Slapping out an (opening /driveway) in my rear garden wall ( single brick 9 feet high (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
I am trying to figure out the comfortable/ minimum gate width required for parking a 20 foot long van inside the property which has a 20 foot wide lane at the rear of it.

Personal experience and opinions most welcome .

I am moving to an old Victorian semi-detached house

Leo

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I am trying to figure out the comfortable/ minimum gate width required for parking a 20 foot long van inside the property which has a 20 foot wide lane at the rear of it.

Leo

Is there a quiet carpark near you that you could take your van and chalk out the lane and gateway to see what would be viable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
you also need to consider the length of overhang from the rear axle as that will determine the arck the rearmost corner will take to clear any post, hedge etc.

asumming if you drive in you will reverse out or visa versa. unless you are able to turn around once inside and cleared the gate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
3 cabbages
May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
HI Guys, i cant turn around once in . probably reverse in because of the overhang !

I am trying to balance the opening width versus weight of timber gates!

My garden/boundary wall is 29 feet,

Leo

Sue and Rick

Free Member
Apr 20, 2022
Brighouse, UK
Funster No
MH
Autoquest 155 2016
Exp
Since 2020
What an interesting avatar.
Could you fit electric gate? Weight wont be an issue if you can run it on a track at the rear of the fence / wall

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
HI Guys, i cant turn around once in . probably reverse in because of the overhang !

I am trying to balance the opening width versus weight of timber gates!

My garden/boundary wall is 29 feet,

Leo

i have a hammer head in my drive which i reverse into ( passenger side inside the turning arc ) and park up; i then drive out the oposite way turning to the right.
its a 90' tight turn so more restricted than your 20 feet road width. If you want i will measure up tommorrow for you. it wont be exactly the same but might give you a good steer.
our van is 7.46m ( 24ft ) long.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wheelbase will be the biggest determining factor we are only a 7.5m van but a 4.4m wheelbase. We couldn't get into another Funsters drive in Spain due to our wheelbase but he'd gets his slightly shorter Hymer in easily.

Plan for the biggest van you are ever lightly to get, no point in making it suitable for your currennt van then in a few years you get a bigger van and you can't get it in.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Walking the dog the other day I came across a little traffic mayhem on a local road. An articulated lorry with half a house on it was stuck trying to turn in to a local industrial estate. Over the sound of disc cutters and choice language I cheerfully commented to one the guys busily trying to remove steel security fencing and gate posts so that the lorry could complete its turn was "is this a case of measure first, drive later?" to which he replied"Nah. we measured up and the lorry and load will fit through the gates. What we didn't do was estimate the space needed to make the turn . . . . " He didn't punch me.

So, the moral of this is that possibly you could need more than a gap of the right width to get your van through, you may need to create wider entrance to your gate by giving up a bit of land to 'recess' the gate and have a wider drive on the road side to enable you to swing in. Just a thought.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate

Leo
Your rear garden & access dimensions sound identical to mine. A minimum of 10ft/3 metres gate width is highly recommended.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Remember to factor in that whatever size gates you decide on, the gap will be reduced by the thickness of the post and hinges. A sliding gate, as previously mentioned, may be better.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a 7.5 mtr A class to get to our garage the lane averages 3.6 to 3.8 wide at the narrowest point just where I have to turn to get in the garage. The garage is set back 1.4 mtr from the lane, the garage entrance is 5.4 mtr wide it fits by reversing in tight but manageable.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
1711276321035.jpeg

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
We amused our neighbours prior to buying our first MoHo by constructing a wooden framework with correct length, width, overhand and most importantly for us...the height off the ground of the overhang for our steep driveway. We had concrete gateposts that were c 12ft 6" apart, then a 2" timber inner face and the gates then attached which had a width of 12ft. We shhuffled about with the huge ungainly contraption and sussed that we had sufficient ground clearance and also "managed" with the gate width. (We have since knocked down the concrete posts and widened the gateway by about 18" to prevent one of those embarassing van/concrete interfaces at 11pm in the pitch black)
As Phil mentions...overhang is an important consideration as is the turning circle of the van.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Wheelbase will be the biggest determining factor we are only a 7.5m van but a 4.4m wheelbase. We couldn't get into another Funsters drive in Spain due to our wheelbase but he'd gets his slightly shorter Hymer in easily.

Plan for the biggest van you are ever lightly to get, no point in making it suitable for your currennt van then in a few years you get a bigger van and you can't get it in.
my ears burning again !

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975

Leo
Personally, I would be looking for the maximum width possible until you have had a few practices.
So much depends on length, overhang, turning circle etc. and, of course, experience.
Not forgetting to future proof any other vehicles you may buy?

IMO, the best suggestion yet is the one with the empty carpark and some chalk.
Good Luck! 👍

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Any limitations on the front end ? Our now longer van just gets onto the drive but the main trick is skimming the front vs what’s on the opposite side of the wall. Measure well, think hard and then add some more space for those bad days😋

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Don't forget to price up the gate, it might be cheaper to work out the minimum width, add half a yard either side as a minimum and then look at what gates are available. You might find getting a bigger gate than you need is actually a better option due to price as you might pick one up 'pre loved' rather than getting one made to the size you have decided you need ...

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
40 years ago I put up a 6ft 6" x10ft wide gate with a 3ft wide gate on the other side so 13ft opening. It's still standing
My point here is that made right, timber can span at least the 10 ft that my main gate is, so two timber gates could span 20ft or more.
A single brick wall wouldn't hold this weight and would have to have a pillar added.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Strange. I posted a reply to # 19 and it's disappeared. No words, just a photo to compare with the photo of that in #19.
My number plate was blacked out.:unsure:

OP
OP
3 cabbages
May 29, 2017
Ayr,Scotland
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
virgin
I am delighted with forum response/posts.

I don't get access to the property until 19th April ,after which, I will post an update

Leo

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Uh...that's a bit confusing. I have one comment on here and another comment on the other thread.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think I would if possible get gates as wide as you can and enhance the entrance with with a small bell mouth outside the gates if possible to give you more space to manoeuvre 😊👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back