south west scotland December 2017 my birthday mini meet (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening all

possibly our favourite ever location is near Gatehouse of Fleet in Dumfries and Galloway, we have been going to this site since 1990 with our caravan

we are going back on Friday 15th December for my 59th birthday weekend (birthday 18th) no agenda, but will involve chilli, curry, beer and gin :):)

the site use to be a CL, not now but not sure why, the original family owner died, the same family own the farm and still allow camping

It is one of those 'special' places for us, that I am very willing to share, anybody else fancy joining us for any part or all of the weekend? we will be there 15th - possibly 19th may have to leave on 18th, the last time we went they charged £5 / night, but it may have gone up. There is water and dump but after that nothing but the view :):)

beach november 13 032.JPG

beach november 13 033.JPG

beach november 13 034.JPG

I will confirm the rate per night, but TBH we always pay £10 night, the location is well worth it (y)(y)

there is masses of room, about 8 can park on the beach and more if we get cosy :) but the 2 acre field behind will hold dozens

I am definitely going, any others very welcome, but will pack extra beer / gin if I know more might come :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Broken Link Removed

this should link to the location, but I do know the phone number is for the farm manager not the site, love the feedback BTW, I can hear her saying similar :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
That sounds lovely and tempting David but I think we are in Perth the week before but without the motorhome, have a wonderful birthday weekend.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We’d have loved to come but Ive booked the weekend in to work :(
It looks lovely . Right up our street.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
That’s a lovely invite David, but a bit too far for us.
Hope you get some takers and have a great weekend.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
If I thought my batteries would last out we would have been tempted to come David, but this time of year my solar panel just doesn’t cope.
Hope you have a fantastic birthday.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Would love to do this but unfortunately we have to pre book holiday well in advance because of work commitments, it looks a lovely spot though David so I’ll no doubt make a note of it for the future, hope you have a good birthday (y)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Love location David and would loved to have joined you, unfortunetly its my Xmas night out on the 15th and Lorraine's on the 16th. If you let us know when your there though we might pop down for a cuppa.

Jul 25, 2017
scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
Since 2017
Shame we booked a week from 11th December to Spain for my birthday - could have had a double celebration. Would have liked that - lovely spot! Have a good one(y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yaaay I think we can make it .
Just double checked and I’ve actually booked 15/16/17 off!
But we’d not got anything planned, we were thinking about going to robin hoods bay .
But not anymore.
I’m actually working the weekend before . Then we’re off up to Moffat Boxing Day for over New Year.

Please put us down, very much looking forward to going to a lovely spot and celebrating your birthday :clap2::party:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A little more detail about the location

This is where you turn off the A75, it is about 4 miles west of Gatehouse of Fleet, stay on A75 past GoF then pass a lay by on left with tea room log cabin, about a mile after that, road on slight incline as you come out of the trees be ready to turn left into here

upload_2017-11-26_11-25-20.png

after pulling in stop at bungalow on right, I hope to have let them know how many and what days we will be coming in, they may even say to me to drive straight on down, I will let you know (y)

you drive straight on down bungalow on right and farmhouse on left, the track is nearly a mile long down to the beach, they sometimes close a gate to retain sheep but not often, if they do the last gate before the beach will also be closed to keep the sheep off the beach and freedom

the track is a typical farm track, rutted and can be wet, but fine if taken slowly, the last bit down to the beach level looks daunting when you first see it, but it is done by 100's a year and is fine, we towed huge caravans up and down for years, this shows the track route from farm to beach

upload_2017-11-26_11-37-6.png

There is a water tap and a sess pit dump, they prefer minimal levels of blue chemical, but really are not that bothered, it is tankered away

Our own use of this site is arrive and do nothing for a few days, taking in all food for the stay, it is quite a trek back out to the shops
GoF has a coop shop good for basics and a few nice shops, a pub / hotel doing good food, we often eat on way in and out, a lovely coffee shop café above the Coop with very nice gift shop, my secret santa may well come from there (y) unless I get Swansea Jack that is of course :LOL:

