Shuflo water pump advice required please (1 Viewer)

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
Ok then water pump has been playing up for a while now. In that you open the tap and sometimes you get water and sometimes you don’t ( tap is pressure activated)
I can see the pump light flickering on the control panel as if it’s trying to pump.
Now if I open the tap go outside the van and hit the side of the van where the water pump is mounted it bursts into life and I have water gushing out of the tap.It would be really great if I could get to the 60 odd litres I know I’ve got in the tank.

I have been living in a hospital car park since New Year’s Day because my wife is gravely I’ll with secondary breast cancer problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers for now Gray.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Sorry to hear about your wife and the water pump. Which hospital are you at, sorry can't help with what's wrong but I have a spare here which you could try,
Wirral area.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Gray

First things first best wishes to your wife and hope everything goes OK for her.

OK now your pump, so its supposed to automatically come on when you open a tap and the pressure drops, there is a pressure switch on the end of the pump that controls this so that could be faulty or it could be that the motor is getting lazy at starting.

How old is the pump and is it Easy enough to get to.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sorry to hear of your predicaments. Let's hope we can get your water up and running quickly.

My first thought is the pressure switch. The switch element of this device opens it's contacts when the pressure reaches the set value (often set using a little adjuster thumbwheel on the top of the switch). When the pressure drops as a result of you opening a tap, switch closes it's contacts and the pump will run. If the contact will only close when you bang on the wall (pump), it suggests to me that the switch mechanism is sticking and needs replacing. On some systems, the switch is integrated into the pump, in which case you may need to replace the complete pump.

What make/model/age is your motorhome? Is there a dealer nearby you who could help?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Can you not get to your pump from the inside? Apart from the inconvenience of popping outside (in the cold/wet/dark) you'll need to get to it to sort it out and a picture would be useful.
In my experience, it has been the pressure switch when the pump misbehaves in the way you describe.
The simplest solution would be to replace it, but it might be possible to adjust the pressures at which it switches on and off - hence my interest to see what you have.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Ok then water pump has been playing up for a while now. In that you open the tap and sometimes you get water and sometimes you don’t ( tap is pressure activated)
I can see the pump light flickering on the control panel as if it’s trying to pump.
Now if I open the tap go outside the van and hit the side of the van where the water pump is mounted it bursts into life and I have water gushing out of the tap.It would be really great if I could get to the 60 odd litres I know I’ve got in the tank.

I have been living in a hospital car park since New Year’s Day because my wife is gravely I’ll with secondary breast cancer problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers for now Gray.
Hi
best wishes to the wife....

Not sure why the pump light should flash unless the battery voltage is going down when the pump runs
check the battery is fully charged and then watch the volt meter in the van as the pump operates

I suspect the battery might be low?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sounds like a poor/loose wire connection on the pump.
If you can access the pump try pulling off and replacing each wire in turn a few times to clean the spade connector.

OP
OP
Gray B

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
Thanx guys for your replies.
2 x 115 amp batteries pretty much fully charged.
10 year old Autosleeper Topaz original pump I would think.
Has to be accessed outside the van after lifting tail gate and removing a wood panel.
You can then see the pump.BUT this is where the fun starts you need to be a gynaecologist to access it !
Looks like they screwed the pump to the side of the van on some supporting struts - then built a shower / toilet around it.
I think it’s quite possible your right about the pressure switch thingy.
I guess I will have to fit a new one sometime but at the moment it will be a case of finding the time, having some nice weather and being in the mood.( if you know what I mean)
At the moment it’s just not on and I think I might have to resort to bottled water.
Thanx again Gray.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you can get to the adjuster on the pressure switch, assuming it has one try turning it down a touch and see it plays ball. Nothing to loose and all to gain.

Martin

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Rather than bang on the wall in the general area of the pump, I'd try getting closer and tap individual parts to determine which bit is misbehaving. It may, at least, confirm that it is the pressure switch rather than a bad contact elsewhere. Just looking may not tell you much.
In the meantime, I'd get a container in, so that I could get by without an external adventure each time I needed water.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
have a look at this:- http://shurflo.com/images/files/RV_Product_Manuals/Fresh-Water-Pumps/911-1024.pdf It will be very similar to your pump (its a US website ) But will give you the general idea. Some parts can be obtained. But the cost of a new one used to be around the £60 mark.

This is what I got when I googled it. Broken Link Removed

Where are you located? I have parts for several of these kicking about in my Garage.

I suspect the issue will turn out to be the Pressure switch. But check the connections first.
I have also had the Brushes wear out.? they can be replaced.

Last edited:

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Sorry to read about your wife , i hope things improve soon.
As for your pump , it never ceases to amaze me at motor home designers , have they never heard of the word maintenance when deciding where such things as water pumps etc are located.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
personally, given the other stress in your life, i would replace the entire pump. then at a later date repair the faulty one and keep as a spare
sorry to hear about your wife, wishing you all the best

OP
OP
Gray B

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
A big thank you for all your advice.
When I can motivate myself I will start trying some of your suggestions- But we have a full day of Chemo today and I am kept very busy here in the Oncology hospital ward where my wife is.
Real eye opener how the NHS works ( or doesn’t work) They could Just fix it with better Organization and better communication.
But I guess that will never happen.
I could write a book on my experiences so far (22days)

Cheers for now Gray.

OP
OP
Gray B

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010
Ohhhhhhh! Location wild camping in Worcester Royal hospital car park.

OP
OP
Gray B

Gray B

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Evesham
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Topaz
Exp
Since 2010