Should I upgrade headlight bulbs (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
I dont often drive my motorhome at night, but recently I noticed that the headlights were not very bright, nothing like my ev. I have a 2021 fiat ducato based motorhome. My question, is it worth upgrading the bulbs, has anyone done it, was it worth it. some claim 150-200% brighter seems quite a big claim. Also we are going on our first European trip in July and would love bright headlights for it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have a look at this thread.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
You need to check that the bulbs you intend to use are legal. A lot are not mainly because the beams cannot be accurately profiled and they cause a lot of 'spill'.

Also the 'brightness' claim is likely to be a nonsense? What are they measuring and at what distance? Lumens for light, like decibels in sound is logarithmic and not linear in profile.

Remember if driving at night abroad unless you are lucky enough to have units where you can vary the dip pattern between left and right, you will have to use beam deflectors. I don't know for certain, but suspect if replacing with LED rather than better filiament lamps, that they will catch less of the beam and therefore the overall dazzle factor to oncoming traffic will increase making it far more likely that you will be pulled over.

I was with someone in an EV in the dark a few weeks ago and they proudly told me how they have put the lights on maximum height so they can see even better! At every other drivers expense. I hate having them behind me as they cast such a shadow it looks as though you are constantly driving into a dark patch, yet I could comfortable read a newspaper inside my car from the spill bouncing off my headlining. I understand the AA are making a formal complaint to VOSA about the very bright and poorly focussed lights as they see it as a safety issue.

There is a fundamental issue with single source LED lamps with lack of focus because the source is so big. In entertainment we have either multiple focussed LED sources in a single unit for a wash, or a single COB unit with substantial optics to focus the beam for a spot light. There is no room in a car to install the appropriate optics because they look like this when housed.
1716037323244.png

Rant over.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was with someone in an EV in the dark a few weeks ago and they proudly told me how they have put the lights on maximum height so they can see even better! At every other drivers expense
Before my brother became a college lecturer he was an MOT tester.
He had a solution to this problem.
He adjusted LED lighting to its lowest possible effective setting.....no more dazzle from those cars

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Darthnog
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mclouis fusion 360
Have a look at this thread.
Thanks Lenny, đź‘Ť

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
fitted Hid upgrade kit, that bright dont need full beam and fully compliant. Will see if I have any pics... can only be fitted on main beam and have an equivalent upgrade lamp to match for high beam.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Tried all sorts of Nightbreaker, LED, HID etc in various cars. Only HIDs made any real difference but were borderline illegal. Eventually gave up and stuck with std halogens and lived with them.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have a 2019 Burstner, with the little round headlights with a single bulb and a motor to dip or main beam, the old saying P***holes in the snow springs to mind. Anyone found a solution to overcome this

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have a 2019 Burstner, with the little round headlights with a single bulb and a motor to dip or main beam, the old saying P***holes in the snow springs to mind. Anyone found a solution to overcome this
Same in my Hymer I fitted LEDs and can now actually see at night.
See the thread I linked to in post #4, my install is in the thread

Upvote 0

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
Philips Pro were the brightest I could find which didn't have a reduced lifespan.

Edited to add: yes, worth doing, and then you have a spare set of bulbs as well!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
I found the headlights on our 2022 Ducato were woeful. Replaced the bulbs with Beamtech fanless LEDs (I’ve used them before to good effect in other vehicles) and it’s massively improved the night driving experience. The cutoffs are still well defined and the spread, with the nearside bias maintained, also good. Not having any issues with oncoming traffic. No canbus errors.

Upvote 0
Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I’ve fitted LED’s in my dip beams, they are much better in terms of overall light output, but the beam pattern needs to be adjusted a little, they aren’t as clear cut as I’d like, but they are MUCH better than the originals. The main beams are truly astonishing, like driving with a full rally spec set up whilst maintaining the original beam pattern. Worth doing in my opinion. Judging the difference in light output is very subject because the mark one eyeball fitted to the average human is quite good at adapting to different light levels, so my subjective thoughts are dipped beams are about 60% better and main beams about 100% better.
If I had access to a light meter I’d be able to give you accurate figures……

Cheers!

Russ

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
HID.... do you have headlamp washers and wipers.
HID must have both to be legal
They are only CE approved so not road legal due also to oem reflector possibly. Point I was making the after market Leds are bright and thats it, no proper light dispersion. When I put a light meter on these about 5m away they were if I remember 120% brighter than originals which will do for me....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back