Taking food into the EU (2 Viewers)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I wouldn’t worry to much, it’s just making ourselves aware of what has changed and what we need to do. It’s not about EU countries not wanting us (in the same way we massively benefit from Tourists to this country) CCC outline what we need to do or not as the case maybe https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/travelling-after-brexit/

(We won’t be able to use the fast lane for EU nationals either so a bit more patience will be required 😑)
When I flew into ParisCDG this summer, the EU lanes were packed and there was hardly anyone in the TC lane

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I would suggest tuning into the Australian customs series I guess Europe will have similar restrictions with fines for smuggling anything that goes into the mouth to eat.
Our daughter lives in Melbourne and I declare anything that could be even considered food ! Not worth the worry . They have sniffer dogs for food as well as drugs who patrol the queues and The carrousel.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Our daughter lives in Melbourne and I declare anything that could be even considered food

Given that they already have as native most every one of the worlds deadliest bugs, creepy crawliest and slitherers . You can understand them not wanting any more coming in hiding in a bag of salad. :D

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Don't know about the UK, but Europe have been gearing up for a couple of years, taking on more custom staff, extra lanes at alicante airport were put in at least two years ago so they are prepared. 🙂
When Covid started here it was full on with police and army, many in Javea said Franco had come back to life but it worked, and since then another 15 police officers have been recruited, we have always had to carry ID but the new cards photo and fingerprints, things are changing fast, and saying things like we never did this and that before we joined the EU, 😉 that's history and the old Spanish saying " don't tell them " doesn't exist anymore. 🤔 Bob.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Like what?

What exactly do you think is not going to Happen now the deal is published for example? Pet Passports, Food into EU, 90 into 180 Days each of those is a change so to argue nothing is going to change they need us more than we need
Yawn

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Given that they already have as native most every one of the worlds deadliest bugs, creepy crawliest and slitherers . You can understand them not wanting any more coming in hiding in a bag of salad. :D
Ha ha they certainly do ! Am not a lover of the spiders the size of tea plates lol Daughter and I went out for pizza and as we came to front door there was a big huntsman spider above so back door it was lol

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
We (motorhomers) are a minority of channel crossing vehicles. Do you really think that the authorities are going to stop every truck driver and inspect what he (or she) has in their sleeper cab or trailer locker as sustenance for their trip?

Perhaps the enthusiasm to check will be higher in the first few months but I guess it will wane just like the French gas cylinder check has for tunnel crossings!

Look guilty, ask questions etc. and they will show an interest; breeze up looking confident and assured and they will probably not. Random checks will no doubt happen as they have whilst we have been part of the EU.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So I approached this as a question from a "third party" country which we will be:-
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

Therefore:-

Rules when travelling from a non-EU country​

If you travel to the EU from a non-EU country, you are not allowed to bring any meat or dairy products with you. You can however bring a limited quantity of fruit and vegetables as well as eggs, egg products and honey. Restricted quantities of fish or fish products are also allowed.

But I could not be arsed to search all the way through, I am sure there are other web sites that you can explore that are third country orientated. Or just wait for mid January when the world and his brother journalist will have found every nugget of fact... or more likely non fact.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just wonder about Spanish chorizo in it’s original packet , imported from Spain, sold in Aldi, and back to Spain via England and France , unopened.

Having said that , the EU web site is clear, so soya juice on Cereals with black coffee and croissant day one , then Aldi, pronto. :giggle:
I'm going to smuggle my milk inside a bottle of Malibu.
Screenshot_20201228-100725_Chrome.jpg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We usually cook a number of meals in advance and freeze them to get us through the first couple of weeks....,,.........to save messing around while enroute through France to our long stay destinations (Med, etc..),
You're evidently under no time constraints.
I look forward to the 'messing about' en route at markets etc.
to get us through the first couple of weeks.
P'raps the solution is to treat the first couple of weeks something to be enjoyed rather than endured.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
When Covid started here it was full on with police and army, many in Javea said Franco had come back to life but it worked,

If Spain's procedures have worked, then the UK must have worked too Bob. The UK weren't anywhere near as strict as Spain, but given the UK has a population density 3 times higher than Spain they still have had fewer number of deaths per M. But that is only so far. It's looking bad here right now and we've all a way to go yet.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Well they aren’t going to stop me taking bacon.
A secret fridge might have to be constructed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Wish folk would worry more about transmitting Covid than a trivial thing such as taking a bit of food in their van to Europe,,,They do have shops over there. BUSBY :xlaugh: :xlaugh:
Really you wouldn’t think so lol We have managed 17 years without Tesco :) Is a treat when we go to U.K. so you guys just have to do the reverse . The difference here is a treat and Tesco is the norm .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Really you wouldn’t think so lol We have managed 17 years without Tesco :) Is a treat when we go to U.K. so you guys just have to do the reverse . The difference here is a treat and Tesco is the norm .
Think the only thing we have had a problem purchasing easily in Spain France or Portugal is decent T Bags but usually found some eventually..We now always take plenty with us plus of course the FB Pie that must now have crossed the channel 20 times,,(for emergencies) BUSBYxroll:

Deleted User
Thanks all for your advice and some ‘food‘ for thought. I guess we will make up our frozen plant based meals (as these are not prohibited) and take our soya milk. Just have to leave out the fresh fruit and veg (although i have found a EU fact sheet that states you can bring in a small quantity of fruit and veg for personal consumption). This will save on cooking time and expensive restaurant meals during the long travel (motoring) days of our trip :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back