Silver screens....do we really need them? (1 Viewer)

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
essential, no, but since we got ours, they have been used all the time over the winter. more spacious inside without the curtains closed. well worth it in my view.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Well worth the money and effort in my opinion.

We get no condensation on the A class even in minus temperatures. Don't bother with them in summer though, we just use the internal blinds.

Probably not a good idea to put them on if wilding though, as might be tricky to make a quick exit if you need to!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My two penny worth....

Wait and see if you need them...

I read lots of opinions and thought I'd need them - when researching prior to getting my first Moho ...

However, coming up to two years on - and the last 11 months full time in the UK... I can say for me... they have not been necessary...

I do not seem to suffer windscreen condensation mostly!.. I think there has been a couple of occasions when my lads have stayed in van and the weather has been naff (rain and damp etc).. the screen has been misty... but not dripping...

I use a steamer most evenings... shower etc... but don't seem to suffer..

I have an A class with internal concertina cloth-type blinds... but a huge screen... but I do vent when cooking, showering etc.. and point the front of moho to catch the morning sun (winter time).. when I can.. free heat ;)

Ps.. I do have an hydrometer... that I keep an eye on ;)

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Got the Silver Screens, brilliant bit of kit. If wet after easy take off, just pop em in the shower, water runs away, take out when home and let dry. Pop back in supplied, more than adequate bag, no problem.
Ray

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We use ours all year round. Stops condensation in winter, keeps the van cooler in summer. Silver Screen for us. If we are on the move daily in summer, would probably just use the internal ones for overnight stops. Stayed at the NEC for the show last week and used on the Tuesday night, no condensation, went on a CL for Wednesday night but as raining gave the screen a miss. Following morning, screen full of condensation although a warmer night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Love ours! As said before, useful in cold and hot weather. Yes a faff if wet but we sling it in the shower when we move off and put it back on at next site or dry it out at home. No probs

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Definitely well worth the money, however we do go away nearly every weekend throughout the year so get our monies worth
They take about a minute to put on, even bladered they only take 2 minutes, and no fannying about in the morning clearing up condensation

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Worth every penny we use ours summer and winter it does everything as previous posts and with a privacy screen you can see out as well

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Didn't see the statement as aggressive, it was, I thought, a scientific, logical statement. A dictionary defines Essential thus "The definition of essential is completely necessary or part of the basic nature of something".

Would you, in your opinion, contest the dictionary ?
By that definition all that would be essential for motorhoming is a transit van and a bucket to s**t in.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Always use ours in the winter. Sometimes give it a miss in the summer. If you do decide to purchase one then get one with a pull down panel at the front - means you don't have to remove the whole screen every day.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Not essential in my opinion. I have had them in the past when there have been no reflective blinds fitted to the MH, but in my last two A-class I have not had them.
They are good for reflecting the heat of the sun but so are the internal blinds. I never found them particularly useful for condensation as if its warm damp and badly ventilated there will be condensation somewhere, if not on the windscreen it will be somewhere else, possibly worse. At least condensation on the windscreen is visible and easily removed.
If heating and ventilation are adequate, condensation won't be a problem.
External silver screens do get wet and are quite bulky to store especially if you have a large windscreen. They also can't be rapidly removed if you need to move off in a hurry.
I would only buy them if really necessary for your particular motorhome, with my current one I would find them more of an irritation than a benefit.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Just sold mine and bought a window vac, which says something! I found they were too much of a pain to take on and off, one more (bulky) thing to carry and they're always wet in the morning when you want to take them off. Some folks love'em though.

Essential? No. Personally, I'd try the van for a couple of outings and see if you find it cold or the condensation is excessive first. You can always buy some then.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Partly depends on the layout I expect. My coachbuilt has a sliding, locking wooden door which closes the cab off from the habitation area. So never felt the need for screens.

Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
Another Silverscreen convert here.. example : we used our SS whilst in the Limousin this past week.. temperatures ranging from -1 to plus 9 overnight.. No condensation inside at all whatsoever..

Spent 1 night in Vierzon, and decided to leave the screen off.. 3 degrees.. Wake up to a bloody screen dripping with condensation and side windows too..

