Self levelling system price? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Grand Alpa
Exp
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Is there any point in fitting hydraulic jacks on a van other than
Self leveling
Stability
Getting out of mud
Changing wheels
Security (possibly)
If that all you may as well stick with ramps 🙂
What have hydraulics ever done for us?

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
Anyone have feedback on the Amplo Levelling system - they seem to be at a much better price point than either E&P or HPC?

I see they have been quite widely used in Europe for some time but are only now available in UK. The kit appears to be similar to E&P (YouTube).

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We’re picking up our Burstner Elegance soon and I was thinking of getting a self levelling system put on, but have just been told that because it’s tag axel and 5 tonnes, it’ll be about £6k! Has anybody got experience and is that about right? Thanks
We are up to SAP in a couple of weeks to have levelling and full Air installed. Our van is tag, 5400 so similar to yours and when I spoke with Rick, the quote for just levelling was about £5400, however, this was before Christmas so not sure if it has increased in price (we had to cancel owing to lockdown etc.)

The best thing is to email Rick or Jill at: sales@sap-ltd.co.uk for a quote, then you will have something accurate to work with. If you wish to mention Dave Haynes is booked in on 17th May and referred you, please do so. They are a wonderfully helpful company to deal with

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We had a pitch that we drove into (Spain) that slopes from left to right. We ended up with it sat on pallets and bit of wood at the back, it was a right PITA. Jacks were fitted as soon as we got back and we love them.

We had the same experience in Italy, it's so easy now though and quicker to get the beers out some pitches abroad are real eye openers 😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Durdlel Door, even with jacks and blocks we still weren't level, best thing since sliced bread. ::bigsmile:
Wheel off the ground.jpg

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Is there any point in fitting hydraulic jacks on a van other than
Self leveling
Stability
Getting out of mud
Changing wheels
Security (possibly)
If that all you may as well stick with ramps 🙂
As you're keeping a list one other benefit and we do use this, tilt van to empty the waste tank, always a bit of a surprise how much more waste water comes out, very easy and quick when needed.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Durdlel Door, even with jacks and blocks we still weren't level, best thing since sliced bread. ::bigsmile: View attachment 491185
Out of interest, what lift do you get? E.g what is the distance from the top of the wheel arch to the ground at full extension. It is difficult to understand the amount of lift you get as the suspension will unload as the van is lifted and the wheel will drop a bit., so no use measuring the Base of the unloaded wheel to the ground.
What I'm trying to establish is the amount of lift you get in comparison to say a set of Milenco Triples ramps that have 40/80/120mm lift steps

My the wheel arches are 790mm above the ground at the front and 770mm above the ground at the rear when my van is on the driveway just now, so I'm trying to understand the slope the jacks can cope with

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just have the vehicle checked first to make sure that they can fit the rams onto the chassis. We've just found out that due to the towbar fittings, it's not possible to fit the E&P self levelling system. There's only one set of pre drilled attachment holes in the Ducato chassis so it's towbar or self levelling kit but not both! Still that's saved me £5.5 K, might even buy a new set of ramps ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just have the vehicle checked first to make sure that they can fit the rams onto the chassis. We've just found out that due to the towbar fittings, it's not possible to fit the E&P self levelling system. There's only one set of pre drilled attachment holes in the Ducato chassis so it's towbar or self levelling kit but not both! Still that's saved me £5.5 K, might even buy a new set of ramps ;)

Not being familiar with the Ducato chassis I don't know, but one wonders if they could be fitted with a bit of creative engineering, ie machining up spacers, using longer bolts (of the correct schedule) etc. Which company was it that said it couldn't be done?

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Not being familiar with the Ducato chassis I don't know, but one wonders if they could be fitted with a bit of creative engineering, ie machining up spacers, using longer bolts (of the correct schedule) etc. Which company was it that said it couldn't be done?
Very experienced company Full Circle Enterprises Ltd of Banham, Norwich. Took our Adria there today. Two mechanics did underside inspection then showed me how the E&P rear ram fittings were bolted to the chassis on mh which was up on the ramp having a system fited. The E&P fittings are cast/machined metal and fit tight on the underside of the chassis beam so cannot be altered/respaced. Clearly no way of having both towbar and rear rams on my mh. Similar situation with the Ma-Ve fittings according to S&G of Luton. Fortunately TowTal of Stroke can fit wind down rear corner steadies to their towbar unit. Much cheaper and simple mechanical system.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Anyone heard of, or has, or has an opinion on:
The TESA electro mechanical jacks?
https://www.roadpro.co.uk/catalogue/03s-tesa-motorhome-levelling-systems
Looked at this system. Roadpro don't fit but have agents around the UK who do the fitting. Getting stock is a real problem at the moment due to Covid. Another issue (apparently) is that these units rotate through 90 degrees and then extend downwards making them prone to mechanical stress if the ground is not wholly level side to side. Only heard that from an installer not actually spoken to an owner. Installer recommended Ma-Ve system, dearer but more rubust.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Out of interest, what lift do you get? E.g what is the distance from the top of the wheel arch to the ground at full extension. It is difficult to understand the amount of lift you get as the suspension will unload as the van is lifted and the wheel will drop a bit., so no use measuring the Base of the unloaded wheel to the ground.
What I'm trying to establish is the amount of lift you get in comparison to say a set of Milenco Triples ramps that have 40/80/120mm lift steps

My the wheel arches are 790mm above the ground at the front and 770mm above the ground at the rear when my van is on the driveway just now, so I'm trying to understand the slope the jacks can cope with
About 250mm

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Serious question (honest guv!). I’m struggling to believe that the foot area is large enough to prevent it sinking slowly into the ground. Obviously this is not a regular occurence or there would be rants on here about it,but have any of you self levelling enthusiasts ever had this sinking feeling!??? Thanks.
No, if on soft ground I use my foot plates that spread the weight.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Very experienced company Full Circle Enterprises Ltd of Banham, Norwich. Took our Adria there today. Two mechanics did underside inspection then showed me how the E&P rear ram fittings were bolted to the chassis on mh which was up on the ramp having a system fited. The E&P fittings are cast/machined metal and fit tight on the underside of the chassis beam so cannot be altered/respaced. Clearly no way of having both towbar and rear rams on my mh. Similar situation with the Ma-Ve fittings according to S&G of Luton. Fortunately TowTal of Stroke can fit wind down rear corner steadies to their towbar unit. Much cheaper and simple mechanical system.

