Staying longer than 90 days in the EU (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Any country can issue visas however they wish for whoever they wish. The andalucia region of spain is considering this for obvious financial reasons. the first domino I would suggest.
Andalucia is a region, not a country. Regions don't and cannot issue visas. Andalucia would have to persuade the national government in Madrid that something needed to be done, but whatever they did would need to be complementary to the rules of the Schengen Agreement to which Spain in a signatory.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Had my passport stamped at Paphos Airport.I would like to stay indefinitely but 8 days is all for now..The ferry service to Greece might restart next year...

Pirahna

Free Member
Aug 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
Exp
Since never. I've been a lightweight tent camper for the last 45 years.
Nephew has just been deported from Romania, fined 2000 euros and banned from Schengen for 6 months for overstating by about 30 days

Romainia isn't part of Schengen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Apparently as part of their current application process they are applying the Schengen rules. I only heard 2nd hand from his grandad but he was adamant he was banned from Schengen and not just Romania.
Something odd there surely. Romania is not in the schengen zone so cannot enforce schengen zone rules.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Romainia isn't part of Schengen.
No but they stick to the schengen rules to facilitate there overdue entry . see paragraph

" what joining schengen would mean for Rmania"

here;
One of the greatest benefits of joining the Schengen Area will be the adoption of Broken Link Removed. Travellers from visa-exempt third nations can now stay in Romania without a visa for up to 90 days per 180-day period, just like in the Schengen Area. Whilst this provides easy access to the country, it does not offer the highest levels of safety and security.

over 90 visa would be needed so they allow 3rd countries the same as eu schengen 90 in 180

** sorry forgot the link,

Broken Link Removed

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
But before Romania joins Schengen how will other Schengen countries treat one's stay in Romania?

Will they count it in the 90/180 if one transits Romania for 30 days on one's way to Greece(Schengen)?

Geoff

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
But before Romania joins Schengen how will other Schengen countries treat one's stay in Romania?

Will they count it in the 90/180 if one transits Romania for 30 days on one's way to Greece(Schengen)?

Geoff
i would suggest they would be treated the same as if you stayed for any period of time in any other non schengen country ..

Aug 18, 2018
Funster No
Most countries apply a 90 day limit on visits. Countries set the penalties for overstaying the rules they apply. Once Romania has joined Schengen then the 90 day/180 rolling-count is based on time spent in any Schengen countries rather than time only in Romania. However any penalties applied by the country that identifies your overstay - presumably as you exit the Schengen zone are up to the individual countries to decide. They are broadly coordinated however. See below for penalties and more information.

(NB The UK along with several other countries has a Visa waiver for entry into Schengen zone countries which means you don't actually need to apply for a visa but the 90 days in a rolling 180 still apply to us, post-Brexit, and many others as it has always done.)

"Therefore, the consequences of overstaying in the Schengen territory, whether your visa or the permitted 90 days for nationals of the countries under the visa-waiver program, depend a lot on the number of days you have overstayed, and the country you get caught in. Germany is known to have the strictest immigration laws in the EU in this direction; while Greece is known for applying very high fines to those caught overstaying."

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
my mate stayed approx 58 days over the 90 and left Spain with no issues, no passport stamped or scanned and he made a point of looking.

Whether or not he’s penalised when he goes back again in Oct we’ll have to wait and see 😉

I am still hopeful that next year maybe Spain will introduce a Visa which will allow us to stay 180 days, fingers crossed 🤞
What happened in October?

Dec 31, 2021
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
2022 Chausson 660
Exp
Previously Elddis Accordo 125
If Spain introduces a visa of 180 days it will be interesting to see how that works since presumably it will not be valid in other EU countries. So I can imagine that if you stay in Spain over 90 days and then drive home through France the French will hit you with penalties. On the other hand I can imagine that if you do it in the other direction, you might be able to spend 90 days in EU countries, cross into Spain for another 90 days and then come home on the ferry.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Could be I'm wrong but there always was a 90 day rule in each country that required you to at least register with the local government if you were staying longer. That applied all over the EU but you could avoid problems by nipping over the border to another country. It became a real issue for the UK when we decided to leave the club and lost our rights in this respect and the 90/180 limit was applied across the Schengen zone instead of individual countries. Personally I think the EU will stick to the rules, not least because of the pressure of asylum seekers coming in from Africa and Asia and talk of this country or that country cutting their own deals is in the realms of unicorn spotting.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Could be I'm wrong but there always was a 90 day rule in each country that required you to at least register with the local government if you were staying longer. That applied all over the EU but you could avoid problems by nipping over the border to another country. It became a real issue for the UK when we decided to leave the club and lost our rights in this respect and the 90/180 limit was applied across the Schengen zone instead of individual countries. Personally I think the EU will stick to the rules, not least because of the pressure of asylum seekers coming in from Africa and Asia and talk of this country or that country cutting their own deals is in the realms of unicorn spotting.
What would have been the point of nipping over the border into another country?? No one would be checking.BUSBY.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
What would have been the point of nipping over the border into another country?? No one would be checking.BUSBY.
Nope, probably not but then I think the original 90 day rule was aimed at people who might take up 'unofficial' residence in a country rather than itinerate motor homers drifting hither and thither as the whim takes them . . . .

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
If Spain introduces a visa of 180 days it will be interesting to see how that works since presumably it will not be valid in other EU countries. So I can imagine that if you stay in Spain over 90 days and then drive home through France the French will hit you with penalties. On the other hand I can imagine that if you do it in the other direction, you might be able to spend 90 days in EU countries, cross into Spain for another 90 days and then come home on the ferry.
Fair point, although there is currently a similar situation in force at the moment.
Gibraltar ID card holders can cross into Spain without passport stamping at the moment, subject to a final deal being negotiated.

However, it appears that this waiver is ONLY applicable on the Gib border crossing and so it sort of challenges the point about other countries validating the waivers. (I have friends who have travelled throughout Schengen from here without passport stamps.)

I guess that the only proviso would be that you exit Schengen from the country/point who’s waiver you are using.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back