Tam and Toby ~~ Hunting Zorba .....Take two. (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I found there were a lot of cold spots...and it kept cutting off and needed reset...
I prefer the truma when it is working lol

But overall you just cant beat a real fire 😁
I suspect there may have been faults. The reason I prefer it to Truma is the lack of cold spots. Mine has 10 radiators one of which is fan blown & 4 of which are doubles. The living and bathroom areas have underfloor heating as well as the radiators. In addition there's an engine heat exchanger so its warm when travelling and hot water is available on arrival / all the time. The engine has its own Eberspacher which, via the aforementioned heat exchanger, warms up the central heating as well. Don't base your decision on one system that sounds as though it was faulty - it's a heck of a lot easier running a 20mm pipe loop round the van than 4" ducting and you won't find many who have used it to be critical. The Alde CH boiler is easier to site and, if anything, slightly smaller than the Truma. If you want full Diesel as an option you can loop an Eberspacher into the heating circuit.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Right cause there seems to be lots of confusion

A split charger and a b2b charger will charge engine/ starter battery first and then the leisures ....although a b2b is a much higher output than a split.

The solar charger ..( or at least my solar charger ) charges leisure batteries first and then will trickle charge the engine/starter battery

Thats what i said way back there ^^^ as you had said you thought your split charger did the leisure batteries first and i said no its the other way round engine first then leisure WHICH is why for folk like me that don't use hookup i need a more powerful charge from the engine than yhe split provides so my next van will have a 30a b2b fitted .

I would have put one on this but theres no point if im gonna sell the van ...

But i think for fulltiming i need to build my own to suit my requirements....so my electrics will likely cost me 3 or 4 grand in my next van.
Tam,thanks,that makes sense! (y):giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I suspect there may have been faults. The reason I prefer it to Truma is the lack of cold spots. Mine has 10 radiators one of which is fan blown & 4 of which are doubles. The living and bathroom areas have underfloor heating as well as the radiators. In addition there's an engine heat exchanger so its warm when travelling and hot water is available on arrival / all the time. The engine has its own Eberspacher which, via the aforementioned heat exchanger, warms up the central heating as well. Don't base your decision on one system that sounds as though it was faulty - it's a heck of a lot easier running a 20mm pipe loop round the van than 4" ducting and you won't find many who have used it to be critical. The Alde CH boiler is easier to site and, if anything, slightly smaller than the Truma. If you want full Diesel as an option you can loop an Eberspacher into the heating circuit.
You have more radiators in your van than I have in my flat😂😂 BUSBY.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You have more radiators in your van than I have in my flat😂😂 BUSBY.
The heating circuit is 20mm pipe. Each radiator is a one metre length of same with pressed on aluminium fins. A double is the same thing looped back to accommodate another set of fins. They're pretty slim - the fins are around 75mm square. I only have 9 normal radiators in a 3 bed bungalow :giggle:.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
On a other note ...has anyone seen or heard from hymerbell lately?
He was commenting on this thread at the beginning and he was in the peloponnese too but not seen or heard from him in ages and just wondered if he was still here or back in the uk
Hey Happy belated Christmas ! Not dead yet ! ...still around, Banner batteries still going strong 😥 . Saw your van and went to say hello but you weren’t there and had to get flight from Athens that day (back to Blighty (Lancing near Lenny HB ) for Christmas, so couldn’t hang around. Decided I didn’t like the idea of 90 day limit in Europe so spent a month getting together documents to get Greek residential status ( Beige Card). Had to rent a house in Peloponnese as proof.

Now I’m allowed 6 months in Greece including all islands plus 6 months in rest of EU per year if I want..stick that in yer pipe Messieurs EU commission.... Going back to Greece soon as have to exchange Beige residential card for EU Biometric ID card.

Was it worth coming back to lockdown UK and minus 2 degrees ? Hey Ho, 4 months travelling in MH... felt nice to get out of comfy bed and have a proper shower. Which is best lock down UK in winter or lockdown Peloponnese in winter ?

Don’t know where you are now Tam... how are you travelling around...I went to Gythio from Kardymili and was told I shouldn’t have done as not meant to travel between regions.

On the subject of Greek wine that I saw someone mention there’s a fantastic wine merchant in Gythio with great wines that you get to sample ( €5 for a litre of superb red wine).

Here’s some pics of house I rented and some old wreck of a van parked up on a beach road.

If you’re still in Peloponnese when I escape back to Greece I’ll try and call in again.

E0801026-303D-4E1D-8198-1B5C0128FB41.jpeg
2B858535-F843-4730-9929-31EB4767DBFE.jpeg
7CE47CEF-05A5-43BC-930A-1473AC53770D.jpeg
FBDB15FC-F186-4996-AC50-44E909B01D96.jpeg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Hey Happy belated Christmas ! Not dead yet ! ...still around, Banner batteries still going strong 😥 . Saw your van and went to say hello but you weren’t there and had to get flight from Athens that day (back to Blighty (Lancing near Lenny HB ) for Christmas, so couldn’t hang around. Decided I didn’t like the idea of 90 day limit in Europe so spent a month getting together documents to get Greek residential status ( Beige Card). Had to rent a house in Peloponnese as proof.

Now I’m allowed 6 months in Greece including all islands plus 6 months in rest of EU per year if I want..stick that in yer pipe Messieurs EU commission.... Going back to Greece soon as have to exchange Beige residential card for EU Biometric ID card.

Was it worth coming back to lockdown UK and minus 2 degrees ? Hey Ho, 4 months travelling in MH... felt nice to get out of comfy bed and have a proper shower. Which is best lock down UK in winter or lockdown Peloponnese in winter ?

