Snapped gas pipe (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Bugger ! I've snapped the gas inlet pipe from my main valve to my Thetford oven inlet pipe. Anyone know where I can get a replacement ?
20180821_161741.jpg

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
As it is low pressure (after the regulator) you could make a temporary repair with gas hose and jubilee clips. I would expect any good gas fitter to be able to make a replacement as the ends are only olives.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As it is low pressure (after the regulator) you could make a temporary repair with gas hose and jubilee clips. I would expect any good gas fitter to be able to make a replacement as the ends are only olives.
Don’t you know what happened last time Phil tried to jubilee clip a pipe joint, luckily it wasn’t gas:LOL:

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Buy another piece of copper tube, it’s either 8 or 10 mm a couple of olives and re use the nuts :)

Last edited:

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
If it's to difficult for you Phil get Mena to fix it :)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
If it’s 8 mm copper by a new length and 2 new olives from a plumbers merchants and use the original nuts.

John.
You have nailed it! I'm off to a marina tomorrow to get pipe and fittings one of the olives is unique. The problem is caused by the pipe being so long so it's still connected when you pull the oven out. It's been in and out a few times over the years and a weak spot must have been created in one of the many bends and it's failed. Should be straight forward to replace and I'm hopeful when completed will be the last time i need to remove the oven for many years to come. Thanks one and all for your helpful advice. I just love the membership on this website.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you have a blow lamp and heat the pipe along its length to cherry red then quench it with water it will soften it and make it more flexible, until it age hardens again.

John.
I wouldn't do this, heating the pipe to cherry red you will get an oxidised layer of crud inside the pipe that will flake off and may block any jets or orifices further down the line.
In refrigeration and AC pipework (above a certain size) we have to purge with nitrogen to stop any oxidisation.

In the past I've put a big horizontal coil of copper pipe behind a fridge system that needs to be pulled out and it works great (y). Oh and that's with hundreds of psi in them, not 0.4 psi (y)

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks one and all. Replacement pipe and collets now in place. Thanks @tonka , you were right about that non-standard collet. However, the chap at the marine chanderly store took apart a brand new connector still in it's box as he knew what type of collet it was and gave it to me, (for a boat) and even put a bend in the new pipe for me.
Replacing was easy peasy and did the suds test to make sure I had a gas tight seal (y). £10.80 all in, :dance2::dance2::dance2:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
He swapped you an olive for a boat :Eeek:
You were done:doh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
How do you snap a copper pipe? (n)
It's called work hardening. If you buy a short length of 8mm copper pipe and bend it one way gently, then the other, you will find it gets harder and harder to bend and it will eventually crack and break. Other metals don't work harden in the same way and will just start splitting. Copper is nasty for this one.

What I suspect happened here is that they left a floppy bit floating in the air which had enough weight on it to cause flexing during motion, this caused work hardening and eventual breakage.
Copper pipes should never be left flapping and should always be fixed firmly in place. The other option is they were fixed firmly in place to two surfaces that do not remain static with respect to each other, in which case a flexible section should have been used at the part of the pipe to allow for this. Either bad design or bad installation.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
In the past I've put a big horizontal coil of copper pipe behind a fridge system that needs to be pulled out and it works great (y). Oh and that's with hundreds of psi in them, not 0.4 psi
This would work as well. Sorry missed it on first read of thread.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks one and all. Replacement pipe and collets now in place. Thanks @tonka , you were right about that non-standard collet. However, the chap at the marine chanderly store took apart a brand new connector still in it's box as he knew what type of collet it was and gave it to me, (for a boat) and even put a bend in the new pipe for me.
Replacing was easy peasy and did the suds test to make sure I had a gas tight seal (y). £10.80 all in, :dance2::dance2::dance2:

As much as I like any praise. Think this "thanks" is meant for someone else as I never commented. Glad your sorted anyway.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
It's called work hardening. If you buy a short length of 8mm copper pipe and bend it one way gently, then the other, you will find it gets harder and harder to bend and it will eventually crack and break. Other metals don't work harden in the same way and will just start splitting. Copper is nasty for this one.

What I suspect happened here is that they left a floppy bit floating in the air which had enough weight on it to cause flexing during motion, this caused work hardening and eventual breakage.
Copper pipes should never be left flapping and should always be fixed firmly in place. The other option is they were fixed firmly in place to two surfaces that do not remain static with respect to each other, in which case a flexible section should have been used at the part of the pipe to allow for this. Either bad design or bad installation.
Bang on ! Although I bought my motorhome from new, when they installed the oven the gap between the back of the oven and the external wall would be around 8 inches and the oven inlet pipe near the top of the oven encroaching that gap by about one inch. The oven sits on a shelf and below the shelf are the 3 main cut off valves. So the pipe has to more or less go from the main Valve connection under the self and then in a very big loop (anti-clockwise) so it can fit in the space between the cooker and the external wall and continue in a circle so it connects with the cooker inlet pipe which is pointing towards the floor of the motorhome. I figured out the big loop was so the oven could be pulled out with the pipe intact so a check can be made to ensure a gas tight seal is made. The only way possible !. The loop is free floating and over the years I have had the oven out umpteen times, replacing worn or damages parts. relocating sink as it's retaining clips had vibrated loose, (Morocco) waste pipe becoming loose, replacing sink seals, taps etc. and making sure I have no gas leaks and this has contributed to the demise of the gas pipe ,for certain. I'm now confident the sink will not need any attention again after I made a mod so the retaining clips cannot vibrate loose and fitted new seals pipes and taps and with the new gas pipework and collets am hopeful I will not need to pull the oven out for a few years at least. I now know how to change a gas pipe and it's cheap as chips. Another job completed and a little more knowledge learnt about my motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back