Staying longer than 90 days in the EU (1 Viewer)

Gee P Cee

Free Member
Jul 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Swift
Hello knowledgeable people,
Has anyone stayed longer than 90 days in the EU and what happened when they returned to the UK?
is the 90 day rule being enforced?

Thanks Everyone 👍🇬🇧

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
I don't think there is an issue when you return to the UK after overstaying 90 days. The problem will arise when you try to re-enter the eurozone.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I now have Polish Residency so can stay in Poland as long as as I want like any resident of a Schengen country, but am restricted to 90/180 in rest of Schengen.

As far as UK is concerned, as franknjan said, for a UK passport holder one can enter and leave at will.

If you get Residency in a Schengen country then there is very little control crossing Intra-Schengen borders.

Of course it would have been easier if you had applied for a Schengen country Residency before 31st Dec 2020.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
my mate stayed approx 58 days over the 90 and left Spain with no issues, no passport stamped or scanned and he made a point of looking.

Whether or not he’s penalised when he goes back again in Oct we’ll have to wait and see 😉

I am still hopeful that next year maybe Spain will introduce a Visa which will allow us to stay 180 days, fingers crossed 🤞

Deleted User
my mate stayed approx 58 days over the 90 and left Spain with no issues, no passport stamped or scanned and he made a point of looking.

Whether or not he’s penalised when he goes back again in Oct we’ll have to wait and see 😉

I am still hopeful that next year maybe Spain will introduce a Visa which will allow us to stay 180 days, fingers crossed 🤞

When was this?

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
When was this?
148 ish days after the 1st Jan

I started a thread about it a little while ago but the response to it got somewhat choppy when the do gooders chimed in

it’ll still be their if you search for it

Al 👍

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
148 ish days after the 1st Jan

I started a thread about it a little while ago but the response to it got somewhat choppy when the do gooders chimed in

it’ll still be their if you search for it

Al 👍

But did he enter by a route where his passport was stamped or scanned?

If not he was not in the Schengen computer system.

Those of us who had achieved Residency on the basis of being resident in a Schengen country prior to 31st Dec 2020 can , under the Wthdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU, travel across intra-EU borders on a Residency card and therefore not have a passport stamp. Not that there are border checks.

Of course if we are found to be outside our country of residence for more than 90/180 days we could be in trouble, but evidential proof might be difficult. Also, to where would they deport us? Country of Residence? Never seen an opinion on that point.

Geoff

Last edited:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
But did he enter by a route where his passport was stamped or scanned?

If not he was not in the Schengen computer system.

Those of us who had achieved Residency on the basis of being resident in a Schengen country prior to 31st Dec 2020 can , under the Wthdrawal Agreement between the UK and the EU, travel across intra-EU borders on a Residency card and therefore not have a passport stamp. Not that there are border checks.

Of course if we are found to be outside our country of residence for more than 90/180 days we could be in trouble, but evidential proof might be difficult. Also, to where would they deport us? Country of Residence? Never seen an opinion on that point.

Geoff

he entered via Malaga both ways Geoff so i’d say yes he did

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
He presumably entered and left via Malaga airport so he can be 100% certain that his passport was scanned on entry and exit.
Regardless of any stamp the dates will be on the system.
he is 100% certain it was not stamped or scanned when leaving as he made a point of looking at the border control officer and what he did exactly, I referred to this in my first post btw.

As I and he said at the time, he won’t know anything until he returns or try’s to at the end of the year 👍

Last edited:

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
A friend of ours has a caravan in Benidorm and they came home for xmas and new year returning to Spain via Alicante airport late January. Earlier this month they returned home after spending >5 mths in Spain.

They returned to Spain last week with no issues at all. Speaking to them while they where home on this subject and they have said there has been a number of people "over staying" leaving and returning with no issues. He said that no one is talking or interested about the subject either the English or the Spanish.

Is this just another breath tester in France , change GB sticker for a UK sticker on reg plate , are we worrying about a "law" which the europeans are great at ignoring which they have a history of.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
he is 100% certain it was not stamped or scanned when leaving as he made a point of looking at the border control officer.

As I and he said at the time, he won’t know anything until he returns or try’s to at the end of the year 👍
I suppose it is possible that the Spanish are taking a lax approach to help the economy, particularly if the passengers are on flights direct into and ou of Spain.

However, it may be more tricky for a MH owner arriving in Santander, touring Spain and France for 5 months and returning to UK from Calais. I would not risk it.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I suppose it is possible that the Spanish are taking a lax approach to help the economy, particularly if the passengers are on flights direct into and ou of Spain.

However, it may be more tricky for a MH owner arriving in Santander, touring Spain and France for 5 months and returning to UK from Calais. I would not risk it.