I will be keeping an interested eye on the tides for that weekend, the height range is huge, sometimes the sea barely covers the flat area of the bay 50' or so from where we park, but the height of the tide ranges by over 3m and we have once got our caravan wheels wet on a very high tide with high winds, very rare but very impressive seas :) parked a little more sensibly now I am older it would take a severe storm to reach there (y) although only a few feet further back

I can only find tide tables for 7 days on line, anybody with more time or greater concerns for our welfare :LOL: can check for Kirkcudbright Bay tide time tables, these then give height and times (y)

Bev is so looking forward to going back here, not been for a few years, the beach is made up of sand and shells, millions of shells, although for the more intrepid walking out onto the flat area when tide out will discover plenty of mud, been there in the past now prefer the memories :)

upload_2017-11-26_12-10-20.png

upload_2017-11-26_12-12-42.png

upload_2017-11-26_12-13-5.png

the last few are of our first motorhome, they came up on FB recently from 6 years ago, how time flies, just had a lovely recall of arriving on site for our first ever sleep in the new to us MH, arrived at near dark, knew where we would be parking, backed in to a near level area, checked with a quick spirit level check on table (as you do when new)

Bev says what's the first thing to do, having always caravanned where we would now be unhooking, levelling, fetching water etc

I said, you pour the gins, I will turn the gas on, the only thing we had to go outside for, apart from a Lola walk before bed :)(y)

fridge was an AES, gas on, fridge swapped, G + T's poured and tea warming through, loved it, even Bev was more convinced at that moment that maybe the MH did have advantages over the caravan :)

Last edited:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Wish we were free to go, its just down the road from us too! Arghhhh. Have a great birthday bash.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
His David. .I've just seen this..
I was going to head for Cairnryan on the 16th anyway so it could well fit in with plans to go to Ireland. . Just leave a day or two earlier. . So if there'' room count me in..
Andy. .

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
His David. .I've just seen this..
I was going to head for Cairnryan on the 16th anyway so it could well fit in with plans to go to Ireland. . Just leave a day or two earlier. . So if there'' room count me in..
Andy. .

Of course there is room Andy, I think I would have to start a reserve list at about 120 :LOL::LOL: although the by laws might cut in earlier than that :), no limits on numbers, we are up to 4 so far and TBH a week before Christmas I had expected to be on our own

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If I thought my batteries would last out we would have been tempted to come David, but this time of year my solar panel just doesn’t cope.
Hope you have a fantastic birthday.
I'e got a little Honda genny you would be welcome to borrow.. you will never hear it running on the end of a 25man cable(y):LOL:
Andy..

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Would have loved to come but will be in Cornwall by then, looks a nice site ,though, maybe another time...
Have a great time,
Cheers, Dave(y)

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I'e got a little Honda genny you would be welcome to borrow.. you will never hear it running on the end of a 25man cable(y):LOL:
Andy..
Thanks for that kind offer of a genny Andy, would have been nice to be stuck in the naughty corner all weekend. :LOL:
Seriously though, our daughter put the final nail in the coffin over dinner today by saying we would be having a get together that weekend before they go off to America for Xmas.
Will have to wait till May now for our next Scottish trip.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just seen this and thought what a long way, short notice, its a busy week, meetings the week after, what a stupid idea, so sounds great and we'll see you there (y)

I am assuming there is not a fancy dress code:cautious:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have just spoken to Mrs Hamilton, at Newton Farm, that was slightly odd, as we always used to phone ahead and spoke to Mrs Hamilton senior in our caravan days, she is no longer with us, so to say hello Mrs Hamilton knowing she had died a few ago was surreal, luckily she is daughter in law so doesn't sound too much alike

Anyway, they have now put the rate up to £10 / night, not surprised, but just to forewarn those coming :)(y)

She has confirmed to stop at bungalow on right, if no lights, or nobody in or if too late just drive on down

My mobile number for anybody wanting it is 07767 435000, mobile signal is always good down on the beach, including 4g last time :)(y)(y), that must come from Cumbria or the Isle of Man which you see from the site :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
David, do you have a contact number for the site,should we ring them to confirm ??
Looking at your pictures I'm assuming the turn off is shortly after the skyeruburn cafe lay by but before the auchenlerigh
Camp site .??
Andy...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back