LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Common issue. The u-bend traps normally prevent the smell from coming back up the drain holes. But when you're driving, the air pressure and movement shifts enough water for the grey tank to vent back... :sick:

We learnt very early on to always put the plugs in the plughole when travelling to prevent that.

Grecian

Free Member
Oct 17, 2020
Winslow
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We've been using that in the cassette for several years. It does break down solids, prevents smells and keeps the cassette clean.
Thanks for the tip - how much do you add to the toilet cassette please?

Sep 19, 2019
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Bavaria i740c Allure
Exp
A Class
And phosphoric acid which is what does the cleaning. (y)
Nonsense!

Sorry to be argumentative here but DON'T use cheap cola, or expensive for that matter, in your grey water tanks. The Very place for it is in the dustbin...unopened....or see below.

I have been racing RC IC model cars for many years and often when the tarmac tracks are 'green' after a closed season we spray 'cheap cola' on the track the previous day so that on race day the track is REALLY grippy/sticky.
Would you want that happening in your waste tank???

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
I have used cheap Cola many times and it certainly gets rid of the pong. But Tombola mentioned:
"I used to use cheap cola, but advice here stopped me doing this."
Can anyone outline what the problem is with Cola?

I have also used dishwasher cleaner with good results.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
This may be a coincidence but I’ve just cleaned my grey tank with Fenwicks. The tank now has a leak.

I tried taking a photo from underneath. There seems to be a big blob of some kind of rubber sealant near to the waste pipe. Any idea what this might be?

377D24D4-ACD4-4681-9954-25EF219A6710.jpeg

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Nonsense!

Sorry to be argumentative here but DON'T use cheap cola, or expensive for that matter, in your grey water tanks. The Very place for it is in the dustbin...unopened....or see below.

I have been racing RC IC model cars for many years and often when the tarmac tracks are 'green' after a closed season we spray 'cheap cola' on the track the previous day so that on race day the track is REALLY grippy/sticky.
Would you want that happening in your waste tank???

A bit on information for you as phosphoric acid is a common cleaning chemical.

https://chem.libretexts.org/Ancilla...ods/Polyprotic_Acids_and_Bases_in_Cola_Drinks

Last edited:
OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
This may be a coincidence but I’ve just cleaned my grey tank with Fenwicks. The tank now has a leak.

I tried taking a photo from underneath. There seems to be a big blob of some kind of rubber sealant near to the waste pipe. Any idea what this might be?

View attachment 528028

Looks like a bodged hole repair has been unbodged in the cleaning process.

Dec 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
John McBain
Exp
T-line 590 newbie
My grey waste tank has suddenly developed a stink and needs a good clean, I’ve previously used elsan tank freshener but assume all that has done is masked the smell rather than cure the problem.

I was thinking of buying the fenwicks grey tank cleaner but having read about so many cheap alternatives I am here to ask which actually work.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

I would like a one time solution that I can do a couple of times a year rather than something I need to add regularly.

Thanks in advance.
We had similar issue. We use bicarbonate of soda and distilled white vinegar. Cover the drainage holes with bicarb, there should be a little hill of bicarb, pour the vinegar over. A chemical reaction occurs and the fuzzing will get rid of anything clinging to the pipes. Do not use the sinks, shower for an hour then pour boiling water down plugholes. We use this method in the shower as well as the sinks. Another tip is to wipe plates and pans with paper towel prior to washing as this will minimise the amount of food scraps going into the waste and the frequency of the smells coming back.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Most of the dialogue here is about 'cure', how about prevention?
We try as hard as we can to avoid draining anything biological or fatty, food stuffs are scraped off before washing up for instance. It took some thought to begin but is now 2nd nature. Even the washing up water is taken to the grey waste drain if close enough. Since establishing the habits our grey tank has hardly needed any special attention.

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
My grey waste tank has suddenly developed a stink and needs a good clean, I’ve previously used elsan tank freshener but assume all that has done is masked the smell rather than cure the problem.

I was thinking of buying the fenwicks grey tank cleaner but having read about so many cheap alternatives I am here to ask which actually work.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

I would like a one time solution that I can do a couple of times a year rather than something I need to add regularly.

