Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (3 Viewers)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I got back from a week on the west last week up as far as Ullapool from merseyside way. Stayed on one site but used brit stops and wilded too.

On my return I went straight and done 5 days on the Isle of man from the Liverpool ferry, and my comment was, Isle of Man hands down next time over Scotland.
If you want the hills, walking, wild stops on the coast where you can virtually step into the sea, nature, lovely coves and friendly people, quaint villages, and all with no midgies, and usually better weather then this is for me.

Granted, I dont live far from the ferry terminal, and dont mind sailing, and then its 2 and 3 quarter hours on the ferry, but Ill be back very very soon.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
And by the way don't call us Jocks
My grandad used to call me Jack all the time, (my name is John)
It wasnt until I was in my teens I found out it was quite common to call a john, Jack. (Jock as I understand it in Scots)
my freind I lived with in Torquay was from Paisley , his mum called him Jock all the time (or wee johnny) what s the problem with"jock" jopparocks Is it a bad slur?

bloody Sassenachs :roflmto:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
You said to your fellow worker, 'Could your repeat that slowly and in English' - What English is that then? Cornish? Northern English? Liverpudlian? Maybe Black Country English? Or Mancunian? What about Received Pronunciation? What? That's right Pauly, there is no 'one English' he could have replied in. I suspect you wanted him to speak to you in your own type of English, Mancunian and found it very funny that instead he spoke in his own type of English which says more about you than him.
The broad 'Aberdonian' you were listening to and not understanding was Doric, which is a very old dialect which has been part of the culture of my part of Scotland for a very long time. And to your fellow workers, who you have mocked for the way they speak here, it was you who had an accent - a Mancunian one - but they probably accepted, unlike you, that different people from different parts of the UK speak in different accents and dialects, and sometimes languages such a Gaelic or Welsh. Its part of what makes the UK what it is - diverse and fantastic.
And by the way don't call us Jocks - its not nice. My father was an able seaman in the RN during the war including the Normandy landings and no Englishman ever called him a Jock twice.
My post was very tongue in cheek and the use of jocks was not meant to upset anyone, I still have a lot of friends who are Scottish and when working offshore you get a lot of banter, being Mancunian i received a lot of stick all given and taken with good humour, yes we are a diverse nation when it comes to accents, some are more understandable than others I could follow and understand everyone at work but some were really broad and took a lot of following.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
My grandad used to call me Jack all the time, (my name is John)
It wasnt until I was in my teens I found out it was quite common to call a john, Jack. (Jock as I understand it in Scots)
my freind I lived with in Torquay was from Paisley , his mum called him Jock all the time (or wee johnny) what s the problem with"jock" jopparocks Is it a bad slur?

bloody Sassenachs :roflmto:
Hi Tombola - my dad was John but he was always called Jack. I wouldn't say Jock was a bad slur but my dad hated it as he thought it was a lazy way to refer to all Scots, not just Johns. I'm sure most people who say it don't mean it in a derogatory way but some definitely do. I can't think of an equivalent term for an Englishman.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Oh dear are we sinking into a Can't say that, Can't do that scenario from the precious ?
Through my life I have heard with no offence meant and none taken, Jock, Taffy, Cockney, Scouser, Mick, Spud (because the guys surname was Murphy) Brummie etc etc etc.
All this PC lot have done is squeeze the individuality out of this country.
Shame on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
My post was very tongue in cheek and the use of jocks was not meant to upset anyone, I still have a lot of friends who are Scottish and when working offshore you get a lot of banter, being Mancunian i received a lot of stick all given and taken with good humour, yes we are a diverse nation when it comes to accents, some are more understandable than others I could follow and understand everyone at work but some were really broad and took a lot of following.
Hi Pauly - thanks for replying. