Staying longer than 90 days in the EU (1 Viewer)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I wonder what would be the reaction if hoards of people from across the channel rocked up in blighty fully intent on overstaying their legal time, even perhaps making use of the NHS while they're here?

I don’t think there’d be any reaction at all to be honest, it seems that any Tom Dick or Harry can come here no problem, not the same in NZ, Australia or USA, seems like our doors are open to all and sundry.....

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Always worth checking, and I checked again(!), with LV it is 60 days. :cool:
A quick phone call to LV and you can get time away extended to end of policy. Our last extension cost £10.50 This would be from December till May. Need someone to pop in once a week, check around and move mail heating to be on 12 degrees or drained down.

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
A quick phone call to LV and you can get time away extended to end of policy. Our last extension cost £10.50 This would be from December till May. Need someone to pop in once a week, check around and move mail heating to be on 12 degrees or drained down.
Mine is up for renewal and it is something I may well enquire about. Thanks for the tip.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
just an update

so i've had a long extensive insurance day today and LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area accidentally or not, this is what they said

"As you have paid for 365 days motor travel insurance with 180 days overseas european cover, you can take the 180 days however you choose to, if Brexit allows you to say for a maximum of 90 days, and you stay over 90 days then LV will still cover you for up to and including 180 days regardless of any issues with overstaying the legal limit. You will be insured for the full 180 days regardless if you take them in 1's, 10's or 180.

Thats good to know (y) (y)
Apologies in advance if I am missing something here, but insurance cover is one thing and the rules covering access to the counties that are signatories of the Schengen Agreement, which define how long you can spend in the Schengen Area are entirely separate.
LV appear to be saying that they will insure you for 180 days irrespective of the fact that you have overstayed in the Schengen Area - which is welcome but otherwise unremarkable. However if you overstay the 90 days in 180 you won't need insurance, in the worst instance, and if your overstay was sufficiently egregious because you won't be allowed back into Schengen Area countries - any of them.

See here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

"Germany is known to have the strictest immigration laws in the EU in this direction; while Greece is known for applying very high fines to those caught overstaying.

In general, all of the member states apply one of the following types of penalties for overstaying a Schengen visa or a permitted stay."

Deportation

When you get caught staying illegally in Europe, you will totally be deported to your home country. The deportation procedures depend on your case and the country where you are caught. You may be deported immediately, within just a few hours or after a few days. On the other hand, if you get caught engaging in paid activity while overstaying your visa, or engaging in illegal activities, you will most possibly be taken into custody where you will wait for your trial. If you are found guilty then you will be held in prison or fined a high amount of money. Upon completing the punishment, you will then be deported to your home country and banned from entering the Schengen for a specific amount of time.

Deportation is always followed by another consequence. Usually, you will know about it before being deported, since you will receive the decision on your case. If you have just overstayed a few days, and you are lucky to be caught in one of the countries that go easy on overstayers, you may leave without another penalty.

Difficulties coming back to Schengen

Even if you get back to your home country without any fine or ban, you should know that your overstaying will cause you problems the next time you attempt to enter the Schengen Zone. Immigration officers and border guards tend to be suspicious on people who overstay once, no matter in which country they were caught overstaying. Therefore, you will encounter difficulties in getting a Schengen visa or crossing the EU external borders.

Fine

This is the most often penalty for overstaying a visa. Depending on the member state, the fees are applied differently. However, if you are caught after you have illegally remained in the Schengen for a longer time, aside from a fine being applied to you, you will also be banned from entering the Schengen Area for an appointed period of time, or even forever.

Ban

Banning people from entering the Schengen is usually applied to those overstaying and working or engaging in other illegal activities. A person can be banned for a period of three years and more from entering any of the member states of the Schengen area.

No consequences

There are also cases when people do not bear any consequence for overstaying their visas. If you are a child or a person that cannot travel without a caretaker because of an illness or disability, then most possibly you will not face any consequences for overstaying."

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Apologies in advance if I am missing something here, but insurance cover is one thing and the rules covering access to the counties that are signatories of the Schengen Agreement, which define how long you can spend in the Schengen Area are entirely separate.
LV appear to be saying that they will insure you for 180 days irrespective of the fact that you have overstayed in the Schengen Area - which is welcome but otherwise unremarkable. However if you overstay the 90 days in 180 you won't need insurance, in the worst instance, and if your overstay was sufficiently egregious because you won't be allowed back into Schengen Area countries - any of them.
Sorry, the message about house insurance is, don't forget about it! The 90 day rule is one thing, but remember, your house insurance may stipulate a much shorter time of being empty. I wasn't trying to marry the two together, just a heads up.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Yes I saw that, but the quote which I included was from Al n Val and said " ....LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area...." which implies that it is possible to stay longer than 90 days in 180 in the Schengen zone. It is not.

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
Yes I saw that, but the quote which I included was from Al n Val and said " ....LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area...." which implies that it is possible to stay longer than 90 days in 180 in the Schengen zone. It is not.
its implying nothing of the sort.

all they are saying, regarding of all the brexit sh!te people keep on dragging up, is that i'm covered for 365 days unless stipulated and the schengen area is covered.

Ask LV if you don't believe rather than implying things on here

Al

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
just an update

so i've had a long extensive insurance day today and LV have come up trumps again with regards to staying longer than 90 in the Schengen area accidentally or not, this is what they said

"As you have paid for 365 days motor travel insurance with 180 days overseas european cover, you can take the 180 days however you choose to, if Brexit allows you to say for a maximum of 90 days, and you stay over 90 days then LV will still cover you for up to and including 180 days regardless of any issues with overstaying the legal limit. You will be insured for the full 180 days regardless if you take them in 1's, 10's or 180.

Thats good to know (y) (y)
Do they offer more then the 180 days too if people wish?

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
you'd have to ask them, possibly, but its not something i've personally asked them tbh, maybe as an addon I really don't know
Thank you, we are planning to only come back to the UK a couple of times a year so will be away for more then 180 days.

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
its implying nothing of the sort.

all they are saying, regarding of all the brexit sh!te people keep on dragging up, is that i'm covered for 365 days unless stipulated and the schengen area is covered.

Ask LV if you don't believe rather than implying things on here

Al
As I said in my initial post "Apologies in advance if I am missing something here"
Clearly I was - I honestly thought the thread was about insurance related to staying more than 90/180 days in Europe.
Apologies, again, for the misunderstanding. I am very glad that you have found cover for 365 days. I shall do as you suggest ask LV if they can offer me a similar deal. I am currently covered (ish) by my Nationwide policy for only 31 days. As for Brexit sh!te, I wouldn't know. Things haven't changed much for me since I have never traveled in Europe for more than 90/180 days, so it's a non-issue.

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thank you, we are planning to only come back to the UK a couple of times a year so will be away for more then 180 days.
Of course those who have a Eurozone passport can do so...like you have..😀👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
, the Irish for starters are inundated with applications…..
But for thise who have to use the 'foreign registration ' first they will have a long wait as they have been shut down since the start of the pandemic, & with no reopening date proposed at present, & it is only those who have a direct relative who are still being processed.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don’t think there’d be any reaction at all to be honest, it seems that any Tom Dick or Harry can come here no problem, not the same in NZ, Australia or USA, seems like our doors are open to all and sundry.....
Not true and never has been it’s often the press that makes it seem that way. A good friend fell in love with a Turkish woman who was working for him ( yes she had a long term work permit). They got married but to reside in the U.K. permanently it cost them around £10,000 and go through hoops of official paperwork. (This was about 15 years ago)

You to can reside in other countries should you choose but you will also have to go through the pain of following that countries process.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
You can stay longer than 90 days if you have applied to stay longer or if you have a right to stay longer eg you have an eu passport…..

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

See here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/consequences-of-overstaying-in-schengen-area/

"Germany is known to have the strictest immigration laws in the EU in this direction; while Greece is known for applying very high fines to those caught overstaying.

In general, all of the member states apply one of the following types of penalties for overstaying a Schengen visa or a permitted stay."

Deportation

When you get caught staying illegally in Europe, you will totally be deported to your home country. The deportation procedures depend on your case and the country where you are caught. You may be deported immediately, within just a few hours or after a few days. On the other hand, if you get caught engaging in paid activity while overstaying your visa, or engaging in illegal activities, you will most possibly be taken into custody where you will wait for your trial. If you are found guilty then you will be held in prison or fined a high amount of money. Upon completing the punishment, you will then be deported to your home country and banned from entering the Schengen for a specific amount of time.

Deportation is always followed by another consequence. Usually, you will know about it before being deported, since you will receive the decision on your case. If you have just overstayed a few days, and you are lucky to be caught in one of the countries that go easy on overstayers, you may leave without another penalty.

Difficulties coming back to Schengen

Even if you get back to your home country without any fine or ban, you should know that your overstaying will cause you problems the next time you attempt to enter the Schengen Zone. Immigration officers and border guards tend to be suspicious on people who overstay once, no matter in which country they were caught overstaying. Therefore, you will encounter difficulties in getting a Schengen visa or crossing the EU external borders.

Fine

This is the most often penalty for overstaying a visa. Depending on the member state, the fees are applied differently. However, if you are caught after you have illegally remained in the Schengen for a longer time, aside from a fine being applied to you, you will also be banned from entering the Schengen Area for an appointed period of time, or even forever.

Ban

Banning people from entering the Schengen is usually applied to those overstaying and working or engaging in other illegal activities. A person can be banned for a period of three years and more from entering any of the member states of the Schengen area.

No consequences

There are also cases when people do not bear any consequence for overstaying their visas. If you are a child or a person that cannot travel without a caretaker because of an illness or disability, then most possibly you will not face any consequences for overstaying."

In that link it says Deportation 'to home country'. I wonder whether they mean country of citizenship or country of residence.?

In normal parlance 'home' would be where you live, so it would be 'residence', but without it being defined it is open to interpretation.

Geoff

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Any country can issue visas however they wish for whoever they wish. The andalucia region of spain is considering this for obvious financial reasons. the first domino I would suggest.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
In that link it says Deportation 'to home country'. I wonder whether they mean country of citizenship or country of residence.?

In normal parlance 'home' would be where you live, so it would be 'residence', but without it being defined it is open to interpretation.

Geoff
If an American, residing in the UK committed a crime in an EU country I do believe you would be sent back to the US as that is where their 'home' country is, the individual could try and get back to the UK as a resident but it would be interesting to see what happened at customs

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Any country can issue visas however they wish for whoever they wish. The andalucia region of spain is considering this for obvious financial reasons. the first domino I would suggest.
🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back