Taking food into the EU (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On January 1st 2021 the UK will no longer be a member state of the European Union. As we demanded, the UK will be regarded as a non-member state.

Travellers (including lorry drivers and motorhomers), will not be allowed to bring in any meat, milk or their products.

Apart from minor exceptions like infant food and special medical foods, that's it. No meat, no cheese, no longlife milk, no yoghurt, no Fray Bentos pies. Not even Scotch Eggs. Enjoy your new freedom (if you're a vegan).

There's also regulations on fish and honey, but they are less restrictive (20kg of fish, 2kg honey).

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Yay! A Joni Mitchell song always pops into my mind each time we get another bit of project fact arriving. 'Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone'

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On January 1st 2021 the UK will no longer be a member state of the European Union. As we demanded, the UK will be regarded as a non-member state.

Travellers (including lorry drivers and motorhomers), will not be allowed to bring in any meat, milk or their products.

Apart from minor exceptions like infant food and special medical foods, that's it. No meat, no cheese, no longlife milk, no yoghurt, no Fray Bentos pies. Not even Scotch Eggs. Enjoy your new freedom (if you're a vegan).

There's also regulations on fish and honey, but they are less restrictive (20kg of fish, 2kg honey).
Last time we were there , they actually sold food in France, strange I know. :doh: (y)

Deleted User
We are just contemplating how the Brexit outcome will affect our MH continental trips post January 2020, and have been reading up on the constraints of taking food into the EU.

We usually cook a number of meals in advance and freeze them to get us through the first couple of weeks, (generally go for about 6-8 weeks) while enroute through France to our long stay destinations (Med, etc..), to save messing around enroute, keep costs down and we are also mainly plant based which is difficult to source on the continent. It appears that all meat and meat products, also Milk and dairy products (from milk) are prohibited from being imported (even for personal consumption). It also appears that vegetables and fruit are also banned (in their raw state), as these are classed as live plant or live plant products.

Don’t know if others have given thought to this, and what is and is not permitted? Example; can we take cooked vegan vegetable sauce prepared meals, with perhaps soya mince or plant based meat alternative products? How are these checked at border control? Is Soya milk permitted (EU legislation apparently banned the use of ‘milk’ wording on soya plant products - according to some internet searches).

Be interested to see others thoughts on this (serious thoughts), or experience other than go empty and do all your food shopping abroad!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Be interested to see others thoughts on this (serious thoughts), or experience other than go empty and do all your food shopping abroad!
I think that`ll be the only way to go unless you want to go as far as smuggling groceries in your lockers.
Thankfully France has an excellent selection of supermarkets (y)

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I just did a search for the word food in the trade agreement and there are 60 occurrences :giggle: however none of them specifically address taking food in to the EU for personal consumption, so I would presume we will be like any other third party country and most items will be prohibited.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why worry about it, take what you normally take. The chances of the van being searched are minimal and if it does happen and they confiscate it you have only lost a few quids worth of food.

Before we were fully in the EU we used to have the same restrictions often had stuff in our caravan fridge, we were never asked about food only alcohol.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've flown into Oz and NZ a couple of times, strict checks were made when we arrived, a declaration had to be made and a search carried out....been that way for many years, searching all motorhomes/campervans and caravans would be a mammoth task.....not tusk, they are banned too...

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
There is a serious side to bio security and protecting the EU, although in practice, it’s unlikely they will have the personnel (or desire) to search every vehicle. One could also argue that the UK border is bio low risk compared to other borders, particularly based on our recent EU status.

This all comes down to your moral compass and your desire, or otherwise, to follow the rules?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We've flown into Oz and NZ a couple of times, strict checks were made when we arrived, a declaration had to be made and a search carried out....been that way for many years, searching all motorhomes/campervans and caravans would be a mammoth task.....not tusk, they are banned too...
There s a big difference between the borders of NZ and Oz and the UK to EU, as previously mentioned its more to do with upsetting the eco system like they did with toads and rabbits.

IMO the chances of them inspecting the contents of your fridge are remote, its like the rare occasions when they want to look inside the MH its usually more nosiness than anything else.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
We are just contemplating how the Brexit outcome will affect our MH continental trips post January 2020, and have been reading up on the constraints of taking food into the EU.

