south west scotland December 2017 my birthday mini meet (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On my way to the butchers in a bit, then cooking this afternoon :)

Chilli for 10, curry for 14, gonna need some big pans (y)

And definitely will need help on the re heating front

Does anybody have a microwave? will be doing some rice on Saturday, so much easier in microwave bags that we have, but can warm up in pans of water, if we can find enough pans and hob space :LOL:

Must top up my gas on the way, a lot of cooking and a bit of heating will be needed (y)

I am going to bring up our suitcase genny just to top up batteries, just in case, but sunshine looks good for Saturday, but the nights are long and that awning light takes 4A on its own, cant do and TBH can't be bothered to do the sums on how long that will take to kill my batteries, but if it gets very dark Bev will have some candles :LOL:

See one you tomorrow, some of you Friday, the rest on Saturday (y)(y)

If anybody else is arriving late morning on Friday, we are going to the coffee gift shop in Gatehouse centre for brunch / lunch, favourite of ours, usually soup and toasted sandwich, feel free to park up and join us, or see you as you arrive at the beach

The Gatehouse Gathering is about to commence :):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi David. .. I'm still heading for arrival on Friday but it will be later on in afternoon I think.. there is one smalll fly in the ointment that could delay me till saturay. ...I'm afraid I won'
Know until friday ... sorry .....
I will have a Genny as well... quiter than yours:xThumb::xrofl:
So I'm sure we will manage on power front....:xgrin:

I so don't envy you the cooking. .. very kind and appreciated...
Safe travels and I'll let you know my eta as soon as I know.
Andy.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
The syringe holds 6 ml.
I put around 3 ml in each one. You can put more , but you don’t want to end up with a soggy bottom. Which I find happens if you put too much in.
You can taste the difference though:xThumb:
With the cake slab you just prick with a fork and pour on the brandy let it sink in. Do it all sides . Then wrap with cling film.

We don’t have a microwave , but we’ve got a hob and oven.
I’ll help warm up / keep warm , what ever you need. :xsmile:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A6172A32-BFAB-40BD-A93D-3126A91AB86B.jpeg

Right David ready steady cook :)(y)

Think I might need more pans :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
anybody wanting an LPG top up on the way in (or out) I have just rung this Jet garage at Dumfries they still do it and have some :)(y)

upload_2017-12-13_13-32-10.png

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
anybody wanting an LPG top up on the way in (or out) I have just rung this Jet garage at Dumfries they still do it and have some :)(y)

View attachment 201728

David, far quite a while now the LPG pump in that station has had one of the 2 hoses missing.
On my van it's still easier to pull up on the missing hose side and the other one still reaches the fill point.
The LPG pump is in the pump island closest to the exterior wall of the site, and it's the pump on the side nearest to this wall that's missing.
It's not the most spacious of filling stations, but I've always managed to get in in my little van.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
For those of you staying over at Bellingham, I don't know if it's the same site, but this popped up on my news feed this morning..... :xangry:

http://www.hexham-courant.co.uk/new...-site-2c0d895f-6952-4fea-9a70-2bf7da3411c4-ds
Thanks for that (y) it is the same site.
Not sure who'd be the loudest, me screaming or Tess barking:LOL:.

I've had a slight 'mare of a day with the van earlier but thanks @andy63 for helping, hope I've not delayed your prep too much.

Just looking at the route planning seriously for the first time, I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread.:confused:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, as a man speaking I’m sure your cooking will be perfect, just wish we could have joined you. :xsmile:

Dave while you have her attention can you please check with Sandra, due to a large pan crisis, despite making a medium and hot chilli separately I really need to put them both in one large pan

Can you ask her how best to keep them separate when in same pan :)

1FC044E0-5321-4E2E-A0A6-7C81107FCFC6.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Twas no bother. .. you did well :xThumb:... but I'm sure you know you haven' heard the last of it..:xgrin:..

Andy

You are so right Andy, message from Debbie this morning saying she had read the instructions and sorted it

and there was me thinking how well she had done on her own :)

I am though presuming this is the same issue with the water (y) could be dangerous assuming o_O

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Dave while you have her attention can you please check with Sandra, due to a large pan crisis, despite making a medium and hot chilli separately I really need to put them both in one large pan

View attachment 201755
David, even I as a mere mortal know the answer to that. Make a big medium one, then half it and spice the one half up. :xThumb:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009

