Staying longer than 90 days in the EU (2 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fair enough but that’s our rules we expect others to abide by then and from a 360 day perspective we have the same allowance just split into two 90 day stints.
No, not completely true. An EU citizen, or the same as me british but a resident in another EU state, can remain in the UK for 180 consecutive days They can then leave for 1 x24 hour period & the clock starts again .You can do this continually whilst remaing non -resident.

I nearly had to do this back in late 2019 although at the time still being witin the Eu & transition period I could also have used the " medical " get out which nullified any over stay. Unfortunately it does not apply to any vehicle you are in which has a finite period of 6 months then has to be out for the next 6 . No rolling period.
Any evidence that is going to be reciprocated?
Why would they? The Eu stipulated period is 90 days then you have to apply for residency if yo are an EU citizen. Any additional amount is allowed , as the Uk used to do.
Surely it is we have 180 days in 360, this must have been negotiated it’s just split in to two 90 day sets.
No it isn't.As above you have to leave after 90 days for at least 89 days whereas the EU or Non Resident Brit(me) can leave for 24 hours & get aother 180 days.Just not the vehicle:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
No, not completely true. An EU citizen, or the same as me british but a resident in another EU state, can remain in the UK for 180 consecutive days They can then leave for 1 x24 hour period & the clock starts again .You can do this continually whilst remaing non -resident.

I nearly had to do this back in late 2019 although at the time still being witin the Eu & transition period I could also have used the " medical " get out which nullified any over stay. Unfortunately it does not apply to any vehicle you are in which has a finite period of 6 months then has to be out for the next 6 . No rolling period.

Why would they? The Eu stipulated period is 90 days then you have to apply for residency if yo are an EU citizen. Any additional amount is allowed , as the Uk used to do.

No it isn't.As above you have to leave after 90 days for at least 89 days whereas the EU or Non Resident Brit(me) can leave for 24 hours & get aother 180 days.Just not the vehicle:cry:
If I comment on this Jim will Ban me so I will keep my comments to myself :)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Often women want to keep their pre-married name, so will the Schengen computer system contain details of who is married to whom?

As for keeping documentation of when one has travelled together - exactly what documentation do they expect or require, particularly is one is travelling in a MH across open intra-Schengen borders?

Geoff

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
If I comment on this Jim will Ban me so I will keep my comments to myself :)
Yes but that is what the Uk did for an 'easy' life ,along with failing to require people to register. now it has come back to haunt them.🤷‍♂️

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
Any evidence that is going to be reciprocated?
None whatsoever and I was not implying it would be. Just pointing out that EU citizens coming to the UK have different restrictions and IF it was reciprocated, most of the complaining would disappear as it would allow people to spend the whole UK winter in Spain.

Personally I believe the 180/360 was done by the UK Gov. to allow migrant workers in Farming and Tourism but that is just my opinion.

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
None whatsoever and I was not implying it would be. Just pointing out that EU citizens coming to the UK have different restrictions and IF it was reciprocated, most of the complaining would disappear as it would allow people to spend the whole UK winter in Spain.

Personally I believe the 180/360 was done by the UK Gov. to allow migrant workers in Farming and Tourism but that is just my opinion.
Just seen the posts that EU citizens can leave and reset the 180 day clock, this may be the case, when I worked the the US a lot we had 90 day visas and we would fly to Toronto for a weekend on the lash and then start the 90 days clock again.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Think Uk 18O Day visa is for anybody from anywhere in the world . Decided by Uk govt some time ago. ( EU decided 90 day rule for folks from anyway in the world ) .

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Surely it is we have 180 days in 360, this must have been negotiated it’s just split in to two 90 day sets.
The lack of equivalence is obvious. As has been pointed out, if the 180 in 360 was reciprocated then much of the complaining and inconvenience to those wishing to over-winter in Spain would evaporate.

However the 90 days in a 180 day window pre-dates Brexit. It's a general rule applied, by the nations that are Schengen signatories, to all 3rd country nationals and originates in the Schengen agreement from 1985 and more specifically the Schengen Convention of 1990. So as far as I can see the EU have simply continued to apply the usual conditions that apply to all non-EU countries. They didn't need to change anything and they haven't - so no real negotiation going on there.

Practically the UK has had to come up something to replace the pre-Brexit freedom of movement provision of Schengen, which was, after all one of the main drivers of the Pro-Brexit vote and has chosen the 180 days in 360 policy. I'm not an expert so please correct me if I have misunderstood. The UK gov website says:

"You can continue to visit the UK for up to 6 months without applying for a visa and may participate in a wide range of activities, including tourism, visiting family and friends, short term study, attend job interviews and other business-related activities, such as events and conferences."

Beyond that you need a specific work visa dependent on skills. Agricultural workers don't fall into those categories as far as I can see so I doubt if it's helping the farmers much. These are the UK government's choices. Not a result of a negotiation as far as I know. But as I say I'm no expert.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I think you are right . Pretty sure it’s the pre brexit position of the UK govt. for visitors from around the world e.g USA NZ citizens when we were an EU member but having chosen not to be in the Schengen area.
But always happy to be corrected .

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
just an update

so i've had a long extensive insurance day today and LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area accidentally or not, this is what they said

"As you have paid for 365 days motor travel insurance with 180 days overseas european cover, you can take the 180 days however you choose to, if Brexit allows you to say for a maximum of 90 days, and you stay over 90 days then LV will still cover you for up to and including 180 days regardless of any issues with overstaying the legal limit. You will be insured for the full 180 days regardless if you take them in 1's, 10's or 180.

Thats good to know (y) (y)

mandello

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
RV
We entered Spain 5th June this year at Santander with the intention of travelling for 90 days in Europe or longer then going to Croatia and then entering Schengen after 90 days there. However we came back via France and there were no border checks when leaving Spain. Despite not overstaying the 90 days the French were extremely interested in grilling us on everything, dates, durations, everywhere we had stayed and despite us doing nothing wrong were not happy we had entered France. They took so long we actually missed our Eurotunnel crossing. I certainly wouldn't overstay and exit via France.

Speaking to people in Spain we heard various rumours. Lots of people saying Gestors are saying a change will come in September and this will give uk citizens an exemption to the the 90 day restriction. That the Spanish aren't enforcing the 90 day anyways and they have no desire to do so. Could be rubbish,
We are going back to Europe soon and may overstay as we have close family there and are out of other options but equally don't want to get banned from Europe either 😂.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
this is copy of a message from my mate who's applied for residency in Spain, i've asked his opinion whether or not Spain will either issue a "longer stay visa"

this is part of the reply he sent back last night

"Probably, as they've had a taste of "no brits" & will realise they need us more than they think. It's all well the Spanish coming in droves on discounted hols, hotels and camp sites have offered them massive discounts just to come, but that's not gonna help the economy as they don't spend anything neither !

Tight bxxxxxxs on here buy their food & drink at the supermarket or bring it with them, then pack into cooler boxes & take to the pool and don't spend anything ! It's chocka at the pool all day everyday & the bar there isn't even open ! Same probably happens at the beach as they all group together with cool boxes and don't use the cafes/bars and restaurants !"

I have to say I hope he's right regarding the visa as hopeful as I am, the original thread where I posted about Willy a few months ago, highlighted this very same issue, the brits spend and a lot of the rest don't, businesses have closed in that area from march 31st as the brits went home in droves after being frightened by social media.

Only time will tell I suppose but as gradyp mentioned above, is it going to be one of those rules that gets overlooked, have "they" been instructed to ignore the long stayers because of the damage its doing to there local economies.
We ha e just had a Spanish family who live in Andorra rent our house for three weeks I’m Spain.

Arrived with 2 huge cool boxes .

They went out of the house twice in 3 weeks.

That’s a contrast to the almost 100% british clientele who would eat out at restaurants most days. Some families don’t even have breakfast at the house.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We entered Spain 5th June this year at Santander with the intention of travelling for 90 days in Europe or longer then going to Croatia and then entering Schengen after 90 days there. However we came back via France and there were no border checks when leaving Spain. Despite not overstaying the 90 days the French were extremely interested in grilling us on everything, dates, durations, everywhere we had stayed and despite us doing nothing wrong were not happy we had entered France. They took so long we actually missed our Eurotunnel crossing. I certainly wouldn't overstay and exit via France.

Speaking to people in Spain we heard various rumours. Lots of people saying Gestors are saying a change will come in September and this will give uk citizens an exemption to the the 90 day restriction. That the Spanish aren't enforcing the 90 day anyways and they have no desire to do so. Could be rubbish,
We are going back to Europe soon and may overstay as we have close family there and are out of other options but equally don't want to get banned from Europe either 😂.
I thought spain would have to adhere to the EU rules on that?.

Whilst having their own residency rules, costa Etc

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
We ha e just had a Spanish family who live in Andorra rent our house for three weeks I’m Spain.

That’s a contrast to the almost 100% british clientele who would eat out at restaurants most days. Some families don’t even have breakfast at the house.
Does that add to might point then that Spain really do need our income, i'd have thought so, especially the smaller towns and villages that are frequented in the winter months.

I'd argue that the locals who are on holiday or not, simply do not spend locally to where they are holidaying as much as the brits do, Spain will as suggested, i'm thinking, turn a blind eye to us staying longer than 90 days

Its the Frenchies that we'll need to contend with on our return i'm thinking ;)(y)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Does that add to might point then that Spain really do need our income, i'd have thought so, especially the smaller towns and villages that are frequented in the winter months.

I'd argue that the locals who are on holiday or not, simply do not spend locally to where they are holidaying as much as the brits do, Spain will as suggested, i'm thinking, turn a blind eye to us staying longer than 90 days

Its the Frenchies that we'll need to contend with on our return i'm thinking ;)(y)
Don’t worry the Russians and Chinese will take up the vacancies. When we rent a villa we have most our meals at the villa and one or two lunches out so I guess we are not typical.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp

My mate rents an apartment here & has regular uk returnee's .One couple from Scotland stay for 4 weeks every year & go nowhere except the supermarket twice whilst here.
I suppose it is the difference between renting inland(here) & at the coast?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don’t worry the Russians and Chinese will take up the vacancies. When we rent a villa we have most our meals at the villa and one or two lunches out so I guess we are not typical.
Not in motorhomes and campers,,BUSBY.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

I was talking to a customer today who has been travelling and touring France for 40 years. He went last year and was really shocked at the french resentment to his families presence. Even on the campsite in for Dordogne he had stayed at for the last 6 summers.

I believe his story and find it quite sad really.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Just sat here thinking and I wonder what our "normal" medical / motorhome insurance would say to over staying the 90 days. I know you can request and pay for extended insurances , but I suggest that most of us have bog standard insurance
As an aside, some house insurance policies say 60 days away.

When you need to use an online calculator for the 90/180 rule, you know there is going to be trouble.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
(y) But my guess is MoHo users are only a small % your more line to Rock up next to someone from the Netherlands
Not on the Costa Blanca or Costa del Sol.BUSBY.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
just an update

so i've had a long extensive insurance day today and LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area accidentally or not, this is what they said

"As you have paid for 365 days motor travel insurance with 180 days overseas european cover, you can take the 180 days however you choose to, if Brexit allows you to say for a maximum of 90 days, and you stay over 90 days then LV will still cover you for up to and including 180 days regardless of any issues with overstaying the legal limit. You will be insured for the full 180 days regardless if you take them in 1's, 10's or 180.

Thats good to know (y) (y)
I would still ask to have that in writing. Just in case.....Just sayin

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
As an aside, some house insurance policies say 60 days away.

When you need to use an online calculator for the 90/180 rule, you know there is going to be trouble.

I think you might find that it’s 30days, that’s been the stipulation with the last 3 insurance companies I’ve been with...just sayin.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was talking to a customer today who has been travelling and touring France for 40 years. He went last year and was really shocked at the french resentment to his families presence. Even on the campsite in for Dordogne he had stayed at for the last 6 summers.

I believe his story and find it quite sad really.
From the France's perspective, we've told them we don't want to share with them anymore, and it's cost them a bunch of money to put up a new fence that they didn't get a choice in. I'm not that surprised that they are a bit annoyed.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
Not on the Costa Blanca or Costa del Sol.BUSBY.

I think you are right there Busby, the del sol and Blanca populations must be made up of about50%brits between October and May, that a lot of income for them to lose, I do see a change coming, just a case of when . Just my view tho.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back