Have you contacted SAP and asked their advice they are very experienced on the engineering side of things they made special brackets for our previous tag axle to mount the rear jack's and altered our water tanks on our new van so full air could be fitted when no one else would, if they can't do it then it can't.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
About 250mm
The reason I ask is SAP said "between 140 and 180mm of useable stroke (lift)"
+250mm would be awesome., but £5k for +20mm is pricey value for money
And it is hard to visualise the effect of unweighting the van... I guess I could simulate by measuring the unweighting by using a regular jack

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
And it is hard to visualise the effect of unweighting the van... I guess I could simulate by measuring the unweighting by using a regular jack
Have you contacted SAP and asked their advice they are very experienced on the engineering side of things they made special brackets for our previous tag axle to mount the rear jack's and altered our water tanks on our new van so full air could be fitted when no one else would, if they can't do it then it can't.
Thanks but I'm settling for only the corner steadies and the usual ramps when needed. Maybe next time.

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
That certainly makes the proposition more attractive, as the initial outlay / future cost is somewhat mitigated if it can be removed and fitted onto a new van, or if you were to sell the van.
I wonder if there is any merit in paying a bit more on the initial installation to fit uprated jacks to future proof it and prevent the need to buy new hardware in future (I appreciate this is a bit of a "what if" scenario, and there may be practical obstacles to fitting larger jacks than required)
I doubt bigger jacks are the solution to lower cost swop over Gerry.

I discussed this with the E&P agents - Courtside Conversions, Tiverton, Devon - if it was financially viable fitting the system to a twelve year old van. After a look at my van, he said he could fit the pump etc into the garage, boxed in neatly, and would make a seat side panel for the fixed controller. Making it easier to remove and nothing visible one the original seat box panel was refitted. I also have the old style, chunky, remote. Which I always use.

The final job was amazingly good, visually. Maybe because their primary business is creating minibuses out of new vans? Whatever, if he takes it out to transfer to a different van in the future, I know he’s made it as easy as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
You can always add a wooden block under a jack or two if needed. I carry a couple but have not needed them so far.

I notice there is a strong bias towards S&P for E&P jacks etc. I’m sure they are great. But all E&P agents have to meet the same standards to be able to fit, and I understand they have to maintain that standard.

I picked the agent nearest to me. No need to travel the country for E&P stuff. Even the price is controlled by E&P to ensure its worth the agents while to do it right. (My agent said we take the rough with smooth. Some are a pig that take ages to fit, others a breeze). Thats bound to be true if the cost is the same. Isn’t it?

Unless someone knows of a bad installer of course?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can always add a wooden block under a jack or two if needed. I carry a couple but have not needed them so far.

I notice there is a strong bias towards S&P for E&P jacks etc. I’m sure they are great. But all E&P agents have to meet the same standards to be able to fit, and I understand they have to maintain that standard.

I picked the agent nearest to me. No need to travel the country for E&P stuff. Even the price is controlled by E&P to ensure its worth the agents while to do it right. (My agent said we take the rough with smooth. Some are a pig that take ages to fit, others a breeze). Thats bound to be true if the cost is the same. Isn’t it?

Unless someone knows of a bad installer of course?
SAP give a funster discount on some things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I travelled a 100 odd mile to have ours fitted at SAP when I could have gone just 25 mile to the nearest E&P installer, why, reputation for going above and beyond meeting the "standard".
Our neighbor a few doors down did not want the hassle of going up tho Doncaster and had his fitted at the local installer and yes it was all fitted correctly and worked as it should but it did not have the attention to detail and neatness that SAP had done with our install.
SAP have a reputation and a following for a reason.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
SAP don't stop if they don't fit out of the box they will engineer them to fit as no install is the same nothing is a problem that goes with the VB air products they also supply. SAP convert most of the Ambulance's up here and also many of the SKY off site broadcasting lorries and vans.

Upvote 0

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Yes SAP. Sorry.

Well, the company local to me did a first rate job. Every van has its differences for them to overcome. They convert vans into other things too.

Maybe there are only two good agents who go the extra mile to do a good job, out of the fifteen premier installers listed on the E&P website, but I doubt it!

I can only speak about the one I used. As can you all probably.

Upvote 0

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
FWIW, I had a quick play with a jack today,
my front wheel arch is 790mm with the suspension static loaded up, when i jack the van up, the front wheel lifts off the ground with the wheel arch at 935mm, (so there is 145mm of sag in the front suspension)
the rear wheel arch is at 770mm with the suspension static loaded up, when i jack the van up, the rear wheel lifts off the ground with the wheel arch at 905mm, (so there is 135mm of sag in the rear suspension)

i assume the E&P jacks will add an additional 140-180mm of lift beyond the simple uncompression of the suspension, so lifting the front & rear an additional 140-180mm, so the front wheel arch (i.e chassis) could be somewhere between +275mm to +315mm…. which is a significant increase over the levelling capability of a 40/80/120mm loft on a set of ramps.

I’ll need to check this with E&P of course - but this is much more attractive

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back