Silver screens....do we really need them? (1 Viewer)

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Just waiting for new van to arrive and made a list of things to buy.Yet again silver screens are one of them at around £150 ish.We don't often bother putting them on in the summer months which leads me to ask,are they really an ESSENTIAL bit of kit?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
noe essential, but very good for insulation of the cab area at night and also to dramatically reduce the amount of condensation on the inside of the screen in the morning. A marcher window vac is the cheaper option if extra insulation is not a requirement

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Just waiting for new van to arrive and made a list of things to buy.Yet again silver screens are one of them at around £150 ish.We don't often bother putting them on in the summer months which leads me to ask,are they really an ESSENTIAL bit of kit?
You've answered your own question there. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If they were ESSENTIAL then everyone, without exception, would have them. Many people don't have them and get by. Therefore they are NOT essential.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
If they were ESSENTIAL then everyone, without exception, would have them. Many people don't have them and get by. Therefore they are NOT essential.
tad agressive, your opinion(n) the words get by, says it all.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I had them on my last van, but didn't buy them for my current van because I got fed up of having to remove and store cold, dripping wet screen covers, whenever I wanted to drive off in the morning.
In my opinion they are not essential - especially if you've got decent heating and a window vax.
Much quicker, cleaner and easier.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Didn't see the statement as aggressive, it was, I thought, a scientific, logical statement. A dictionary defines Essential thus "The definition of essential is completely necessary or part of the basic nature of something".

Would you, in your opinion, contest the dictionary ?

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
Didn't see the statement as aggressive, it was, I thought, a scientific, logical statement. A dictionary defines Essential thus "The definition of essential is completely necessary or part of the basic nature of something".

Would you, in your opinion, contest the dictionary ?
Trust me, you would not want my opinion.;)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In one motorhome we owned, along with three kids and a dog, they were absolutely essential, unless you prefer literally litres of condensed water sitting among all your electrics. The silver screen stopped it condensing there at least.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
If you're going somewhere cold (ice n snow) then yes.. essential (imho). In the summer in southern europe they are great at keeping the temp down. As for moving them when wet. If they're damp we put them in their bag to the next stop. If dripping then they stand in the shower tray between stops.
A very useful asset.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I soon bought a set after spending half an hour one morning trying to dry the dashboard out after a cold and very rainy night. How it didn't get into the electrics I will never know.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would say they were essential if you wanted to keep condensation at bay in the winter and the heat out in the summer. We had them on our Autosleeper but now we use either internal screens on their own or with the cab curtains if it's very cold.
Using the cab curtains on their own considerably reduces condensation but doesn't keep you as warm.
External screens stop condensation altogether and we will be buying some for our latest van soon
So, in my opinion, essential, whatever the dictionary says.......

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you'd seen me naked you would buy me some :Eeek:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Hardly ever use mine,curtains at the front much easier,screens are ok,but remembet in the summer,covered in bugs and the winter,trying removing them.and folding away in the pouring rain is a pain

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
A couple of years ago I bought 2 very thin insulated car tall windscreen covers from Aldi/Lidl for approx £1.99 each. I joined them together and they easily cover my Aclass screen, held in place by the wipers parked in "up" and a couple of bungee cords fastened round the mirrors.

How effective they are I cannot say, but they probably do help to keep the van "warm" during the winter and take up very little space in the ski locker when not in use.

Gordon

D

DL42846

Deleted User

Depends on how you use your motor home.
In winter time they keep condensation down and help keep the heat in thereby reducing your gas consumption and battery consumption.
In summer time they help keep the heat out and keep the van cooler. Thereby the fridge works more efficiently.

I ran for several months without one but one cold trip to Cologne convinced me to get one. You could feel the cold air coming in from the windscreen, even with all the dash vents closed and the heating seemed to be going all the time. Burned through a lot of gas.
In summer time in the south of France when temperatures can get hot they stop the sun burning your dash and upholstery.
You can manage without one but its a lot more convenient/comfortable to have one.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a halfway-house external screen from a company called Cover Systems*; BUT the website isn't working now - doh! Instead of being a big bulky quilted cover, it's a heavy duty single skin cover with silver on one side. Lightweight - easy to fit - compact when folded - fits easily in the door pocket - but still provides a surprising amount of insulation. And will protect against the sun in summer. Oh, and it cost about £55 delivered, if I remember correctly.

Link Removed

Don't know if the company has disappeared or just the website down. We purchased about six months ago and have found the cover ideal during winter. Ours is tailor-made for the X290, fits well and was delivered quickly. Be a shame if they have gone.

No condensation on the cab windows for us. (y)

*Just been out to the van to check the manufacturer:

Cover Systems, 49 Grove Rd, Rushden NN10 0YD
Broken Link Removed: 01933 410851

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Really does depend on your van and your use. If you go skiing you need them whatever type of van. Our last van was a CB with a Fiat cab use to use them a lot made the cab warmer and no condensation. Current A Class spent nearly £300 on screens I think we have used them for 2 nights with heating between the blinds and the screen we only get condensation when we pull the blinds back, not going to bother with the new van.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years

@Ovalball - so there you have it! Ask a question and you'll get lots of answers many of which differ but then that's what makes it interesting. We all have different opinions.

Do come back and tell us if you spent that £150 - and on what.
:)

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
For myself essential .great in winter and as for summer .have you ever watched you dashboard melting in the high temperatures in Europe when it's what we call extra hot .well worth the investment lol

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I got a roll of this:-

Broken Link Removed

And cut it to fit the Front and side windows on the Winnebago, It kept the heat out to the extent that the Air con could cope with 90% humidity @ +100F?. Surprisingly it also helped when we where at 12,000feet Camping on the "Great Divide" in 22F (about -5C). Rolled up it was very light to handle and occupied about a Foot by 4ft length in the locker. And did reduce condensation some.

Never seen it in the UK, though. Pity really as its a very good product and can be cut with scissors.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Wouldn't be without ours...

We think they are fantastic. Warm in winter, cool in summer, never any condensation.

OK so they get wet.. turn them into themselves and pop them in the bag. Next time you use them, they dry off properly. (Admittedly we have a heated locker, but on our previous van without the heated locker we had no problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back