Security suggestions (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Used to a bit of park up camping here in the UK and know to follow your gut!
Any other tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Apr 22, 2012
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape
Exp
Eight wonderful years!
Possibly worth buying big dog water bowl and leave outside by step. (You do have to remember to take it with you - one if ours (and we really did have a medium sized dog! ) got left at a lovely spot in Brittany, and we drove over another one once!! ). Happy travels.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi
We are heading to France and Spain for the first time. Have read some items re MH’s being targets of burglars both when empty and being slept in.
Have beefed up our security by adding Fiamma locks on locker and Hab doors, window catches, and am aware cab doors can be strapped to prevent opening.
Vanbitz alarm Strikeback or Growler is a good option to have fitted if you dont already have it you can arm it at night so you can sleep, if a door is opened the alarm goes off, plus the external LED's are a deterrent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My tip is to stop worrying and enjoy your motorhoming.

You only read about the relatively rare, tricky incidents online. You never read about the thousands upon thousands of peaceful nights spent in motorhomes around the world.

JJ :cool:
We've talked with a few people who have been robbed, they used motorway aires though which is NOT recommended.

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi
Its really not that bad and stop worrying.

After almost a thousand nights out and hardly ever on a campsite we have yet to have any problems.
We don't have any sophisticated alarm systems just your basic Thatcham alarm and remember to lock the doors before bed :hugs:
As Minxy says avoid motorway services and hide any valuables you have to leave in the van.
Our safe is a plastic Tupperware box hidden inside a discreet cabinet

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I feel safer stopping over in an Aire in France/Spain than I do in a lay-by in the UK.
Like others have said, don't mistake the Autoroute aires for the Aire de camping cars found in small villages and towns. Thieves often target the motorway aires as they drive through and move on (with everyones goods) very quickly before anyone realises they've been burgled. They don't discriminate as they target cars/vans/caravans etc.
The Aires in the towns and villages mostly appreciate your stay as it often means spending in their area.
We have a Vanbitz Growler alarm fit and the flashing light is usually enough to deter some.
Bikes are alarmed and multi chained and padlocked but if they really wanted them, they'd take the bike rack.
Like your house, it's all about not keeping valuables on show and keeping doors locked and close windows and vents when going out.
If you feel that somewhere doesn't feel safe, then move on to the next place.
I've done it in the past and although it's a pain moving at 1am, it felt right at the time and looking back, I'd still do the same.
Look on here for aire suggestions and read the reviews on the many aire stop over Apps.
More importantly, just go for it and enjoy your trip - and keep everyone on here updated with a journal and photos so we can all be jealous.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave and Jan
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice. I’d already picked up on not staying at motorway aires and our route is mainly off motorway. Too late to add an additional growler alarm but something to consider for the future (I think we might be able to set ours and isolate the interior sensors) Think we’ve done what we can and as per your advice it’s time to chill out and enjoy the experience. Always good to hear what others do and cheers for the responses.

Upvote 0

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Just enjoy it !. Be sensible but don't overthink it.
We did this france/spain run for the first time recently and loved it .
Never felt unsafe anywhere (didnt sleep in motorway services).
France is a big place and very cold at the time so we'll head back to explore more of this later in the year .
I'm sure you'll love it!
Do you have your tickets booked and route planned?

