LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Came through the tunnel yesterday no checks other than gas ....neither british or french passport control even took my passport out my hand this time which was strange .. dog passports checked more than mine

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Can anybody recommend a supermarket in Santander which is easy to get to and park to do a small shop for essentials?
There is a large Carrefour in the shopping centre (huge car park ) travelling south on the S-10 from the port, near the airport.
However for smaller shops we just spot one and pull in if it is easy to park, if we miss it there is always another soon.
B562F3FE-F0E6-4364-A833-62D1061DB1FE.jpeg

Reactions: DBK

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
This is my take on it, when flying you should not take knives or anything that could be considered an offensive weapons in your hand luggage or have one on your person. I flew to Amsterdam went through the normal checks at Stansted. On my return a couple of days later when going through security in holland I was stopped my bag emptied and they pulled out a screwdriver that could be used as an offensive weapon.....I totally forgot it was in there and its not unusual to find all sorts of tools in my pockets and bags. I 'got away' with it one way but not the other and security...well they were just doing their Job .

So I reckon yes you can drive through customs and you may not get searched.......but when you do get stopped and asked to remove the food you know you shouldn't be taking do not complain, you know the rules if you bend them and get found out its the chance you have taken.
It’s when you get asked about having knives in your van………. 🤔 ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Having read all the earlier posts about what is and what is not allowed to be taken into Spain, surely a small bottle of milk will not be confiscated from our motorhome fridge? I use almond milk so hope I can get that in Spain? Are motorhomes checked over on arrival at Santander?
No,,BUSBY.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
The actual statement was "far more EU students wanted to come to study in the UK than vice versa,"
Which is perfectly true. Double the amount of EU students study in the Uk compared to UK students in the EU.

In 2017, 16,561 UK students participated in Erasmus, while 31,727 EU nationals came to the UK.

from here,
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-47293927
EU students had no tuition fees as the scheme was reciprocal with Uk students not paying fees abroad.Therefore the uk was losing out theoretically.
shown in link above also.
Again Its only part of the story as highlighted some 9 Million people have benefitted by the program and such a positive enriching experience for our young people the scheme was funded from the EU pot not the UK treasury and part of the former club membership benefits I am not arguing right and wrong its just how things are positioned and information missed out.

Participation[edit]​

More than 9 million people have participated to the Erasmus programme since its creation. The number of young participants has increased significantly since 1987. Nearly 300,000 a year[when?] compared with only 3,244 in 1987. Spain is the country that allowed most people to participate to Erasmus with more than 40,000 per year, slightly ahead of France, Germany and Italy. The countries receiving the most Erasmus students are Spain with more than 47,000 students and then Germany with 32,800.[21] There are currently more than 4,000 higher institutions participating in Erasmus across the 37 countries. In 2012–13, 270,000 took part, the most popular destinations being Spain, Germany, Italy and France.[22] Erasmus students represented 5 percent of European graduates as of 2012.[23]

Studies have discussed issues related to the selection into the programme and the representativeness of the participants. Some studies have raised doubts about the inclusiveness of the programme, by socio-economic background, level of study, or academic performance. Thus, one study analyses the financial issues and family background of Erasmus students, showing that despite the fact that access to the programme has been moderately widened, there are still important socio-economic barriers to participation in the programme.[24] Another study uncovered what seems to be an adverse self-selection of Erasmus students based on their prior academic performance, with higher-performing students less likely to participate than lower-performing ones. However, this case was based on a number of four hundred graduates in a Spanish university only.[25] Inversely, one study looking in details at French and Italian students found that the primary predictor of participation to Erasmus was students' prior academic records, not the occupation of their parents.[26]

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
By the way, they are not rules that people seem to want to break, but the LAW for countries outside the EU.

Taking anything into a country which is banned, is smuggling. You can dress it up anyway you like, but it is still smuggling. Why take a chance on being caught, to have things taken away from you, a fine and possibly a longer search. What a lovely way to start your holiday.

Surely we can do without our favourite bacon, cheese or pork pie for a few weeks.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
By the way, they are not rules that people seem to want to break, but the LAW for countries outside the EU.

Taking anything into a country which is banned, is smuggling. You can dress it up anyway you like, but it is still smuggling. Why take a chance on being caught, to have things taken away from you, a fine and possibly a longer search. What a lovely way to start your holiday.

Surely we can do without our favourite bacon, cheese or pork pie for a few weeks.

Good points. Our contraband would be the meals we’d made up to last us the first couple of days. However, you’re completely right. (y)

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Ah - but we have full control of our borders . But sadly not quite got to grips with our customs procedures , maybe explains the relaxed customs experience reported on here . And now are able to deal with the boat people without any interference from the EU , talking of which I think our bureaucracy is definitely superior . 😆😆

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
There is a large Carrefour in the shopping centre (huge car park ) travelling south on the S-10 from the port, near the airport.
However for smaller shops we just spot one and pull in if it is easy to park, if we miss it there is always another soon.
View attachment 553777
Can you actually park a motorhome in the large car park, I cant see how you can get anything over 2.5m in there?

Apr 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 64
Exp
We're travelling from Holyhead to Dublin in a couple of weeks for a weekend of Rallycross at the Mondello Race Circuit. We obviously won't have a lot of time for hunting out supermarkets, and we'll be driving a MoHo towing a race car on a trailer... I'd obviously travel with a full fridge as we're only there for the weekend, but as that's not looking likely, can anyone recommend any supermarkets close to Dublin port?

OP
OP
A
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We're travelling from Holyhead to Dublin in a couple of weeks for a weekend of Rallycross at the Mondello Race Circuit. We obviously won't have a lot of time for hunting out supermarkets, and we'll be driving a MoHo towing a race car on a trailer... I'd obviously travel with a full fridge as we're only there for the weekend, but as that's not looking likely, can anyone recommend any supermarkets close to Dublin port?
I think the whole subject of food for personal use has been sensationalised somewhat. Has anyone ever had the fridge inspected when crossing a border?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No one really cares what you take in your fridge. Ive not had mine checked once.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just wondering if confiscating a persons fridge contents would be an infringement of the European courts articles of human rights?
  • the right to protection of property (Protocol 1, Article 1)
Any lawyers like to offer an opinion?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just wondering if confiscating a persons fridge contents would be an infringement of the European courts articles of human rights?
Are you suggesting that the same argument could be used to avoid confiscation of alcohol above the limit or illegal drugs? If the law says you can't take something surely the human rights would apply equally to all illegal items

Deleted User
This is not an absolute right, it is a qualified right, which means a state can interfere with it in accordance with the law. There will be a power of seizure if items are suspected of being contra ban.

Right not to be tortured is the only absolute right. Even right to life can be interfered with in accordance with the law.

ps, and no, you are not being tortured if your cheese sandwiches are confiscated 😱

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Are you suggesting that the same argument could be used to avoid confiscation of alcohol above the limit or illegal drugs? If the law says you can't take something surely the human rights would apply equally to all illegal items
I'm not suggesting anything, I asked a question.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
This is not an absolute right, it is a qualified right, which means a state can interfere with it in accordance with the law. There will be a power of seizure if items are suspected of being contra ban.

Right not to be tortured is the only absolute right. Even right to life can be interfered with in accordance with the law.

ps, and no, you are not being tortured if your cheese sandwiches are confiscated 😱
Thank you for the explanation, much appreciated.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
We travelled the Holyhead/Dublin route back in April - there are no checks that we could see and we had a fridge full of the usual supplies. We went north to the Giant's Causeway and came back for a couple of days in Wicklow. No border checks anywhere but watch out for the secret tolls on the M50 around Dublin . . .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back