Self levelling system price? (1 Viewer)

Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I did a costing excercise for levellers in September 2021 and they all seem to be around same cost range except Goldschmidt who I expected to be expensive.
  1. Goldschmidt. £6980
  2. EP by SAP. £5507
  3. EP by Rosmia £5700
  4. Ma-Ve. Essenjay £4750
Prices have gone up 10% already my preference would be SAP with such good reviews🤔

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
We are having an Alko system factory fitted as they build the chassis on our new Niesmann I think it’s around £5500 but we felt at the end of the day if the chassis is Alko then the system should be spot on. It will be our first system but we will keep this van a few years and at 54 it’s not by the time it goes I’ll be around 60 and my wife is not great with the ramps.
Only time will tell if it’s worth it or not?

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
You won’t regret it. I guess your new system will be identical to the E&P system as they are both part of the same group.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks
Wheel wedges and 2 gin and tonics, place wedges under wheels to be heightened and the G&Ts either end of the MH, liquid will always find its level.

Ermm, once level you can drink the G&Ts whilst counting the 6 grand;)

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I did a costing excercise for levellers in September 2021 and they all seem to be around same cost range except Goldschmidt who I expected to be expensive.
  1. Goldschmidt. £6980
  2. EP by SAP. £5507
  3. EP by Rosmia £5700
  4. Ma-Ve. Essenjay £4750
Prices have gone up 10% already my preference would be SAP with such good reviews🤔
Try AS Warrington for HPC.

Upvote 0

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
We looked at self levelling but the age of the Moho we have was the deciding factor for us.
it was not about money but about the age it’s a 2003 but even though we have spent a lot on it so far.
on a refurb it now seems like our but still maybe not the self levelling system.HAVING SAID THAT
who knows.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I also paid about £5k two or three years ago for our E&P system.

Its not cheap, but you will not regret it. Make sure the installer makes it possible to remove them for use on your next van without leaving any obvious marks or holes. My installer suggested that. A good one will.

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Wheel wedges and 2 gin and tonics, place wedges under wheels to be heightened and the G&Ts either end of the MH, liquid will always find its level.

Ermm, once level you can drink the G&Ts whilst counting the 6 grand;)

Your probably right as they would likely be a waste on a camper van. 😜 :giggle:

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
If you can afford it go for the best ,my motorhome is 20years old still love it when I can afford it I will be buying goldsmith sameas my suspension wheels springs anti rollbar spacers lage fuel tank all now 20 years old still perfect

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
It’s called choice James, it wouldn’t do for us to be all the same. I’m a relative newbie and my first van was an Elddis, which was a great van but after a bit of use we found out it didn’t suit us, we wanted a garage/more storage etc. If you notice the majority of A Class are continental vans, with more internal room and more storage space with garages, which suits a lot of users especially the retired who can go off for weeks/months at a time and will use that “space” to live in more comfortably. Have you been IN an A Class? This is my second van, it’s an Adria Sonic A class, 7.4 metres long, nothing special (although it’s very special to me) and it was all I couldn’t afford and I’m converted, I’d be very reluctant to go back to a coachbuilt.
Also lastly quite a few go Skiing for weeks on end and these more expensive A Class have double floors which keep it very cosy and warm, which in the Austrian alps at minus 15 you may have a harder, more expensive time keeping your british built Autotrail warm. So it’s not just about gizmos and gadgets it’s more about functionality and how they’re being used.
Well said, we have just bought a A class ,it's our forever home, we needed the large Garage for all our stuff it's perfect for us , we have a Hymer and the Insulation is far better than the British built ones it also has a double floor keeping you cozy and warm in the colder Countries, the heating is fantastic suites us perfectly , but you do get what you pay for ,

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
High all,
Has anyone on here had the Tesa electric levellers fitted? I'm not sure if they are good enough

Upvote 0
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Chausson 786 XLB
Exp
I’m a newbie
Does anyone know if you can move self leaving systems onto a new van?

