Tam and Toby ~~ Hunting Zorba .....Take two. (2 Viewers)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
When we did ours in sept 2019 the proof of funds were bank statements from our U.K. bank, not translated. We also had to give proof of our Greek address. Because we had had problems trying to do it using the boat yard, even though legally it is permitted, we paid a local agent €50 each and she applied on our behalf, using her office as the address. She must have hundreds of yachties registered there!
Also passport photos - get them done in Greece as they’re a different size to those in the U.K., you’ll need to go to a photo but they’re not expensive, I think ours were €12.
Copies of passport and health insurance also needed. We used EHIC’s but not sure if you can do that now.
You need to supply several copies of each document.
From various reports the requirements can vary depending on which police station /officer you go to or get, what mood they’re in, and which set of rules they feel like following on that day.

The beige cards are being replaced this year by blue biometric ones.

There‘s an interesting Facebook page called British in Greece which has all the info.
Agree with all that especially the mood of which police officer you get. Interesting about using the address of an agent. I rented a whole house !

Lockdown in UK now...not many flights back to Athens and I think I am meant to self isolate in Greece but not sure.

The blue Biometric card needs to be applied for and done by June.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think you CAN spend BOTH of your 90 day periods in EU countries because the time you spend in Greece is not counted as spending time in the EU at all....whether 90 or 180 days.

I can see that you could spend say 90 days from 1st Jan-27th March in say Austria, then till end Sept in Greece and Oct, Nov, Dec in say France. Your two 90 day periods would be separated by the 6 months in Greece, but you could not spend the next Jan-Mar period in EU, because you would be in EU from begging of Oct and the 90 days would run out at end Dec then you would have to leave EU.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
When we did ours in sept 2019 the proof of funds were bank statements from our U.K. bank, not translated. We also had to give proof of our Greek address. Because we had had problems trying to do it using the boat yard, even though legally it is permitted, we paid a local agent €50 each and she applied on our behalf, using her office as the address. She must have hundreds of yachties registered there!
Also passport photos - get them done in Greece as they’re a different size to those in the U.K., you’ll need to go to a photo but they’re not expensive, I think ours were €12.
Copies of passport and health insurance also needed. We used EHIC’s but not sure if you can do that now.
You need to supply several copies of each document.
From various reports the requirements can vary depending on which police station /officer you go to or get, what mood they’re in, and which set of rules they feel like following on that day.

The beige cards are being replaced this year by blue biometric ones.

There‘s an interesting Facebook page called British in Greece which has all the info.
Do you have to swap your UK driving licence? Or matriculate your motorhome? Ive got the C1 category on my licence via Grandad rights which I need to keep as my motorhome is 4500 tonnes and I know some countries do not recognise the C1 (Portugal for example)

Thanks

Alb

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can see that you could spend say 90 days from 1st Jan-27th March in say Austria, then till end Sept in Greece and Oct, Nov, Dec in say France. Your two 90 day periods would be separated by the 6 months in Greece, but you could not spend the next Jan-Mar period in EU, because you would be in EU from begging of Oct and the 90 days would run out at end Dec then you would have to leave EU.

Geoff
But you could spend the next 6 months from January back in greece

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp

Geoff
That is indeed right. It basically means that Greece becomes another country where you can spend time (like Croatia or Morocco...or UK for that matter) to separate the 90/180 stuff. Very useful especially as Greece with all its islands as well and the fact that it is well south is an ideal place to see out those long cold winters. There is one slight snag in that I believe you HAVE to spend at least 6 months in Greece and if you don’t they may take away your Biometric card.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That is indeed right. It basically means that Greece becomes another country where you can spend time (like Croatia or Morocco...or UK for that matter) to separate the 90/180 stuff. Very useful especially as Greece with all its islands as well and the fact that it is well south is an ideal place to see out those long cold winters. There is one slight snag in that I believe you HAVE to spend at least 6 months in Greece and if you don’t they may take away your Biometric card.
That would suit me ...6 weeks on route to greece , 6 months in Greece , 6 weeks back to uk ...uk for june july august

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is that 6 months in one block or 6 months out of 12? Thanks
Id imagine its in one go otherwise not much point as you can currently spend 6 out of 12 in greece anyway just not more than 3 at a time

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Right you orrible lot .... anyone live near lymington that could do me a favour?
Lenny HB , Onemanandhisdog is this far from you guys?

Sorry, bit late to the party today!
1611155458089.png

But yes, LOCKDOWN !!

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Those of you that do the crossing to Greece on a regular basis from Italy, which crossing do you recommend & why? We have a dog so would prefer to stay in our motorhome, looked at prices for late April out & back in July for Ancona to Igoumenitsa and it's coming in at a smidge under €700. Eek!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tam

You seem to be basically hugging the coast and therefore assuming you continue to do so, you will probably go east from Ermioni and go via Poros to the ancient theatre at Epidavros.

If so I have some tips.

Opposite the island of Poros(Very picturesque with photographic clock tower) is Galatas(3 min, ferry ride across. If you approach Galatas from the south you will be inland a bit then come down to the sea at a corner, where there is one boatyard to your left and one to your right. The one on the right is where my old boat is. Turn right at the corner alongside the beach where you can park with a good view.

If you do, then make yourself known to the boatyard. They will know me as Geoff and my boat is 'RUAWHATA' which is now owned by my friend Alwin, who they obviously also know. The boss is Takis and there is a younger guy Dimitri(Son of Takis's ex business partner Janis, sadly died few yeara ago of brain tumour) and a lovely friendly Indian guy Nikos. I am sure they will give you water(make sure it is from the drinking taps - Nikos will tell you). If they want money(very doubtful) I told Alwin this evening that I am telling you to put it on his yard bill.