Spent 1 night at Cite Europe at the EuroTunnel terminal, screen on, wake up to a clear screen..

One of the best buys I've bought for our MH..

Just my 2ps/worth..

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Will not use "essential" to avoid the pendantic police. Use the van all year round try Scotland in winter and sub zero nightime temps or hot weather in Spain, essential piece of kit for this Funster. First thing I bought for our new van in January it's an A class so Silver Screens at £300 a pop are not cheap, but Northern Spain mid January they were a damn good investment helping insulate the interior and killing any condensation, we also have a Karcher window vac, brilliant but not a replacement for Screens. Comments re packing wet screens again we don't seem to have a problem, they are relatively light in weight, impervious to moisture and a good shake removes a lot of it also the storage bags are lightweight and waterproof. I use a silicone blade thingy from Halfords to wick of the worst of the water, works well though frozen snow is another matter. As said earlier the OP has really answered his own question, each to their own but a definite essential for me.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
You don't have to buy new. We bought sets for our current and past van second hand. First set from Jaws on here and current ones off #bay. We have a 2015 X290 but the S'S ones for the X250 fit well enough and just over half the price at £85 delivered. Not essential but helpful especially in hot sunny weather.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just waiting for new van to arrive and made a list of things to buy.Yet again silver screens are one of them at around £150 ish.We don't often bother putting them on in the summer months which leads me to ask,are they really an ESSENTIAL bit of kit?

I use them in summer in Spain and France to keep van interior cool,,,and in winter for condensation and insulation. Essential piece of kit for me,,BUSBY,,

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Well they are not exactly essential, but for comfort in both hot and cold weather I would not be without them.

We use them most of the time as trying to get rid of the condensation in cold weather is a real pain, and I have a karchner vac!

Do get the type that you can roll down the front as it is usefull to see out during the day.
Also if I had to buy another one I would buy the one that covered the air outlets, better for cold use.

I would defiantly buy another

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
In particular when no screens are used does anyone ever wonder where the excess condensed water ends up that's already run down the inside of the windscreen overnight ?
A while back a friend asked me to remove his 2012 motorhome radio, the photos show the condition of the radio mounting cage and the plastic panel above the radio enclosure, not good !
I often wonder if the common failure of the instrument panel is due to damp as well as the poor build quality of the unit.

111.JPG 113.JPG

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Possibly depends on type of motorhome. My last two have been A Class with decent blinds. Condensation not a problem with adequate ventilation. I did have them on the last couple of coachbuilts as the uninsulated cab area is a magnet for condensation.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I bought a screen cover from Taylor Made at the Peterborough Show. Well worth the £141 if you ask me (no funster discount though :().

They seem good quality and are that bit longer so they cover the wipers too.

Paul

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We use ours, during the winter we tend to leave them on when parked on the drive and curtains drawn. Never seem to have condensation. Works for us. When traveling we use them when on campsites. If on aires we use our internal blinds.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We use them all the time on the A class we have now but I hope we will not need them on the new van as we have gone for the artic pack.

Heated front windscreen , double glazed side windows in the cab and the cab is linked into hab heating system we will still keep the window vax just incase

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have one for sale if anyone is interested. It fits any coach built, only selling as we changed to an A class.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Has anyone tried these from fuel lagoon,sorry don't know how to give link just google it . I would of thought that it would be possible to have a cover that folds up like the one I have given above with thermal qualities ,like the material they rap runners in after the marathon .

SOS

Aug 10, 2014
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 1R
Exp
Since 2014
We wouldn't be without ours. How about looking around for some second hand ones? We got second hand taylor made ones for £40! At least then if you don't use them often it hasn't cost you too much.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I wouldn't buy the Fiamma ones.
I did.Very stiff and heavy. They don't secure to the vehicle well at all and will blow off as they are not properly secured to the doors. Just a small 'pocket' to cover the top door corner and magnets for the bottom. Didn't survive the first windy day. Took them off as I thought the magnets would damage the bodywork when flapping around.
regards
Nik

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back