Simple campsites (1 Viewer)

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
i like the different titled folder in this section however still finding my feet in the forums, so wonder if anyone might assist?

I like sites but I find £20 pus per night a-bit much and wonder if I was able to visit all the uk places by recommendations of small family, farm type spots etc

I only need EHU and water and things like posh shower blocks and club houses not really essential for me.

I’d love to develop a way to find these smaller and cheaper places to enable more time away!

Welcome suggestions from all. I'm now in my 3rd year of ‘van life’ and sites just a bit of muchness and in my view a big spend for what I get from them personally. But still good for some trips ie longer stats etc

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
i like the different titled folder in this section however still finding my feet in the forums, so wonder if anyone might assist?

I like sites but I find £20 pus per night a-bit much and wonder if I was able to visit all the uk places by recommendations of small family, farm type spots etc

I only need EHU and water and things like posh shower blocks and club houses not really essential for me.

I’d love to develop a way to find these smaller and cheaper places to enable more time away!

Welcome suggestions from all. I'm now in my 3rd year of ‘van life’ and sites just a bit of muchness and in my view a big spend for what I get from them personally. But still good for some trips ie longer stats etc
Don't know how you feel about joining the clubs but they have a network of cheaper sites. Folks on here also talk about Britstops so that could be an option too.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Wanting EHU. that's your problem.
Do you not have extra batteries and solar ? That way you can stay on the cheaper CL / CS sites or use the many club rallies and holiday sites (y).

Apart from Fun we are only in the Camping and caravan club, done some great rally meets and all less than £10 a night. We travel as 2 adults and 2 grandkids so great value.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
There are many small farm sites listed by C&MC as Certified Sites and C&CC as Certified Locations. The cheaper ones will lack ehu but all will have water and chemical disposal. Some of them offer shower and toilet facilities but these are likely to be reflected in higher prices. The costs of providing ehus and the cost of the electricity pushes prices up significantly so you might need to consider sacrificing this facility if you want cheaper camping.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Join the Camping & Caravan Club and stay on CS sites and utilise THS sites when in expensive areas up an down the country.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Unfortunately the two big clubs have it sewn up between them but they do have some good 5 van sites. You have to pay to belong to the club.
The 5 van sites are CL or CS.
There are some ‘private’ 5 van sites.
You will get water, dumping and EHU, although you can still find the odd one here & there that don’t have EHU.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would join the C &MH club and stay on cls. Fell out with CCC when we visited a CS which had about 12 vans pitched cheek by jowl on effectively a large back garden !! (we also use the Edinburgh site a few times each year to visit our son). Why not look at search for sites it lists them all and prices you can look at areas you fancy and decide which to join or try them both for a year. Theres also the free pubstops map on this site could try a few of those and theres britstops but unlikely to get a hook up and when we were in it it wasn't that cheap as we felt we ought to buy stuff to support the owners of the stops. Another option is go to France lots of places to stay at low prices. I think as others have suggested you might get a much wider choice if you go without hook ups to get the type of pitch at the price you want.

OP
OP
Alfie159

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Wanting EHU. that's your problem.
Do you not have extra batteries and solar ? That way you can stay on the cheaper CL / CS sites or use the many club rallies and holiday sites (y).

Apart from Fun we are only in the Camping and caravan club, done some great rally meets and all less than £10 a night. We travel as 2 adults and 2 grandkids so great value.

I have started looking at Rallies but dare I say it , it’s a lot of couples (with only a small smattering) of solos like me. I’m not shy by any means but a world surrounded by couples can get abut much :) I know everyone would be super welcoming but it’s not always ideal.

I’m pretty planned out until late summer but perhaps I’ll look around Sept a meet near me, and yes spotted great value too !

Sorry to add EHU is just easier and reliable for my needs, not very technical minded im afraid

OP
OP
Alfie159

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Great ideas all and good for thought ! I guess having some cheaper spots to visits would make more trips possible and I’d still use some of the larger sites when needed.

Trying to get a bit savvy but I’ll certainly look at the 2 big clubs and I know joint 1 will at least save me annually overall

Thanks all very much

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have started looking at Rallies but dare I say it , it’s a lot of couples (with only a small smattering) of solos like me. I’m not shy by any means but a world surrounded by couples can get abut much :) I know everyone would be super welcoming but it’s not always ideal.

I’m pretty planned out until late summer but perhaps I’ll look around Sept a meet near me, and yes spotted great value too !

Sorry to add EHU is just easier and reliable for my needs, not very technical minded im afraid

If you ever get to some of the Fun meets I know you will be made very welcome, there are many solo travellers that join us. You can mix or have time to yourself what ever suits. It's a great time to chat to others and find out about the things you maybe don't understand like solar and managing without EHU. You can learn a lot over a beer or coffee.

OP
OP
Alfie159

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Aiming for September meet nearby if I can @tonka ;) few trips plotted incl Scotland and a reggae festive in Amsterdam and another in London in a few weeks !

I’m constantly plotting new adventures and challenges ha ha

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Many pubs have small sites attached at around a tenner a night, there is a google map called pub stops which has the pubs which are free (not many facilities) and the ones that have a small site (more facilities) that charge. On the map there is a different coloured beer glass for the ones that charge. (https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...U&ll=55.58101264861304,0.9403578308896385&z=6) I use this more that anything when in uk, in fact I’m on a small pub site now, it’s just a shame I don’t like pubs:whistle:
Also park4night, camper contact and as @canopus says the C&CC CS network and THS is very useful, Haven out of season is very cheap too,

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Just to add to the above, without wishing to promote any arguments from the people who think everything should be free! If you use a free pub stop, please use the pub to have a drink or a meal, this way they will continue to let us use their car parks for our convenience(y)

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
As the big clubs charge for the unit and per person, it often works out cheaper for a solo to use the main sites when compared to Cl/Cs.
It would be unusual for me to have to pay more than £15/night for the club sites.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back