Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
My grey waste tank has suddenly developed a stink and needs a good clean, I’ve previously used elsan tank freshener but assume all that has done is masked the smell rather than cure the problem.

I was thinking of buying the fenwicks grey tank cleaner but having read about so many cheap alternatives I am here to ask which actually work.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

I would like a one time solution that I can do a couple of times a year rather than something I need to add regularly.

Thanks in advance.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Caustic doesnt attack plastic M-J at least not supposed too.
edit to explain : Our company supplies aprons/gloves etc for folk handling caustic.
rubber seals??? dunno but man made , no.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
3 x 2 Litre bottles of cheap Aldi cola and a 15 mile drive around the country lanes did a great job of cleaning the old cak out of the grey waste tank of a PVC we bought a few years back. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
think, what is smelling? it's the microbes in the waste water breaking down the fats and starches. Best idea is something to oxygenate the waste tank and pipes. Bio laundry liquid in hot water will really help. All the "tank cleaners" are is similar bio enzymes in the laundry liquid, but without the scent part.

I clean my fresh tank at least once a year with puriclean crystals, then run the water into the waste tank. Drive around for a bit and leave to work for a day or so. You will be amazed the crap that comes out after cleaning, even a supposedly clean tank.

On some vans that we have had, we suffered from pongy waste pipes. The smell seems to come from the bathroom sink, but nearly every time it was the shower waste trap had dried out. Some hot water with bio laundry liquid always sorted it quickly

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you stick a bio clothes washing tablet/bubbly thingy in along with a couple of gallons of water when you leave your last location for home it's no effort to keep it clean. You can use the same tablets for the cassette 😉. I normally leave the drain open when the tank is empty until next use.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Good point about the tank sensors, assuming they are stainless rather than aluminium would they be damaged?
Mine are utterly inaccurate most of the time. They come back into service after the cleaning, for a while. I reckon the caustic cleans the gunk off rather than causing any damage.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Mine are utterly inaccurate most of the time. They come back into service after the cleaning, for a while. I reckon the caustic cleans the gunk off rather than causing any damage.

Perfect, I normally remove the cap once a year and clean the prongs so hopefully saves me having to do that lovely job.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I’m thinking the process will be, dilute bag of crystals in 10l water, pour down the plug holes (mainly kitchen sink but also basin and shower). Go for a drive, top up with more water so the entire tank is full, leave for half an hour and then empty, refill with water to rinse and then empty again.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
I’m thinking the process will be, dilute bag of crystals in 10l water, pour down the plug holes (mainly kitchen sink but also basin and shower). Go for a drive, top up with more water so the entire tank is full, leave for half an hour and then empty, refill with water to rinse and then empty again.
Sounds a good plan.

Reactions: M-J
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I used to put one of the cheap Aldi/lidle dishwasher taps in the sink and shower trap, that seemed to work for me… just leave then in the plug hole to dissolve when in use…

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I found it got a good cleaning with hot water and washing up liquid. I simply emptied the hot water tank into the empty waste tank with a good dose of washing up liquid and then drove around for a bit with it sloshing around. It is mostly fat deposits that are the problem and generally hot water and detergent are good at dissolving fat.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
I found it got a good cleaning with hot water and washing up liquid. I simply emptied the hot water tank into the empty waste tank with a good dose of washing up liquid and then drove around for a bit with it sloshing around. It is mostly fat deposits that are the problem and generally hot water and detergent are good at dissolving fat.

Tried that as it was all I had available, was better for about an hour and then the pong returned.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Check the sink, basin and shower traps have not dried out. I find the shower ones, which can be very shallow, often lose the water from the trap which allows smells to feed back into the living area.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Check the sink, basin and shower traps have not dried out. I find the shower ones, which can be very shallow, often lose the water from the trap which allows smells to feed back into the living area.

Was away at the weekend, smell was there before and after use of all traps.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
We’ve used cola, works a treat. When things get wiffy I use plugs to prevent during the duration of holibob and then put the cola in on our drive home, worked every time.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When mine gets a bit smelly I use pink top tank additive and put some down each plug hole followed by a little water just before each journey.
When pitched I keep dump valve open to run directly to tote tank which means that just the bottom of the holding tank gets messy and smelly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back