We usually cook a number of meals in advance and freeze them to get us through the first couple of weeks, (generally go for about 6-8 weeks) while enroute through France to our long stay destinations (Med, etc..), to save messing around enroute, keep costs down and we are also mainly plant based which is difficult to source on the continent. It appears that all meat and meat products, also Milk and dairy products (from milk) are prohibited from being imported (even for personal consumption). It also appears that vegetables and fruit are also banned (in their raw state), as these are classed as live plant or live plant products.

Don’t know if others have given thought to this, and what is and is not permitted? Example; can we take cooked vegan vegetable sauce prepared meals, with perhaps soya mince or plant based meat alternative products? How are these checked at border control? Is Soya milk permitted (EU legislation apparently banned the use of ‘milk’ wording on soya plant products - according to some internet searches).

Just do from day 1 that which you plan to do usually from day 15 to 56, and a side effect is that you are supporting the local communities that you are visiting more so than normal

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I wouldn't worry about cooked plant based stuff they would mainly be looking at meat, milk and fresh stuff veg if they bother.

If you're worried though take all your staples like dried or tinned pulses and beans, coconut milk, tofu etc and just buy the fresh fruit and veg when you arrive and cook fresh meals. Can't be much more hassle than having to prep it all and freeze beforehand.

I'm not veggie but I do like to eat healthy plant based, Asian style food a lot and was suprised how little there is to buy in the main supermarkets in France etc and Asian ingredients are very expensive. The bio shops are good for plant based but expensive.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Many years ago when you were regularly stopped at the Spanish border (La Jonquera) I arrived from the UK in a 'shed' of a Bedford CF with stuff for friends in Spain - paint, antifoul, a hot water cylinder, loads of stuff

The Guardia had a cursory look inside - not bothered but on the roof was a giant bundle of bamboo - a friend wanted to trim some fitted furniture with it.

"Why?" - they asked - "It grows here!"

I shrugged my shoulders, they did theirs and off I went...........

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I would suggest tuning into the Australian customs series I guess Europe will have similar restrictions with fines for smuggling anything that goes into the mouth to eat.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is from the Camping and Caravan Club site

You will not be able to take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries from 1 January 2021. There are some exceptions, e.g. certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons. Check the rules about taking food and drink into the EU on the European Commission website.

As a vegetarian the meat part has no effect on us 😎

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I would suggest tuning into the Australian customs series I guess Europe will have similar restrictions with fines for smuggling anything that goes into the mouth to eat.

Doubt it - the Australians are paranoid about keeping pests out - we are not................ can you see them checking every fruit and veg truck?........... sanitising every vehicle? - I don't think so

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Doubt it - the Australians are paranoid about keeping pests out - we are not................ can you see them checking every fruit and veg truck?........... sanitising every vehicle? - I don't think so
It’s a now a new world 🌎 so they may just do it and if random checks done can you imagine the fines.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why are people still trying to find things that b....... Is going to cause motorhomers , nearly everything they have come up with yet just ain't going to happen, just go and enjoy , they want us there as much as we want to go.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Supermarkets in France carry a good range of plant based foods and have for many years, together with soya milk. Gluten free range of food is also expanding in France and Spain, although I would not worry about taking certain food, until we know the details.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just wonder about Spanish chorizo in it’s original packet , imported from Spain, sold in Aldi, and back to Spain via England and France , unopened.

Having said that , the EU web site is clear, so soya juice on Cereals with black coffee and croissant day one , then Aldi, pronto. :giggle:

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Why are people still trying to find things that b....... Is going to cause motorhomers , nearly everything they have come up with yet just ain't going to happen, just go and enjoy , they want us there as much as we want to go.
Like what?

What exactly do you think is not going to Happen now the deal is published for example? Pet Passports, Food into EU, 90 into 180 Days each of those is a change so to argue nothing is going to change they need us more than we need

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wouldn’t worry to much, it’s just making ourselves aware of what has changed and what we need to do. It’s not about EU countries not wanting us (in the same way we massively benefit from Tourists to this country) CCC outline what we need to do or not as the case maybe https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/travelling-after-brexit/

(We won’t be able to use the fast lane for EU nationals either so a bit more patience will be required 😑)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
There is a growing list of things that will be different and all tourists, including motorhomers need to be aware of them. Whether they chose to abide by the new rules or not is down to their conscience but anybody wanting to bleat about getting caught out will get short shrift from me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back