND
that 10 years after that, that the very same i-pod would be worthless as you could store it all on just your phone....and that by 2020
you wouldn’t have a need for a collection because you could “stream anything” ( whatever that would mean in 1990)........

its relentless innit

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
By then FIAT ought to have brought out the next generation Ducato (and its Peugeot / Citroen variants) not merely another facelift.

The X290 replacement seems long overdue. I will be hoping it is at least a hybrid. In which case I will be very tempted to buy another PVC. Diesel or petrol hybrid, I don't mind which.
but arent hybrids banned too just 5 years later

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
but arent hybrids banned too just 5 years later

True, but it depends whether a full PEV van that suite MH requirements is available at a competitive price i.e. a bit cheaper than a diesel one.

Meanwhile I tend to be phobic about range and charging, unless it is self-charging like my hybrid car, which has a range of 560 miles per tankful and no worries.

Otherwise the X290 we have will just have to last and last though I expect the repair and maintenance costs will rise and rise correspondingly.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'd agree that buying a brand new diesel powered van much after this year will mean it's going to drop in value towards the end of it's life, but until we see Fiat, and Mercedes, and Ford, and Citroen, etc. produce a replacement base vehicle with at least a 250 mile range then the M/Home builders will be at least a year behind, as they will probably need to make some large changes in design to cater for the space for the batteries.

The new vans (commercial or motohome) are also going to come with a new problem of weight.
To get a Mercedes Sprinter, VW Crafter, Fiat Ducatto van load of stuff 250 miles is going to need a big heavy battery. That would mean your base vehicle would be a lot closer to 3.5 tonnes, thereby reducing the payload.

Does that mean every tradesman in Europe is going to have to take a C1 licence ?
or do they change the rules ?

In other words, until they sort out the basics, we are safe for a few years.
Even after 2030 I think will still have a decade or so where both Electric and Diesel vehicles will be common.

However the days of being able to drive a diesel powered van into the centre of a town are going to get more and more limited, town by town.
Many cities in Germany have already started and London starts in April 2021.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A week is a long time in politics so 10 years must be a lifetime. Haha. In 10 years might not even own a van, and I cannot see us replacing this one anytime soon.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Motorhomes powered on older fuel methods can still be seen occasionally on our roads.

1606127426677.png

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
True, but it depends whether a full PEV van that suite MH requirements is available at a competitive price i.e. a bit cheaper than a diesel one.

Meanwhile I tend to be phobic about range and charging, unless it is self-charging like my hybrid car, which has a range of 560 miles per tankful and no worries.

Otherwise the X290 we have will just have to last and last though I expect the repair and maintenance costs will rise and rise correspondingly.

Range will be a big tradeoff with payload.. so those stuck at 3.5t will have little range or poor payload and probably both.

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
One would hope 2nd hand prices would hold up,initially, after 2030, given no new van availability.
Personally, think the thing thats going to potentially create a bigger issue will be the downsizing of the current infrastructure for diesel vehicles. As diesel cars begin to disappear off the road, garage forecourts are going to start withdrawing fuel pumps, to the point where it could become difficult to fill up post 2030. Either through lack of filling stations or indeed the location of those left on some forecourts.
Additionally, its probable that diesel fuel costs will rise, potentially siginificantly, due to either eco tax and refinery costs, due to reduced demand. Transport companies may get some concession on fuel costs, until technology enables fleets to be economically and viablaly replaced?
So, personally, Im not sure whether it might be a case of bailing at the right time?
Could be the case of running what youve got until it either cant be economically repaired and or running costs become extortionate.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
My van is 3 years old so it will only be 13 in 2030 no real age for a motorhome more important I will be 81 so may not want to do it anymore so no new van for me

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
With 6 x 150w panels on the roof you could harvest 4.5kwh per week in the summer. How much would that extend the range? Might make it more practical.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Humvee are just developing their battery vehicle; that should be good enough for a 4.5 ton Motorhome.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
My van is 3 years old so it will only be 13 in 2030 no real age for a motorhome more important I will be 81 so may not want to do it anymore so no new van for me

Snap, almost identical considerations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back