Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I got asked the other day if I "could make a person an Extra Special Funster, like I'd made Old Mo."

old-mo.png

Well there's a story about how Mo became Extra Special. Long before we had Life Membership, old Mo was at a rally and he had a Gas Water Boiler surplus to requirement. He asked what would I give him for it. I had no cash but he said if he never had to pay subs again for rest of his life and we put "life member" under his name we could have it.

I weighed him up, he looked a mess, roll up in his mouth a hacking cough, he reeled off a load of medication he was on, bad back, bad knees. I smiled inwardly, looks like this gas Boiler would be a bargain and I agreed to swap the boiler for Life Membership.

Now other people asked how could they become a Life Member like Mo? And after a while we came up with the idea of selling life memberships. That first sale around 25 members bought Life Memberships, and all was well. But then Mo started moaning, he said now there were lots of life Members he didn't feel "Special" any more. So, as a joke, I made the "Extra Special" badge for him and then promptly forgot about it and it's been there ever since. While Mo looks healthier and younger every time I see himo_O

Some Funsters do go above and beyond and it would be nice to publicly recognise their efforts. I've toyed with the idea of Funster of the Month or Year. But very often this type of thing ends up more about who didn't get the award, or who was more deserving, then you get the favouritism claims and rather than bring people together this type of award can be divisive.

That said, I think our hard working rally marshalls are "Extra Special" and I'm working on some recognition for their efforts in the new year.. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That said, I think our hard working rally marshalls are "Extra Special" and I'm working on some recognition for their efforts in the new year.. (y)

And that FUNsters is how the category "Cat Herder" came about.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
How about some form of "badge" honor..
ie.. Rally marshals who complete x number get the badge.
Technical badge
Travel advisor badge etc etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
What about an extra bacon roll for them at rallies....;) :xrofl:

:xgrin:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I just asked Irene is she knew any "special members"..

She just smiled, giggled a bit then walked away with a big grin...

????????????????

Aug 23, 2012
Corton, Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
10 years m/h, plus 15 years caravan......
A nice idea for the unsung heroes, not yet (note the word yet) marshalled for funsters, but have “stewarded & hosted” for other clubs. I appreciate everyone that does such a great job......well done.....

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Having one's member publicly recognised as special in one's later years must be a huge confidence boost, it has to be said.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I weighed him up, he looked a mess, roll up in his mouth a hacking cough, he reeled off a load of medication he was on, bad back, bad knees. I smiled inwardly, looks like this gas Boiler would be a bargain and I agreed to swap the boiler for Life Membership.

:xrofl: :xrofl: :xrofl:

I have just wet myself all down my trouser legs and into my new slippers and onto the New Lounge carpet... :crying:

I shall be contacting my solicitor @Chris ....

As soon as I can control my laughter, regarding Compensation... :nod: :nod: :restmycase:

PS............. Love the snow, Jim... :xThumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
"The Funsters New Years Honours List" sounds great to me. :xThumb:
Funnily enough I was thinking of that earlier today when I saw Shiftzz's thread about NYHs ... not sure what the categories would/should be though ... :xgrin:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I agree that @old-mo is "special" he's deffo a one off, nobody else like Maurice. I think all the members should get down on bended knees and thank the Lord we don't have anyone else like him, ever! :eek:

:xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

For crying out load don't play poker with the old bugger then, you'll get fleeced :xrofl:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Ill just stay as a Funster as I'm sure there isn't enough room under my avatar to fully advice people of my standing :)

myshell

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Funster No
Not being pedantic but, Dib Dib Dib is wrong ! Dyb Dyb Dyb (Do your best) is the correct way.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm wondering if some more 'life membership' sales are about to be offered ?

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@Jim we in WALES would make you a WELSH special member and the rules are to be one fly a WELCH FLAG,have a WELCH DRAGON on your m/h ,have a tattoo with I love WALES on both arms ,cry when the anthem is sung,then we may make you a special member ray HO,HO,HO,lol still lol o and LOVE SHEEP

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back