Don’t know where you are now Tam... how are you travelling around...I went to Gythio from Kardymili and was told I shouldn’t have done as not meant to travel between regions.

On the subject of Greek wine that I saw someone mention there’s a fantastic wine merchant in Gythio with great wines that you get to sample ( €5 for a litre of superb red wine).

Here’s some pics of house I rented and some old wreck of a van parked up on a beach road.

If you’re still in Peloponnese when I escape back to Greece I’ll try and call in again.

View attachment 458002View attachment 458003View attachment 458004View attachment 458005
More information on that will be required later 👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Cold overnight again but beautiful sunny day today ...but a cold breeze...
Again im not sure why but i cant get pics to upload here yet i can on my polarsteps etc ... so you'll have to wait for photos or check them out on there

Nov 13, 2017
Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Are you sure about that? We have beige cards too (Sept 2019) on the basis of keeping a boat there and our understanding is we can spend as long as we want in Greece - after 183 days you must become tax resident but that is another can of worms - but as British Citizens we’re still restricted to 90/180 in the rest of EU.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Are you sure about that? We have beige cards too (Sept 2019) on the basis of keeping a boat there and our understanding is we can spend as long as we want in Greece - after 183 days you must become tax resident but that is another can of worms - but as British Citizens we’re still restricted to 90/180 in the rest of EU.
Yes that’s roughly what I said....as long as you want in Greece and the 90/180 in rest of EU. Point being the time spent in Greece does not count towards the 90 days. In other words if one wanted to one could spend say 6 months in Greece during the months when it is hot/warm there and the other 2 x 90 days in other parts of Europe whilst it is hot/warm there....not that I’m obsessed with warmth and heat ....come to think of it actually I am 😊

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
Yes that’s roughly what I said....as long as you want in Greece and the 90/180 in rest of EU. Point being the time spent in Greece does not count towards the 90 days. In other words if one wanted to one could spend say 6 months in Greece during the months when it is hot/warm there and the other 2 x 90 days in other parts of Europe whilst it is hot/warm there....not that I’m obsessed with warmth and heat ....come to think of it actually I am 😊
Yes, as long as you don't spend both of your 2x90 day periods in EU countries.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So tell us what you required for this residency and how long it lasts?

Income?
Savings?

I need more information

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95

Income?
Savings?

I need more information

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Better internet at this little chapel so i can upload pics ...getting good solar input today .... Visited by lots of goats and sheep but still not got a chance to pet one

20210118_131946.jpg
20210119_095933.jpg
20210119_095949.jpg
20210119_100046.jpg
20210119_100054.jpg
20210119_101128.jpg
20210119_101216.jpg
20210119_112923.jpg
20210119_122235.jpg
20210119_134552.jpg
20210119_134603.jpg
20210119_134620.jpg
20210119_134724.jpg
20210119_140202.jpg
20210119_144707.jpg
20210119_145200.jpg
20210119_145634.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 196
Exp

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Yes, as long as you don't spend both of your 2x90 day periods in EU countries.
I think you CAN spend BOTH of your 90 day periods in EU countries because the time you spend in Greece is not counted as spending time in the EU at all....whether 90 or 180 days.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp

Income?
Savings?

I need more information
€4000..that’s it. If it isn’t in a Greek Bank Account which mine isn’t as it was a nightmare opening a Greek Bank account in Kalamata (although I did it in the end) then you need an official translation which cost €60 by an official translator. No need to prove income....even though lots of people say it is needed.

It lasts 5 years by which time you can apply for permanent residency.

There is an alternative.... buy a property in Cyprus for minimum €250,000 and you get a Golden Visa which lasts for 5 years also.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nice vans the Varios Tam, I've looked at quite a few, I was going to buy the MWB at one point. The LWB look enormous when you see them in the flesh.

Some of them have a diesel heater in from new even.

I was going to import one from PK trucks in the Netherlands at one point, but they said they couldnt sell one to UK because of emission regulations. Brand new Vario(The last of the new ones as they stopped making them)I think this was about 7 or 8 years ago.

It was a lovely blue colour they had 3 of them brand new. 4.2 litre engine.
Long lasting but usually very noisy, not really a problem for the target market (traders) but would soon get on your nerves on a motorway

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Better internet at this little chapel so i can upload pics ...getting good solar input today .... Visited by lots of goats and sheep but still not got a chance to pet one

Just as well, or you might want to adopt one of those. Lovely pics though!

Nov 13, 2017
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 750
€4000..that’s it. If it isn’t in a Greek Bank Account which mine isn’t as it was a nightmare opening a Greek Bank account in Kalamata (although I did it in the end) then you need an official translation which cost €60 by an official translator. No need to prove income....even though lots of people say it is needed.

It lasts 5 years by which time you can apply for permanent residency.

There is an alternative.... buy a property in Cyprus for minimum €250,000 and you get a Golden Visa which lasts for 5 years also.
When we did ours in sept 2019 the proof of funds were bank statements from our U.K. bank, not translated. We also had to give proof of our Greek address. Because we had had problems trying to do it using the boat yard, even though legally it is permitted, we paid a local agent €50 each and she applied on our behalf, using her office as the address. She must have hundreds of yachties registered there!
Also passport photos - get them done in Greece as they’re a different size to those in the U.K., you’ll need to go to a photo but they’re not expensive, I think ours were €12.
Copies of passport and health insurance also needed. We used EHIC’s but not sure if you can do that now.
You need to supply several copies of each document.
From various reports the requirements can vary depending on which police station /officer you go to or get, what mood they’re in, and which set of rules they feel like following on that day.

The beige cards are being replaced this year by blue biometric ones.

There‘s an interesting Facebook page called British in Greece which has all the info.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.