Geoff
We had our passports stamped entering Spain at Santander and again stamped leaving France at Caen.Croatia for us in September..BUSBY.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

By this time next year we'll likely have a difinitive answer as I anticipate there being overstayers in their droves. :D

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't think we will hear much about people being caught out because of embarrassment. BUSBY.☺️

I think news of overstayers will leak out. Let's face it the 90/180 rule couldn't be more dumb; could they make it more complicated for the average Joe public to understand? I don't think so. There will be lots of confusion, lots of "I didn't Realise" "I thought we are OK". When they are caught out, we'll hear about it and learn what happens to them.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
A friend of ours has a caravan in Benidorm and they came home for xmas and new year returning to Spain via Alicante airport late January. Earlier this month they returned home after spending >5 mths in Spain.

They returned to Spain last week with no issues at all. Speaking to them while they where home on this subject and they have said there has been a number of people "over staying" leaving and returning with no issues. He said that no one is talking or interested about the subject either the English or the Spanish.

Is this just another breath tester in France , change GB sticker for a UK sticker on reg plate , are we worrying about a "law" which the europeans are great at ignoring which they have a history of.
this is copy of a message from my mate who's applied for residency in Spain, i've asked his opinion whether or not Spain will either issue a "longer stay visa"

this is part of the reply he sent back last night

"Probably, as they've had a taste of "no brits" & will realise they need us more than they think. It's all well the Spanish coming in droves on discounted hols, hotels and camp sites have offered them massive discounts just to come, but that's not gonna help the economy as they don't spend anything neither !

Tight bxxxxxxs on here buy their food & drink at the supermarket or bring it with them, then pack into cooler boxes & take to the pool and don't spend anything ! It's chocka at the pool all day everyday & the bar there isn't even open ! Same probably happens at the beach as they all group together with cool boxes and don't use the cafes/bars and restaurants !"

I have to say I hope he's right regarding the visa as hopeful as I am, the original thread where I posted about Willy a few months ago, highlighted this very same issue, the brits spend and a lot of the rest don't, businesses have closed in that area from march 31st as the brits went home in droves after being frightened by social media.

Only time will tell I suppose but as gradyp mentioned above, is it going to be one of those rules that gets overlooked, have "they" been instructed to ignore the long stayers because of the damage its doing to there local economies.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I think news of overstayers will leak out. Let's face it the 90/180 rule couldn't be more dumb; could they make it more complicated for the average thicko Joe public to understand? I don't think so. There will be lots of confusion, lots of "I didn't Realise" "I thought we are OK". When they are caught out, we'll hear about it and learn what happens to them.
and i'm a million percent certain Jim, if nothing happens to anyone, then some dickhead will make something up and post if on a facebook group that his mates mates uncles brothers, son in law has been jailed for 10 years and banned from the EU for 50 years just to cause a reaction, then it will have been read by 1000's and become "true" as its on the internet

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520

What Consequences Will Britons Face for Overstaying in EU?​

The consequences that a British national may face for staying in the EU longer than permitted depend a lot on the country where he/she is caught overstaying, as well as the number of days overstayed.

Since there is no common policy for penalties for overstayers, the Member States may apply the penalties differently, some by being softer and other harsher, like for example Germany.
Despite their differences, in general, the Member States apply the following penalties on those caught overstaying, including on Britons staring from this year:
  • Deportation – All third-country citizens caught overstaying the number of permitted days of stay in the EU are immediately forced to leave the block. Some of the countries will imprison overstayers and deport them by themselves, while others will give overstayers a certain period of hours or days to leave.
  • Fines – One of the most common penalties for overstaying in the Schengen Area is being fined with an amount of money, though the fees vary from one country to another. Fines, are applied alongside with deportation and are not a substitute for it. They may often be followed with an entry ban too.
  • Difficulties in returning to the Schengen – Almost every deported person will face difficulties to travel back to the Schengen Area. They will face prolonged border checks upon entry, and may even be turned back or banned from entering for a certain period.
  • Entry ban – Usually the Member States ban from entering only those who have overstayed for a longer period. Bans are applied for a period of three years or even more.
Despite the consequences listed above, some travellers may not be subject to any of them, in particular those who cannot travel for a strong reason that can be proved.

Pete

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

What Consequences Will Britons Face for Overstaying in EU?​

The consequences that a British national may face for staying in the EU longer than permitted depend a lot on the country where he/she is caught overstaying, as well as the number of days overstayed.

