The dangers of gas in a van ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Oh dear

Glad nobody was hurt.

I sent someone who was trying to find me the what3words location the other day.

yes, I’ve got the app he said, yes, I’ve got your 3 words.

Then moaned like sim that it took him 30 mins to find me. Why?. Because he didn’t bother with the what3words app.

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
What could have caused that; any thoughts ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Interesting report Dave. I wonder if it was the smoke detector which woke the other bloke or perhaps the carbon monoxide alarm?

If there was an uncontained fire burning for a while, the explosion was probably the gas cylinder going off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only one thing springs to mind..... Gas leak ignited by the fridge burner most likely cause.
Often the case, about 30 years ago on a site in our caravan, a caravan was burnt out, source of ignition traced to the fridge. It was an old caravan the occupants had borrowed.

One caravan we had I smelt gas the steel pipe from the gas valve to the control knob had rusted just a pin hole. Found a local Calor gas shop they made me a copper replacement.

Slightest smell of gas I'm out with my gas sniffer.
Overall very few instances of problems with gas considering the amount of Caravans & Motorhomes in use.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Oh dear

Glad nobody was hurt.

I sent someone who was trying to find me the what3words location the other day.

yes, I’ve got the app he said, yes, I’ve got your 3 words.

Then moaned like sim that it took him 30 mins to find me. Why?. Because he didn’t bother with the what3words app.
Mobiles have AML embedded in them so that in an emergency you can be found, it also means that you are not reliant on downloading or operating the app in a scenario such as this and in that scenario the person could be 100's of meters from the original call yet AML would still track them allowing an efficient rescue. Just saying...... ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I refer the honourable gentlemen to a previous thread about habitation checks and the importance of an annual gas pressure test as the one thing that really is a good idea to get done.
These vehicles bounce around in the roads you can’t rule out anything working loose
Very few if any dealers would know how to do a gas pressure test. Most just use a sniffer, anyone can do that, I always carry one in the van.

Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Very few if any dealers would know how to do a gas pressure test. Most just use a sniffer, anyone can do that, I always carry one in the van.
Agree.
As with most tests the range span is from cursory to detailed
I always want to see the actual results from each appliance (and flues where applicable) before I am happy

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
This is a wake up story to be safe with the gas, as others have stated a gas leak will ignite then fridge kicks starts electrical or something else. Usually propane is heavier than air and if gas box has floor vents the gas should go out of the van. You can get gauges for gas bottles which are a great way to pressure check the system for leaks. Still sad news for the couple but least they are around to tell the story.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Agree.
As with most tests the range span is from cursory to detailed
I always want to see the actual results from each appliance (and flues where applicable) before I am happy
I'm much happier with a manometer test - that I do myself.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The report says they owners only had it two weeks, but does not say whether bought new or used.

If new, the dealer may have some difficult questions to answer.

If used, then 'Caveat Emptor', but hopefully insurance will pay.

On the insurance aspect do policies normally cover collateral damage to other MH/Caravans in these circumstances? [Not got my policy wording handy]

geoff

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I hear a lit match is good for checking leaks, if its a small leak you may get a 'pop' and a small flame appears if its a bigger leak your problems are all over :oops:

On a serious note as others have said Gas checks are vital if you are confident and know how to carry out a gas safety check then that's great or ensure its in the habitation check schedule

Glad to hear the owner of the vehicle affected at this incident is OK

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I know someone who blew the windows out of their caravan one morning. They did not smell gas but there ws enough to ignite when they went to boil a kettle for an early morning cuppa.
No harm to themselves, and no subsequent fire. Just an embarrassing story to tell.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The report says they owners only had it two weeks, but does not say whether bought new or used.

If new, the dealer may have some difficult questions to answer.

If used, then 'Caveat Emptor', but hopefully insurance will pay.

On the insurance aspect do policies normally cover collateral damage to other MH/Caravans in these circumstances? [Not got my policy wording handy]

geoff
Sons car was in a multi story car park when another car had an electrical fault about 20 vehicles damaged or destroyed, the faulty car’s insurance did not pay out for any of the others damaged. This was in the late 80s

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Be interested if anyone has fitted one of these below. I use to have a different on built into the regulator but new vans now have mounted regulator. You can do a gas leak check on this and if you have an excessive leak it shuts off. Might post this on a separate forum to get some reviews. https://www.gasequipmentdirect.co.u...Ab_9UnriwNogxi8IDnk0MLsghKXB_ZshoCRMsQAvD_BwE
Just ordered one, as looks fair price, so worth a punt. Now that Calor have stopped their lite bottles.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think I would have looked out the window to see what the noise was, but I camp alone good thing the were not parked close together a good lesson

If you hear an alarm going off check it (y)
... and get blown to smithereens! :oops:

I refer the honourable gentlemen to a previous thread about habitation checks and the importance of an annual gas pressure test as the one thing that really is a good idea to get done.
These vehicles bounce around in the roads you can’t rule out anything working loose
We had our 'flame thrower' incident due to a badly dealer fitted BBQ point 2 months after it had had it's full hab check including gas test, so it is no guarantee that it is safe, in our case whoever did the hab check should have realised and ensured that the 'idiot' who installed it was shot and then immediately rectified it.

Motorhomer14

Free Member
May 6, 2021
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria twin supreme
Exp
Just ordered one, as looks fair price, so worth a punt. Now that Calor have stopped their lite bottles.
Be interested how you get on. Heard mixed reviews. I know the gauge is not very accurate but for gas leak test should be ok. Only worry is the flow rate may be reduced due to poor design

Mar 6, 2008
Spixworth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion Moto-
Exp
Since 2006
On our fridge when on gas actually goes out when cold enough.So,no pilot light but sometimes seem to "click"forever before lighting. We will have it serviced this year. On a slightly different topic the fridge "broke free" whilst on the road this tour! The screws on one side which has the thinnest panel just pulled out. So, now I need to find short but fat screws. That will need an interpreter as we are in Poland! Lovely people but difficult language!! I have managed to jam it in position as the other side screws into a much thicker panel.

Apr 8, 2018
East Riding of Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2017
Please can anybody recommend a particular gas sniffer? There seems to be such a range on sale & neither I nor OH are gas experts. We do get it checked every year but would be good to be able to check for ourselves in the interim. We use propane. Thanks

Jul 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't yet own one
Exp
Pressure tests are the best check by far for gas systems. On my boat, I have to have a safety check 4 yearly or no licence & boat has to be removed from the CRT waters.
The check includes a gas pressure test, & any leak means a failed safety check.

In a boat, of course, there cannot be a vent in the bottom to allow any gas to escape, but in a MH there should be such vents.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back