Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
We're still very new to this and have had one short trip away when it was quite cold - so we had condensation aplenty on the windscreen in the morning. We've booked to be away in Oxfordshire for Christmas, so I'm now thinking that we need insulated silver screens for the MH. Having read about cold draughts, I think we want the ones that cover the vents. Are there any preferred makes or designs? We're a 2011 Ducato coachbuilt. Many thanks!

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Karcher window vac. If you cook inside or breathe you will get condensation, such is life, karcher it up and start again!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Karcher window vac. If you cook inside or breathe you will get condensation, such is life, karcher it up and start again!
Yes, thinking about that too but does it reach right down to the dash?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Inside ones are dry in the morning outside ones could be wet from frost or snow if you are talking about the outside heater vents then make your own and put them in the shower tray to dry

Upvote 0

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
We're still very new to this and have had one short trip away when it was quite cold - so we had condensation aplenty on the windscreen in the morning. We've booked to be away in Oxfordshire for Christmas, so I'm now thinking that we need insulated silver screens for the MH. Having read about cold draughts, I think we want the ones that cover the vents. Are there any preferred makes or designs? We're a 2011 Ducato coachbuilt. Many thanks!
We had a 2011 Fiat Ducato and used Silver Screens, never had any problems with condensation. We have sold our Motorhome so I was about to list this in the Classified
pm me if your interested

Attachments

• 48964964-B1E2-4EAA-A50C-8D9C4322656C.jpeg
    48964964-B1E2-4EAA-A50C-8D9C4322656C.jpeg
    243.7 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We bought an external silver one in France, the first winter we drove through freezing France to Spain. We were amazed how effective it was. Firstly, it acted as good insulation against heat going through the windscreen. Secondly, there was almost no condensation on the windscreen where before we had to mop up each morning.
The third benefit is that we put it up in summer and it keeps the van cool and you can peel the cover half way down, when in place allowing you to look out.
One of our better buy accessories!

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Swear by our silver screens ... only time we’ve had condensation was when we thought we’d chance it without them ... used February in north east Scotland and northern France in October ..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
We had a 2011 Fiat Ducato and used Silver Screens, never had any problems with condensation. We have sold our Motorhome so I was about to list this in the Classified
pm me if your interested
Thanks but I think we probably want a set that cover the air vents. What make are yours?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks but I think we probably want a set that cover the air vents. What make are yours?
You can easily add a strip of material at the bottom to cover the vents, that part doesn't need to be thick insulation as it's just there to stop any possible draughts coming in.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Popular choices starting with the original http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/ - you have to call to order & one of the most expensive (around ÂŁ180?) but great reputation & normally swift delivery. Sometimes they list "seconds" on eBay at a cheaper price & reported to have no visible faults. They do long ones as well as standard length & optional extra mesh front panel & full mesh.
https://rainbowscreens.co.uk/ - look a bit gimmicky with their trademark eyes versions but they do plain silver screens too but again expensive & not sure if long version is a standard option.
https://taylormade-covers.co.uk/ - almost as popular as the first option but quite a bit cheaper - availability can be limited & delivery can be several weeks at times. Long length & front mesh are options. On motorhoming groups on Facebook long delays for orders are being reported at present.
http://www.minsterproducts.co.uk/Polar.htm - well priced & ÂŁ10 cheaper again at Shows. Long length, front mesh & full mesh available. We have their full mesh screen covers for summer & so far they are very good & great value - our only concern is how durable they will be.
Other makes like Soplair, Hindermann etc are available but limited feedback on these.
Look out for secondhand versions on here or place a wanted ad in the Classifieds https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/general-classifieds.299/ & you might be lucky.

Internal universal silver screens are handy if no Remis front blinds & you are staying somewhere that you might want to leave without going outside if wild camping or on some aires but not as good insulation wise as the external ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If you have standard length screen covers & want to cover the vents - think there is a Funster who used to make & sell magnetic vent covers - will do a search but maybe someone can advise?

Upvote 0

Ed 57

Free Member
Jan 10, 2018
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1987 but Still learning
An external silver screen works well in both winter and summer with no condensation.
But would not recommend using in very strong winds as however you secure them they flap and bang against window.

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Ours are the silverscreens ones that Wombles has given you the link for.
we have the standard length as easy to store in our PVC and are happy with our choice.
but others prefer long ones to cover the vents.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours are the silverscreens ones that Wombles has given you the link for.
we have the standard length as easy to store in our PVC and are happy with our choice.
but others prefer long ones to cover the vents.
We had the long ones for our previous camper and whilst good it's surprising just how much bulkier they are with the extra length for the vents.

Upvote 0
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
If you have standard length screen covers & want to cover the vents - think there is a Funster who used to make & sell magnetic vent covers - will do a search but maybe someone can advise?
I'm the guy who makes and sells the bonnet covers. I'll post an add on classifieds. I'm still selling them for charity.

Upvote 0

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Paragon Silver screens= No Condensation on the inside of the screen.Perfect fit.Top-quality.

Upvote 0

SteveJulesMontycame2

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Touring Europe
Funster No
MH
Semi integrated <8m
We have Hindermann Mat Lux; bought in Germany last autumn but are available from uk. Thick insulated external covers, cool in summer, warm in winter and no condensation. Light weight and fold away easily. Easy to fit and remove. Unbelievable transformation to the inside temperature and condensation, especially in colder weather or climates. They don’t flap in the wind due to elastic tie down straps. Has drop down panel with privacy mesh on windscreen for opening in daytime. Cover air vents and no drafts. Can be extended to cover down to bumper if going really cold. Also been brilliant for keeping us cool whilst we’re in Spain!
Catalogue

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Go for the external silver screens, you may still get some condensation but that will depend on steam from cooking & ventilation!

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
An external silver screen works well in both winter and summer with no condensation.
But would not recommend using in very strong winds as however you secure them they flap and bang against window.
I have had my Taylormade ones for over 7 years, they are extra long and cover the vents, and don't result in any condensation. They also gave me some straps to hold the screen bottom down in high winds and these are effective. You can see the straps on the 3rd pic on this link. I have been very pleased with them, but as another person has commented the one drawback is having to load them in the van when they are wet. It's possible, just not very easy. According to another post the company is having supply problems at present due to demand and personal injuries so if you want them phone quickly..

Upvote 0

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
I bought ones from Silverscreens and then found out from a post on here that the company have an e bay site and sell unused returns for ÂŁ50 less.........just my luck that :cry:

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
In cold weather, the external Silverscreen keeps us snug and prevents condensation. Foldng it up wet means remembering to dry it out later. No biggie.

In warm weather we don't bother with the external screen except if the van sits in the full hot sun all day. The van will heat up anyway, so I'm not sure that there is much advantage over just the Remis cab blinds. Opening the back and side doors provides a 100% fresh air change and restores living comfort in just a few seconds. Yay for PVCs.

Haven't had any noticeable draughts in our PVC even in stormy weather.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back