Spare Wheel in Spain?? ..... Really? (1 Viewer)

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Just flicked through the Phillips European Atlas and saw a spare wheel is compulsary in Spain??
Is this right? Is it an urban myth? What experience / knowledge do you all have about this?

If it is how, do cars, vans etc get a european conformity licence when you get given a tube of gunk!!

We're off next week with no obvious place for a spare wheel, except in the shower!

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Just flicked through the Phillips European Atlas and saw a spare wheel is compulsary in Spain??
Is this right? Is it an urban myth? What experience / knowledge do you all have about this?

If it is how, do cars, vans etc get a european conformity licence when you get given a tube of gunk!!

We're off next week with no obvious place for a spare wheel, except in the shower!

From gov.co.uk : ( Spain )

You must have a spare wheel and the tools to change it.

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for this. Just followed up on gov.uk, on advice re compulsary equipment when driving abroad. the link sent me to the AA .
They say
  • Spare wheel (not for two-wheeled vehicles) – and the tools to change a wheel, or a tyre repair kit.

So repair kit looks ok..? (But clearly not really up to the job.)

Will check other sites and post any different advice. Could be the start of a head ache.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Thanks for this. Just followed up on gov.uk, on advice re compulsary equipment when driving abroad. the link sent me to the AA .
They say
  • Spare wheel (not for two-wheeled vehicles) – and the tools to change a wheel, or a tyre repair kit.

So repair kit looks ok..? (But clearly not really up to the job.)

Will check other sites and post any different advice. Could be the start of a head ache.

The main issue with the repair kit & pump is that it's absolutely useless in the case of a catastrophic tyre wall failure, which isn't uncommon.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The law has probably never been changed since the days when you DID get a spare as standard issue.
Breathalysers are still compulsory in France, but you don't have to carry one.
Easier for the gov to ignore the rule than change the rule book.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Having a suitable space for the spare wheel was part of my van spec. Although others are confident they can obtain a suitable roadside tyre repair without much hassle in Europe, I am not, and keep a spare and kit in the van all the time.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Would a spare fit in a cage under your van?

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
The main issue with the repair kit & pump is that it's absolutely useless in the case of a catastrophic tyre wall failure, which isn't uncommon.
Or a big gouge.....

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Oh well we're near the limit so can't carry a spar, e wheel and have to make do with the tyre sealant kit that came with the van. Hope the breakdown company is good because we wouldn't change it anyway ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Could be the start of a head ache.

Maybe bigger than you think, there are reports in here of breakdown firms refusing to attend a tyre problem if no spare is carried.

Which is not that unreasonable, get to breakdown, remove wheel, find tyre depot open, fit new tyre, return to breakdown. That's not exactly profitable is it. Turns a fifteen minute job into hours or days.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
My new 5 meter WildAx van has a spare wheel :)

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Having a suitable space for the spare wheel was part of my van spec. Although others are confident they can obtain a suitable roadside tyre repair without much hassle in Europe, I am not, and keep a spare and kit in the van all the time.
As has been discussed one here many times, why would you go anywhere in a MoHo without a spare and means to change a wheel?

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks for all the views advice.

We have a Chasson 510 on a ford transit. So luckily have a largeist rear toilet/ shower where a spare can sit (or will it squat)

Probably carry a spare tyre . Just been told a wheel will take a week as it comes from Germany.

No idea if it's doable to get a device to fit under the van. It looks like the waste tank and fuel tanks take up a fair bit of room, before you get to exhaust, brake pipes etc?

Anybody know if it's possible under a transit, or where to go for advice inSouth Wales?

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

We have a Chasson 510 on a ford transit. So luckily have a largeist rear toilet/ shower where a spare can sit (or will it squat)

Probably carry a spare tyre . Just been told a wheel will take a week as it comes from Germany.

No idea if it's doable to get a device to fit under the van. It looks like the waste tank and fuel tanks take up a fair bit of room, before you get to exhaust, brake pipes etc?

Anybody know if it's possible under a transit, or where to go for advice inSouth Wales?

Without doubt, there is NO chance of getting a spare wheel with tyre, or tyre alone, fitted under the chassis of our Chausson Flash 10, Transit base. I have looked at every possibility, but the tyre is about 4" too great a diameter.

BUT, I have a cunning plan !! If it works I'll post the photos on here.

MHdreaming

Free Member
May 19, 2014
SouthEast UK
Funster No
This insurance company who provide Motorhome insurance including breakdown have a section in their blog,
“Spanish driving laws” they say you require

“Spare tyre and the equipment required to change it”

However further down, below the driving laws within the comments someone askes

“You advise new Spanish Driving Regulations require all vehicles to carry a spare wheel and the means to change it. Many cars nowadays are supplied without a spare wheel, simply an aerosol to seal the inside of the tyre to enable you to re-inflate to get you to a garage for replacement. Will this fall foul of the regulations and do you have to purchase a spare wheel for temporary visits to that country?”