Since there is no common policy for penalties for overstayers, the Member States may apply the penalties differently, some by being softer and other harsher, like for example Germany.
Despite their differences, in general, the Member States apply the following penalties on those caught overstaying, including on Britons staring from this year:
  • Deportation – All third-country citizens caught overstaying the number of permitted days of stay in the EU are immediately forced to leave the block. Some of the countries will imprison overstayers and deport them by themselves, while others will give overstayers a certain period of hours or days to leave.
  • Fines – One of the most common penalties for overstaying in the Schengen Area is being fined with an amount of money, though the fees vary from one country to another. Fines, are applied alongside with deportation and are not a substitute for it. They may often be followed with an entry ban too.
  • Difficulties in returning to the Schengen – Almost every deported person will face difficulties to travel back to the Schengen Area. They will face prolonged border checks upon entry, and may even be turned back or banned from entering for a certain period.
  • Entry ban – Usually the Member States ban from entering only those who have overstayed for a longer period. Bans are applied for a period of three years or even more.
Despite the consequences listed above, some travellers may not be subject to any of them, in particular those who cannot travel for a strong reason that can be proved.

Pete

We know that is what they say, but will it happen.

People are wondering if overstaying will be bit like shoplifting; illegal in the UK, but the police don't bother with it. ie are the consquences of overstaying going to be zilch?

Personally I wouldn't trust the French or the Spanish to turn a blind eye, and I think it will be enforced. And anyway, it would take two minutes to write the code that flagged your passport and denied an overstayer re-entry. An automatic time bar.

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Just sat here thinking and I wonder what our "normal" medical / motorhome insurance would say to over staying the 90 days. I know you can request and pay for extended insurances , but I suggest that most of us have bog standard insurance

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Just sat here thinking and I wonder what our "normal" medical / motorhome insurance would say to over staying the 90 days. I know you can request and pay for extended insurances , but I suggest that most of us have bog standard insurance
I've purposely "ticked the box" that will allow us to travel for a max of 100 days per trip and a max of 183 days per any 1 year from date of insurance

This cost an extra £101 on our policy btw just for info (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Same probably happens at the beach as they all group together with cool boxes and don't use the cafes/bars and restaurants !"
Must be different to here then? First thing holiday making spaniards do down on the coast is book there 2pm dinner table for the length of time they will be here. nigh on impossible to get in any beachside restaurant down in Águilas july/august time.
this is copy of a message from my mate who's applied for residency in Spain
Why has he only just applied? Was he here before contributing nothing? Does he realise that if he is applying now using the fact that he has been here without residency for years before, that even if he gets it he will be out of time for a driving licence as you had to have applied before the end of the application period & therfore will have to take a spanish test.
We ave a couple been here 17 years who have just applied for residency stating they have been here for the last 17 years & they are being hauled over the coals. They have also been told that even if they manage to get it it is qite likely hacienda will want to fine them for lack of tax declarations for the last 17 years.
They have also been assured that even if they get it they will then no longer be allowed to drive using the UK licence & would be well advised to take a spanish test now in advance.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Must be different to here then? First thing holiday making spaniards do down on the coast is book there 2pm dinner table for the length of time they will be here. nigh on impossible to get in any beachside restaurant down in Águilas july/august time.

Why has he only just applied? Was he here before contributing nothing? Does he realise that if he is applying now using the fact that he has been here without residency for years before, that even if he gets it he will be out of time for a driving licence as you had to have applied before the end of the application period & therfore will have to take a spanish test.
We ave a couple been here 17 years who have just applied for residency stating they have been here for the last 17 years & they are being hauled over the coals. They have also been told that even if they manage to get it it is qite likely hacienda will want to fine them for lack of tax declarations for the last 17 years.
They have also been assured that even if they get it they will then no longer be allowed to drive using the UK licence & would be well advised to take a spanish test now in advance.
I haven't said he's just applied Gus, you have just assumed he has, they as a couple applied last year as that is when they decided they wanted to live permanently in Spain, As we have, they have visited Spain over many years on a temp/holiday basis, but decided now to make it their home and good luck to them. They have contributed i'd have thought as much as anyone else has done over the years, not claiming anything back, just putting it in, as we have also. ;)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Mus

However, it may be more tricky for a MH owner arriving in Santander, touring Spain and France for 5 months and returning to UK
Must admit that when I commented to the Spanish Customs when he stamped my passport he chuntered BREXIT,your fault..BUSBY.
rom Calais. I would not risk it.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
According to my Aussy sister there are plenty of Aussies that have been fined 500 Euros and banned for 4 years for a first overstay. I don't think there will be any great appetite to take up the huge challenge of changing the EU Regs to make the UK a special case.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Busby

I think you said you entered in Sept(2020) in which case he should not have stamped your passport, or even then the date of entry to Schengen on the 90/180 rule would have started from 1st Jan 2021.

Geoff
I did enter in Sept 2020 and they didn't stamp my passport.I re entered in June 2021 I my passport was stamped.I returned home late July 2021 via Caen and again my passport was stamped. BUSBY.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back