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

We had our E&P levelling system fitted at S.A.P and they said that we could have our system removed from our present van and fitted to another van in the future, which is what swung the deal with my wife.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes we have AlKO HY4 system which is four separate units that can be moved from van to van,
No central oil resevoir.👍😊

Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
It depends on chassis type, weight, lifting height requirements etc.
When we had our HPC system fitted, five different leg sizes were available accordingly.
If the motorhome is very similar then there shouldn’t be a problem, apart from the cost to remove and refit may be a significant percentage of just getting a new up to date system fitted.

Upvote 0

Roby2008

Free Member
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
Had the AK-KO Hy4 system in Feb, fitted at the Austrian factory, €7200 with the Weight measure Option....van is a 7m Pilote on the Fiat chassis....
Pricey, yes...with wheelchair user in the van, priceless.....

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yes but it will depend on the chassis, so long as they are the same e.g fiat on alko then yes but check with your preferred supplier

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yes but it will depend on the chassis, so long as they are the same e.g fiat on alko then yes but check with your preferred supplier
We had our E&P system moved from our Alko chassis Hymer A class to a Fiat 6m panel van. But, the two back legs had to be swopped for smaller/different ones. So it is possible to move.

It is worth noting however that all of the hydraulic hoses have to be replaced as they are made to measure for each installation by the E&P installers, due to different routing / pump location etc. So there is a cost. Without any leg changes, expect it to be £1000 - £1500. Mine was £2000 due to the replacement rear legs.
That is much cheaper than losing the system and paying £6k plus for a new system though!

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
We had our E&P system moved from our Alko chassis Hymer A class to a Fiat 6m panel van. But, the two back legs had to be swopped for smaller/different ones. So it is possible to move.

It is worth noting however that all of the hydraulic hoses have to be replaced as they are made to measure for each installation by the E&P installers, due to different routing / pump location etc. So there is a cost. Without any leg changes, expect it to be £1000 - £1500. Mine was £2000 due to the replacement rear legs.
That is much cheaper than losing the system and paying £6k plus for a new system though!
Ours is 1800 if it all fits, more if different legs needed. Others are cheaper but couldn't fit us in.

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
If they do it like they did mine, they will leave the leg brackets on your old van and fit new brackets to the new one. Maybe they are probably cheap enough to compensate the work needed.
Who’s doing it for you?

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Has anyone with self levelling had them fail? We did on an American RV, one of the front rams would not retract so we got stuck on a site, it would extend though so in attempts to make it work we were getting higher!! I was told to take the weight off the ram to see if it would reset, the site managed to find be a trolley jack and various bits of wood as we were quite high even before this problem. Taking the weight off did nothing and then one of those gifts in life happened. The site had emptied being a Sunday and now it was late afternoon, a single caravanner appeared and set up a few pitches down. The chap had been casually watching us and after a few hours strolled over and asked if the jacks were hydraulic, yes they are I replied, he rolled up his very white shirt sleeves and slid underneath the RV. Asked for a 17mm spanner and then swapped around the hydraulic lines which then allowed the ram to be retracted on the extend setting. Stunned I queried what he did and how he knew - turned out he was a forklift engineer and it was his day off lol!
For reference, each ram on this RV had its own fluid tank, it used heavy-duty relays to control the pumps direction, one had failed so swapping the lines around we could get the ram retracted.
As said in other posts I have had a few E&P Systems over the years. They have not been without issue. I have had 3 jacks fail, one on one system and two on an other. The jacks would “crack” loudly and slowly lower the vehicle slightly. One was replaced under warranty and the other two at my own cost, I think the cost was around £750 each. They were both front jacks and failed within months of each other.
Our current system failed 6 months into ownership. On trying to retract the jacks one remained down and would not retract. On trying to lower or retract the other jacks were lowering. Turned out the solenoid had melted as it was getting a constant open signal from a defective master board. To get the defective Jack retracted I had to disconnect the hydraulic line which was a little concerning as I was unsure if the line had trapped pressure. All was well and the Jack remained retracted thankfully. The system was repaired under warranty.
Although we have had issues we would not be without it and always buy from SAP in Doncaster where the system is not installed by the manufacturer. Mick and team at SAP are brilliant. Mick will do all he can to help, even if the system was not purchased from him. I have compared installations on my vans done by the manufacturers compared to systems I have had SAP fitted and the quality and standard by SAP has always been higher.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back