As you go into the main part of Galatas the first building on the left is a Kafenion of old style with tables and chairs on sea side. It is used by the 'old boys' and run by 3-4 really cheery guys. Prices are for pensioners. Sit out the front with your computer and a beer/wine/ouzo and small meze(which will be very nice). Now the cafes/tavernas are open you need to get into the Greek atmosphere.

There is also a taverna at the boatyard run by a very nice lady, so you are not completely isolated there.

Just writing this is making me very nostalgic.

Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Those of you that do the crossing to Greece on a regular basis from Italy, which crossing do you recommend & why? We have a dog so would prefer to stay in our motorhome, looked at prices for late April out & back in July for Ancona to Igoumenitsa and it's coming in at a smidge under €700. Eek!
Coming back in July is probably high season try different dates.

Nov 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No, it was the 29th of April so way past Easter. think it's more of a symptom of people who postponed crossings from last year, so limited availability.hence premium price. We know someone who'd looked at 25th March with a return in May & it was 688, euros

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
The blue Biometric card needs to be applied for and done by June.
Yes but as we are 58 and 60 - and living in Wales - it’s unlikely we will have had the vaccine by then so we probably won’t make it back before then 😔

Do you have to swap your UK driving licence? Or matriculate your motorhome? Ive got the C1 category on my licence via Grandad rights which I need to keep as my motorhome is 4500 tonnes and I know some countries do not recognise the C1 (Portugal for example)

Thanks

Alb
Not as far as I know. We (usually) park it up in the boat yard from the end of April until July, then end of August until October, so I don’t think it or we are there long enough to warrant that
We only book one way at a time as we don't know much in advance when we will want to return, but that sounds a good price.
You’ll need to book with Anek as Minoan don’t do camping on board.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That was the Minoan price for an open return this year
How much more was an open return?
Five years since we went it was about €500 on the same route out Sep back Oct, fixed return.

Edit:
Did your price include all the discounts - Early booking 15%, over 60 10% and miloan club 10%

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Coming back in July is probably high season try different dates.
How much more was an open return?
Five years since we went it was about €500 on the same route out Sep back Oct, fixed return.

Edit:
Did your price include all the discounts - Early booking 15%, over 60 10% and miloan club 10%
Just booked, with Superfast Ferry camping on board, 7.5m van, open return, no early booking discount on this crossing. over 60s discount. (Viamare)
Sept to October
€728
Had booking credit from last year, as unable to travel,Covid.
Let’s hope we can get there this year, love Greece.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Tam

You seem to be basically hugging the coast and therefore assuming you continue to do so, you will probably go east from Ermioni and go via Poros to the ancient theatre at Epidavros.

If so I have some tips.

Opposite the island of Poros(Very picturesque with photographic clock tower) is Galatas(3 min, ferry ride across. If you approach Galatas from the south you will be inland a bit then come down to the sea at a corner, where there is one boatyard to your left and one to your right. The one on the right is where my old boat is. Turn right at the corner alongside the beach where you can park with a good view.

If you do, then make yourself known to the boatyard. They will know me as Geoff and my boat is 'RUAWHATA' which is now owned by my friend Alwin, who they obviously also know. The boss is Takis and there is a younger guy Dimitri(Son of Takis's ex business partner Janis, sadly died few yeara ago of brain tumour) and a lovely friendly Indian guy Nikos. I am sure they will give you water(make sure it is from the drinking taps - Nikos will tell you). If they want money(very doubtful) I told Alwin this evening that I am telling you to put it on his yard bill.

As you go into the main part of Galatas the first building on the left is a Kafenion of old style with tables and chairs on sea side. It is used by the 'old boys' and run by 3-4 really cheery guys. Prices are for pensioners. Sit out the front with your computer and a beer/wine/ouzo and small meze(which will be very nice). Now the cafes/tavernas are open you need to get into the Greek atmosphere.

There is also a taverna at the boatyard run by a very nice lady, so you are not completely isolated there.

Just writing this is making me very nostalgic.

Geoff
My god, I’m already there!!!!!!!! I can smell the sea,the ouzo,the meze There’s an old guy two tables away puffing on a roll-up,and at the end of the tables there’s a very tall guy with a beard and a couple of dawgs,making a coffee last 45 minutes so he can use the free WiFi. He seems to speak a funny language when he’s on the phone,keeps saying Vario,vario. :ROFLMAO: ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just booked, with Superfast Ferry camping on board, 7.5m van, open return, no early booking discount on this crossing. over 60s discount. (Viamare)
Sept to October
€728
Had booking credit from last year, as unable to travel,Covid.
Let’s hope we can get there this year, love Greece.
Certainly gone up a lot.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
€4000..that’s it. If it isn’t in a Greek Bank Account which mine isn’t as it was a nightmare opening a Greek Bank account in Kalamata (although I did it in the end) then you need an official translation which cost €60 by an official translator. No need to prove income....even though lots of people say it is needed.

It lasts 5 years by which time you can apply for permanent residency.

There is an alternative.... buy a property in Cyprus for minimum €250,000 and you get a Golden Visa which lasts for 5 years also.
Ref Cyprus property purchase, don’t you have to be a Russian Oligarch and have Mafia connections ? 🙀🙀🙀

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Id imagine its in one go otherwise not much point as you can currently spend 6 out of 12 in greece anyway just not more than 3 at a time
No not in one go. Point being the 6 months don’t count towards the 90/180 days in EU. Greece and its islands just become another place to spend winter time along with Croatia, Morocco, India etc etc without it affecting the other 90/180 time in Schengen... that’s the way to think of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back