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have deadlocks on our 2 doors and the Strikeback alarm which is absolute deafening inside the van!
I’m not sure about those Fiamma door locks, they do send the message that the van is uninhabited.
As said by others don’t sleep in the Motorway stops,
odd lay-bys, and don’t stop in Calais!
You should be fine in the Aires, we have never had problems in many years of using them but we never stay in one of we don’t like it or feel uncomfortable!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave and Jan
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Just enjoy it !. Be sensible but don't overthink it.
We did this france/spain run for the first time recently and loved it .
Never felt unsafe anywhere (didnt sleep in motorway services).
France is a big place and very cold at the time so we'll head back to explore more of this later in the year .
I'm sure you'll love it!
Do you have your tickets booked and route planned?
Thanks for the positive response. We have ferries booked out and return from Newhaven-Dieppe. A route planned through France calling to see some old neighbours for a couple of nights near Limoges, then south via the Millau Viaduct. Once in Spain plan is to meander down the coast from Loret towards Alicante, then head back through the middle of Spain towards Madrid / Burgos and up the French Atlantic coast back to Dieppe.
Hoping we’ve chosen a time of year when weather should be good and not too hot.
Enjoy your travels.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Most issues i have heard are people having bikes nicked off the rear carrier, apart from the gassing on motorway services and having their rolex and 5 grand in cash nicked🤣🤣🤣🤣

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave and Jan
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
We have deadlocks on our 2 doors and the Strikeback alarm which is absolute deafening inside the van!
I’m not sure about those Fiamma door locks, they do send the message that the van is uninhabited.
As said by others don’t sleep in the Motorway stops,
odd lay-bys, and don’t stop in Calais!
You should be fine in the Aires, we have never had problems in many years of using them but we never stay in one of we don’t like it or feel uncomfortable!
The one on the Hab door will be locked back when we are using the van. It should add extra security when we leave it for the day to go visiting places or to the beach, that’s the hope anyway. I think your spot on that if it feels uncomfortable move on. We have an alarm and can isolate the inner sensors which we do sometimes when leaving the dog. That might work for us too. We head off on Monday so too late for additional alarms.

Upvote 0

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
Let us all know where you are , how your getting on , those little gems you find upon your travels :cool: .
It all makes for interesting reading and we might wanna go there ourselves in the not too distant future :france:
People will no doubt chip in with helpful tips on stuff worth a visit or the best place to eat in your local area.
I miss the food,wine and the beautiful scenery.
Monday? .....not long now! :party2:

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2022
Funster No
MH
70s camper,Weinsberg
Can you access garage door internally as we put a pole through it.
Buy a dogs in transit sticker too we have this subtle.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
they are targetted occasionally.
Absolutely, though comparatively safe when compared to Motorway Aires and highly recommended 100’s of times on Fun people should never let their guard down. Always follow simple safety procedures and never say “it‘ll be alright“ there will be the one day it won’t.

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I fitted a Fiamma external lock on our hab door.
I never lock it so potential theives don't know if anyone is in our van or not, but if I do slide it over to lock it then I have confirmed that our van is not occupied.
I have the Thule inside/outside lock fitted to the hab door so I hope thieves can tell the difference 😁

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave and Jan
Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I have the Thule inside/outside lock fitted to the hab door so I hope thieves can tell the difference 😁
We looked at that and it would have been better, but there is insufficient room at the side of the Hab door due to the bathroom bulkhead.

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
We have hab and locker Fiamma locks, deadlocks fitted on the front door, a steering lock and ''Beware - Bull Mastiff inside!!'' signs front and back (but no bull mastiff). I think this kind of thing puts thieves off, for sure. They are mainly looking for easy pickings. But if thieves are REALLY determined, I don't think you can do much. A couple of years ago in the CAMC site in Tredegar, Newport, thieves came to our van during the night and CARRIED AWAY our Beverly 350cc scooter (180kgs) which was steering-locked, had a disc-lock on the front wheel and was heavy-duty chained to my leccy push bike. Six of them (captured on CCTV) picked up the whole kit and caboodle and carried it away from our van, pulled up the ranch fence to the onsite field, dragged the lot across the field, then cut through the camp perimeter chain-link fence and took the lot into nearby woods where they could then separate the two with a portable angle grinder. The next morning when I discovered the loss, I followed the trail (I spotted the pulled up ranch fence and the drag marks through the grass) and found the scooter abandoned in the woods, with the steering column broken and (unbeknown to them) un-startable due to a flat battery which I'd intended to charge the next day. The leccy bike was long gone, though. My point is, if they are determined enough, the buggers will have it.................

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back