Their Reply…..

As far as I can see the law does extend to include a tyre repair kit – apologies for not making this clearer.

https://www.lifesure.co.uk/blog/2014/06/heading-to-spain-a-guide-to-the-new-driving-laws/

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I have never had a puncture that has happened quickly whilst driving that a repair kit and sealant would touch,,usually tyre is knackered by the time you manage to stop,,and i have been on the road for 50 odd years,,Kits are ok for slow punctures,,I would not leave home without a spare..BUSBY..

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Having a panel van it's quite easy to carry the spare wheel that it came with as it's underneath at the rear, however I did have a practice the other day to take it out which was fine but the pressure was 20 psi too low so shoved some air in it. I also put the Punctureseal stuff in the van tyres last week .

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Whilst researching European breakdown cover looked at ADAC but couldn't find an english language policy document.
However QDOS say - in the small print about what is not covered-

Any costs incurred as a result of not carrying a serviceable spare tyre and wheel for Your vehicle, caravan or trailer, except for those Eligible Vehicles that have not been designed and built by the manufacturer to support the carriage of a serviceable spare tyre. This applies equally to full size and/or space saver, alternatives.

So looks you're covered if your vehcile is designed Not to carry a spare.
Also under £70 for a months travel.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Whilst researching European breakdown cover looked at ADAC but couldn't find an english language policy document.
However QDOS say - in the small print about what is not covered-

Any costs incurred as a result of not carrying a serviceable spare tyre and wheel for Your vehicle, caravan or trailer, except for those Eligible Vehicles that have not been designed and built by the manufacturer to support the carriage of a serviceable spare tyre. This applies equally to full size and/or space saver, alternatives.

So looks you're covered if your vehcile is designed Not to carry a spare.
Also under £70 for a months travel.
£70 a month ? I pay ADAC about £80 for 12 months cover,,,BUSBY.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp

Just for the record Some shower trays don't like much weight in them when travelling, and a spare tyre rattling around can be enough to cause sealant or deformation problems.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would a spare fit in a cage under your van?

That depends on the van.

Such a thing already exists in several different forms but on some vans there's simply nowhere to put it.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You can always do it the old fashioned way & bolt it to the bonnett :)or through the back wall, (y)mounted on or attached to a bike rack or even just on the roof rack area.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I carry a spare tyre on my Swift Bolero 680 FB which is on a Fiat Ducato 130. The spare wheel cage has been removed, I assume by Swift at manufacture but the 4 threaded nuts that fasten the cage to the chassis are still there. I screwed threaded bar into each, the length being the width of the tyre plus a bit. I then got 2 metal bars each the diameter of the tyre plus a bit, drilled 2 holes in each so that when offered up to the threaded bars they formed a shallow cross to hold the tyre in place. 2 locking nuts on each, job done.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Until recently if a Spanish cop asked to see my spare tyre I would point at my mid drift (y)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
When it comes to a spare wheel, we appear to be buggered. Burstner Aviano on Alko chassis, the MH manufacturer says there is no option. Alko spare wheel carrier fits underneath rear end, where other stuff is already mounted. However, there seems to be loads of space mid chassis, between front and rear axles, but haven't found any options. :(

Are there companies who make/fit custom spare wheel carriers? My curiosity was roused when I stumbled upon a spare wheel carrier thread by @Techno but I think he confirmed his carrier wasn't compatible with an Aviano.

Looks like we're stuck with the pump & gunk.

Sep 2, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
When it comes to a spare wheel, we appear to be buggered. Burstner Aviano on Alko chassis, the MH manufacturer says there is no option. Alko spare wheel carrier fits underneath rear end, where other stuff is already mounted. However, there seems to be loads of space mid chassis, between front and rear axles, but haven't found any options. :(

Are there companies who make/fit custom spare wheel carriers? My curiosity was roused when I stumbled upon a spare wheel carrier thread by @Techno but I think he confirmed his carrier wasn't compatible with an Aviano.

Looks like we're stuck with the pump & gunk.
Speak to abforfun. I know he fitted a spare tyre carrier to his Burstner amid ships last year. It must be worth asking if what he fitted would take a wheel with a tyre.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Speak to abforfun. I know he fitted a spare tyre carrier to his Burstner amid ships last year. It must be worth asking if what he fitted would take a wheel with a tyre.
Thanks for the pointer. @abforfun, when convenient, could you please advise on the spare tyre carrier you use and on which model MH?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back