Stinking grey waste tank… (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
There's no way to stop it smelling except emptying every few hours. Stopping the pong in the van needs the sink and shower traps to be working well

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We find prevention is better than trying to cure. Wipe anything greasy with kitchen paper dampened with washing up water before washing and have a strainer in the plug hole to catch any food bits. Pour soda crystals dissolved in hot water down all plug holes occasionally.

OP
OP
M-J

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We find prevention is better than trying to cure. Wipe anything greasy with kitchen paper dampened with washing up water before washing and have a strainer in the plug hole to catch any food bits. Pour soda crystals dissolved in hot water down all plug holes occasionally.

We do all the wiping down etc, doesn’t happen often but is as bad as I’ve know it at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Some use Puriclean, others use Thetford tank cleaner (which I have an unopened bottle of) but I use a watered down solution of White Wine or Cider vinegar, in all water tanks both Fresh & Grey, plus the Thetford toilet Cassette, leave in for 24hours +, then flush out with fresh warm water.
Leave Grey waste tap open when in storage.
Cleaning fresh water tanks with vinegar as mentioned also delicately removes limescale from taps, pipes and hot water boiler, without the risk of damage.
PS: We dont wash greasy dishes with food remnants in the MH sink, we wipe clean first with kitchen roll, or wash separately in a bowl outside then tip it out wherever is most appropriate, just as you would for cleaning a BBQ.
LES

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
As above, we never used to put organic waste down the sinks if we could avoid

Or get a caravan, …with no waste tank😄

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When pitched I keep dump valve open to run directly to tote tank which means that just the bottom of the holding tank gets messy and smelly.
We do the same. Many of the sites we use (CLs and CSs) tell you to dump the grey in a hedge, in which case I pipe it directly.

Jul 7, 2021
Alcester, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Symbol
Exp
Since 2009
We use Milton tablets. We dissolve one every day or so in shower tray or kitchen sink.

Never had a problem

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We do the same. Many of the sites we use (CLs and CSs) tell you to dump the grey in a hedge, in which case I pipe it directly.
I find it works well with the once every trip of top tank detergent down the sinks and shower waste removes any pong immediately.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My grey waste tank has suddenly developed a stink and needs a good clean, I’ve previously used elsan tank freshener but assume all that has done is masked the smell rather than cure the problem.

I was thinking of buying the fenwicks grey tank cleaner but having read about so many cheap alternatives I am here to ask which actually work.

cheap cola?

caustic soda?

bio washing liquid?

I would like a one time solution that I can do a couple of times a year rather than something I need to add regularly.

Thanks in advance.
This is a quick and easy way use a few caps of Aqua sol https://www.cleantabs.co.uk/aqua-sol.php

you can buy it from marine or camping shops it is not as harsh as some of the solutions and certainly removes the smell from a stinky tank. I also use it once a year on the fresh water tank then dump the water fill the tank dump the water then fill it and no issues it clears out the bio film.

Reactions: M-J

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We regularly put Buster down the sinks and shower to keep the pipes clean (also use indoors and in wash machine/dishwasher). Tried the Cola once but not impressed but the Thetford tank cleaner is excellent, mix with hot water and drive around a bit then leave for a day or so, also Bio washing liquid is OK. Helps if you can get the hose into the tank to rinse around and wipe the tank walls to get the scummy residue off.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sometimes cheapo cola, but when in Spain pure orange juice as its cheap and works really well ( my thanks to Scotties for the tip )

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Slight change of subject what pipe do you carry and how do you connect to the waste on the tank?
Our Carthago came with a length of pipe and an attachment for coupling to the outlet. I extend the pipe with this bit of kit, which is very versatile.
Other sellers may have better prices and standard flexible pipes like these would be cheaper but less convenient for storage.
You will need to dream up a coupling that suits your outlet but the Colapz kit pipes have one flexible end that might fit some outlets.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Bleach will always be the best. Don't need much. Add about a half cupful of thin bleach, fill tank. Leave an hour. Empty. That will sort it.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Do NOT let it contact aluminium !

Your kitchen sink is probably aluminium
The level sensors are probably aluminium
Kitchen sink either plastic or stainless steel. Level sensors stainless steel. Anything aluminium would have a very short life in any drainage system regardless of the use of cleaning chemicals.

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
I'm not sure if I'm missing the point, but if your sink traps etc etc are working and you have a working vent on the roof, it doesn't matter too much if it smells it shouldn't reach you.

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I poured half a bottle of Lidl, Formil, Bio Laundry Liquid fluid down the three plug holes. Half filled the grey waste tank with fresh water, went for a 30 minute drive to agitate and swill around left it fo a week before draining away.

Not a smell since and I've been using the rest of the bottle in the toilet cassette, not totally convinced on its ability to 'digest' the toilet waste yet. However that also smells sweet, both when emptying and when you oen the flap when you use it.

Formil Laundry Liquid BIO, £1.49.

formil-bio-super-concentrated-crop-1545389133.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I poured half a bottle of Lidl, Formil, Bio Laundry Liquid fluid down the three plug holes. Half filled the grey waste tank with fresh water, went for a 30 minute drive to agitate and swill around left it fo a week before draining away.

Not a smell since and I've been using the rest of the bottle in the toilet cassette, not totally convinced on its ability to 'digest' the toilet waste yet. However that also smells sweet, both when emptying and when you oen the flap when you use it.

Formil Laundry Liquid BIO, £1.49.

formil-bio-super-concentrated-crop-1545389133.jpg
We've been using that in the cassette for several years. It does break down solids, prevents smells and keeps the cassette clean.

robert groves

Free Member
Aug 12, 2014
Cornwall (near England)
Funster No
MH
Safari Trek 1991
Exp
since 2006
I only get the smell when driving !...Parked up for a few days,...no smell,...Drive off, smell returns. Have tried All of the above, Full/Empty, makes no difference, and judging by the distance of the vehicles behind me,..they can smell it too !

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
I've never cleaned our grey tank in 2 years, but we use the shower regularly. I wonder whether some folks only wash up & it gets greasy. I drain our grey waste regularly, but if we've had a couple of showers, I'll drive with it in to slosh it around, then drain.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I only get the smell when driving !...Parked up for a few days,...no smell,...Drive off, smell returns. Have tried All of the above, Full/Empty, makes no difference, and judging by the distance of the vehicles behind me,..they can smell it too !
Common issue. The u-bend traps normally prevent the smell from coming back up the drain holes. But when you're driving, the air pressure and movement shifts enough water for the grey tank to vent back... :sick:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back