Solar Panel Options on Adria Twin (1 Viewer)

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
A question for those Adria owners here -

I have ordered a new Adria Twin Supreme 600 SPB and have a few weeks to confirm what options I want. I want a solar panel but is it best to go with the factory fit option or get the dealer to fit (or wait and go for a panel from another source)?

Also, does anyone know what panel and controller is fitted with the factor fit option?

Appreciate views on the pros and cons, etc.

Thanks

Phil

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Are u up for some DIY and how are your skills - oh and are you brave enough to be putting a hole in the roof of your new beauty?
Answer no and I would say go with the factory fit but probably the most expensive for less watts. All the wiring will be neatly hidden away in the build process. Specify the most watts u can afford especially if it's got a compressor fridge. What you get will be whatever is in there stores but is likely to be good quality as they have to offer warranty.
Dealer fit you can specify exactly what u want although dealer will be trying to shift what he has in stock. Be careful u understand how they might fit/run the wiring. Nothing worse than unsightly wires or trunking visable inside.

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
We went for a factory fit on our Twin for the reasons above but only got a 80watt panel which I will upgrade in the future.The regulator is a nds sun control smc 300 which seems pretty good.We got ours in 2020.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We went for a factory fit on our Twin for the reasons above but only got a 80watt panel which I will upgrade in the future.The regulator is a nds sun control smc 300 which seems pretty good.We got ours in 2020.
What do they charge for factory fit?

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Now your asking.About 500 quid if I can recall but I got various packages and discounts on those.Getting the wiring into the build process was the main driver.

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
What I have been told is the van is prewired for Solar and the factory fit option is 120 w (with a 3kg weight) - Cost Ā£490. Dealer fit is heavier at 9 kg, but I don't know the wattage (and it costs more than factory fit).

Oh, BERNI109 - no I am not up to any DIY :LOL:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have the NDS Sun control regulator in our Carthago, fitted by the dealer along with 2 x 100w panels as part of our deal. The controller is about half the cost of the more well known Voltronic and Victron ones but does exactly the same job.

I wouldn't personally have a solar panel fitted by the factory or the dealer as both will be much more expensive options than getting it done independently, especially if going to a show etc as there are are often offers available. I've fitted my own in the past and it's not difficult at all, hiding the cabling on a PVC isn't difficult either as it can be run down behind the 'B' pillar cover quite easily.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, I have 640 Twin with factory panel. I went for factory fit for the neatness of cabling which is run behind panels and furniture. Would check which controller but itā€™s under drivers seat so would need to open the door to check, itā€™s chucking it down in Tarland just now.

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
Hi, I have 640 Twin with factory panel. I went for factory fit for the neatness of cabling which is run behind panels and furniture. Would check which controller but itā€™s under drivers seat so would need to open the door to check, itā€™s chucking it down in Tarland just now.
I can send an umbrella if it helps šŸ˜€

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
If it's a compressor fridge in the model your buying and you want to be off hookup for more than 24/36hrs then from my experience 120w is not going to hack it.
Dont think this necessarily applies in this case but as for the comment about it being pre rewired for solar:
1 can you find the ends of the wires?
2 are the cable sizes man enough to support mort than a 100w panel.
Hth someone.

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
If it's a compressor fridge in the model your buying and you want to be off hookup for more than 24/36hrs then from my experience 120w is not going to hack it.
Yes it will have a compressor fridge. Hmmm so if that is the case it rules out factory fit :confused:

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When I bought a Twin, the dealer fitted me a flexible panel and although it worked perfectly well I didnā€™t think the job was very neat. I could and have fitted my own previously and produced a neater job.
If you are a competent DIYer itā€™s easy. As for running a compressor fridge, I think it would struggle big time.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
2021 model 640
Factory fitted 120w panel and an NDS SC300M Sun control, Twin 100ah batteries

IMG_0388.jpeg

Dave_E

Free Member
Sep 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dont think this necessarily applies in this case but as for the comment about it being pre rewired for solar:
1 can you find the ends of the wires?
2 are the cable sizes man enough to support mort than a 100w panel.
Hth someone.
It is a compressor fridge so a b2b charger is a option worth considering.Various companies fit including Vanbitz if you decide it's for you.It comes from Adria as a cost option but if your having the auto gear box it comes already fitted

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
What I have been told is the van is prewired for Solar and the factory fit option is 120 w (with a 3kg weight)
A weight of 3 kg doesn't seem a lot for 120w panel, I'm fitting a 185w panel at the moment and it's 12kg.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A weight of 3 kg doesn't seem a lot for 120w panel, I'm fitting a 185w panel at the moment and it's 12kg.
If it's only 3kg they've either told you wrong and it should be 13kg or they're fitting semi-flexible panel.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
A question for those Adria owners here -

I have ordered a new Adria Twin Supreme 600 SPB and have a few weeks to confirm what options I want. I want a solar panel but is it best to go with the factory fit option or get the dealer to fit (or wait and go for a panel from another source)?

Also, does anyone know what panel and controller is fitted with the factor fit option?

Appreciate views on the pros and cons, etc.

Thanks

Phil
I used to have a Twin that I bought new
Ordered it with factory solar, purely so that it was all under the factory warranty for my peace of mind
I also ordered the larger fridge (140 litre) which is NOT on any pricelist, but mine was a 640 and not sure if available on 600
Extra dealer-fit leisure battery as well

Do you do much off grid?

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
If it's only 3kg they've either told you wrong and it should be 13kg or they're fitting semi-flexible panel.
Hmm they do list it as 3kg in the options spec; but will check with them to be sure - and to ask what they fit.

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
.It comes from Adria as a cost option but if your having the auto gear box it comes already fitted
Yes going for the auto box. Still to decide on the engine; standard 140 or up it to 160. Choices, choices, choices :giggle:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Not planning on too much off grid; 2 nights off grid will be the max in my thinking at the moment.
Well, with the factory solar, extra leisure battery and the large compressor fridge, we never had an issue with 3 x dull days off grid

You may be overthinking
Going forward a cheap ,lpg genny might be a ā€˜emergencyā€™ solution

Remember the fridge has a quiet/night time setting which uses little power, assuming you are not in and out of it multiple tomes after dinneršŸ‘

OP
OP
P

Phil89a

Free Member
Apr 22, 2021
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SPB
Exp
After having a very long chat with VanBitz (thanks Ash), their recommendation (given my planned usage) is forget the Solar Panel and go for the second battery. If I am stationary so long the battery is dipping, then run the engine for a while to top it up. If I find a need a solar panel later, add it then and save the money and weight until then. More food for thought (and overthinking fuel šŸ˜€)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You'll definitely need a second battery with a compressor fridge, however I'm surprised at Ash's comment regarding running the engine to top them up as this is usually frowned upon.

I think once you 'taste' being off grid you'll want to do it more and/or for longer periods so solar will become a necessity but not at present and can easily be added later.

As for the second battery, your dealer may be able to do this for you but if so make sure they are matching it with the existing one (don't just specify that they match each other). We had two dealers who removed the original and replaced it with others despite us stating we just wanted to add another matching the original, the first time we spotted it when we went to collect and they had to remove them and put in ones of the same quality as the original, the second dealer put in 2 new quality ones but unfortunately the charger wasn't set-up to work with them so they had to pay for 2 new ones and for them to be fitted locally.

Nearly forgot, engine size, 140 will be more than sufficient I'm sure.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back