Thanks in advance.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

Thanks in advance.
Hi M - J,
This works,
pour pure orange juice ( NOT squash)
down the plug holes after you have drained the tank
and just leave it there
next time out in the van just use the system as you would normally do
drain again as you usually do, and that's all there is to it,
the citric content of the juice destroys the odour causing bacteria
dependant on your usage of the van, you may need to repeat 2-3 times a year
harmless , safe and effective, just try it and see for yourself,

Norma Lake

Free Member
Apr 5, 2021
Fife, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Exp
On and Off For Years

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

Thanks in advance.
I use Milton baby fluid. Does a great job 🤩

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have never had a problem with smell, POSSIBLY because I always take my waste water home with me and the soapy water splashes around the tank (think washing machine) on the return home miles before I dispose of it when I get home.

I have seen and followed MANY motorhomes who leave their waste water taps open while leaving sites and driving along the road.
(This is VERY dangerous to motorbike riders and it's only luck that no-one hasn't yet been charged with manslaughter!)
This practice allows the waste water to dissipate quickly and the residue sludge, fat, soap and cooking bits, left to ferment in the warm/wet atmosphere of the tank well loved by all fungus.

Why not empty your waste water on site where there is ample water to flush through by leaving a couple of taps open and then top-up the clean water tank??

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have never had a problem with smell, POSSIBLY because I always take my waste water home with me and the soapy water splashes around the tank (think washing machine) on the return home miles before I dispose of it when I get home.

I have seen and followed MANY motorhomes who leave their waste water taps open while leaving sites and driving along the road.
(This is VERY dangerous to motorbike riders and it's only luck that no-one hasn't yet been charged with manslaughter!)
This practice allows the waste water to dissipate quickly and the residue sludge, fat, soap and cooking bits, left to ferment in the warm/wet atmosphere of the tank well loved by all fungus.

Why not empty your waste water on site where there is ample water to flush through by leaving a couple of taps open and then top-up the clean water tank??
That's SINK taps.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
All done with the 80p soda crystals from Tesco, smell gone but will check again tomorrow.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years

View attachment 528028

I've just had my van on the lift to search for the source of a small leak.

The bottom of the tank was similarly adorned and I suspected that it was the site of a previous repair!

But I then noticed that it surrounded the drain pipe and assumed that it was a cheap way of 'sealing' the waste pipe to the tank?

BTW My leak was from the bung not sealing in the drain pipe.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I looked at the problem when it was on a ramp for the MoT last week. It’s where an overflow pipe exits the waste tank. I asked the mechanic to squirt some sealant around the pipe. Hopefully that’s another problem sorted. No issues with the MoT so I was happy to spend £54.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's a bit dramatic! Just about the last thing that would worry me on a motorcycle is a patch of grey waste water. I'm too busy trying to spot spilt Diesel to worry about much else. 😁

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
That's a bit dramatic! Just about the last thing that would worry me on a motorcycle is a patch of grey waste water. I'm too busy trying to spot spilt Diesel to worry about much else. 😁
Double Post, Sorry!

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Surely, adding SOAPY water on top of Diesel makes it twice as slippery?

ORDINARY rain water is bad enough, especially onto hot tarmac. (at least it was last time I rode my old 650 Thunderbird, and Touring Car Racing Drivers seem to agree and change their tyres)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Doesn't matter once you're on you're ar*e 😁. You might like this:

and that was on a racetrack with no heavy truck coming in the opposite direction to run you over, I rest my case!

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Slight change of subject what pipe do you carry and how do you connect to the waste on the tank?
Our moho is a Hymer b680, and the waste pipe is 40mm so I got the adaptors to convert to 32mm and brought 10 mtrs of fish pond hose/pipe works well. I got the adapters from a local plumbing shop

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
and that was on a racetrack with no heavy truck coming in the opposite direction to run you over, I rest my case!
It bore little relationship to our discussion - I just thought that you might be as impressed with his immense skill as I was. 200bhp on slicks!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I dropped our grey tank a few weeks ago and I doubt even kryptonite would have shifted the sludge that I jet-washed and scrubbed out. We're moderately meticulous about what stuff is allowed down there but you wouldn't know it. Hard scaly stuff mixed with gooey stuff - not very smelly and strangely therapeutic removing it.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Luckily this thread is about the smell coming from a grey waste tank and not about the effects grey waste may have on a motorbike when emptied on a public road (or racetrack apparently)

I for one have never emptied my tank on a public road but if I did you would have smelled it in time to avoid on your motorbike until a few days ago. Not much hope for you now the smell has gone.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

Thanks in advance.
Haven't read previous posts, Cheapo solution is Tesco cheap bleach (5l) Good glug down each drain, before and after trip. No probs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back