View attachment 201755

If it's just for travelling, each in its own large freezer bag and both stored in one big pan.... Not that I'm an expert on chilli transportation :xgrin:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
David and Bev ,
we’ve got a huge steel Homebrew pan. I use it for boiling my ham, and when doing lots of curry/ stew etc.
We can bring it up , to warm up one of the meals. If you cook it then put it in a big bag in your fridge till we get there . Or use it to cook the rice ?
( are you liking the huge slippers? They make the pan look like a saucepan !!)
05937B62-1D18-4ED3-8516-11845D42BA51.jpeg

We’ve also got a gas table top cadac . We have it in Pug anyway, in case you need it . It’ll come in handy I’m sure.
Ralph says he’ll bring his little Honda , just in case too.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Getting quite excited:xThumb:, seems long time since we have been away, no real idea when we will turn up, hoping friday before its too dark. Loving all the pics and especially looking forward to Andy's simple explanation of what exactly Debs couldnt read or interpret:).

Food looks fantastic am sure that the Chef will add their own special touch to it. Not entirely sure if we are supposed to be bringing anything, but if anything needed then please shout. We shall probably be bringing an spare gas bottle and couple of rings. Am very interested in the genny volume challenge as we have never really experienced them in the wild:xThumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I’m hoping the gennies are only for emergency back up . Incase there’s no sun for the solars . We’ll be ok I’m sure but are taking our unused for years one for back up heating / cooking power
Hate the noisy things with vengeance ....

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have counted up to 12 cylinders we need for the portable heaters and hob that we have, if anybody has any with them they may be appreciated when our 12 have gone (y)

as for things to bring,

Friday night is chilli which we would have with buttered (optional) crusty bread, we carry quite a few of the part baked baguettes and hope to get more on the way, but if anybody has those anyway or could pick some up that would be appreciated, we would not do rice normally but if wanted please bring some we can sort it between us. Its already cooked and currently waiting to cool for transfer into bags for chillling

Saturday breakfast, we have picked up bread rolls that will last till then and have bacon and eggs to cook, any other contributions welcomed, but may need extra bread, if we wait till 10 might you be there Brendan or is that too early?

Saturday night curries, looking at them now I am worried we may not have enough, but as Bev says I ALWAYS do too much o_O, plus I have 24 bhajis, plenty of chapattis and rice, the microwave type that we can reheat in the bag if no microwaves between us, no naan bread if anybody wants some please bring some, any other curry type things please feel free to add to the table, we will have gas hob outside to keep warm, curries already cooked awaiting bagging and chilling with the chilli

Sunday breakfast, whatever is left, bread covered by Brendan (y) sausage slab and black pudding Sandra (y) we will have some eggs left and bacon, anybody bringing anything else always welcome (y)

Sunday tea Fillet steak by me, with fried peppers and onions, mushrooms, garlic bread, we have all of these, but help would be appreciated preparing and cooking please

Monday breakfast DIY then we will go for coffee cake in Gatehouse, although we may have more than enough to do our own before we set off :)(y)

Don't bring too much unless it will keep and can go home if not used, but can you ever have enough choice of beer, gin and cake :LOL:

Neil if you could let us know roughly what time you think you might get there, tea can wait for you, unless too late, too late could be quite early or we could be too pissed to bother :LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I’m hoping the gennies are only for emergency back up . Incase there’s no sun for the solars . We’ll be ok I’m sure but are taking our unused for years one for back up heating / cooking power
Hate the noisy things with vengeance ....

theres a nice stone wall they can all sit behind, you will not know they are there, well apart from yours maybe :LOL: we have Hondas don't you know :whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Ralph-n-Bev I think the chilli is already in an identical pan thinking it might be better in a few smaller but we can bring ours to save you room (y)

6922FB12-DAE8-494A-B5F2-06093F9493EB.jpeg

It’s about 6” deep for quantity gauging between 10 of us

Curries harder to judge the quantity but reckon there is a ladle of each for all 14 of us

B9F88D9C-C27C-4F94-A13E-1394E8906C5B.jpeg

Might depend who is in charge of ladle or which one we bring :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
:xsad::xsad::xsad: I'm so sorry but we might not be able to make this after all. Not long after I posted this morning I learned that mum became unwell during the night. She is no better at the moment and I'm waiting on a doctor to arrive.

Hopefully she may be ok in a day or two so don't rule us out of whole weekend yet.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
:xsad::xsad::xsad: I'm so sorry but we might not be able to make this after all. Not long after I posted this morning I learned that mum became unwell during the night. She is no better at the moment and I'm waiting on a doctor to arrive.

Hopefully she may be ok in a day or two so don't rule us out of whole weekend yet.

Hope your mums ok Sandra, if you do come to Dumfries a day early your more than welcome to stop at mine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back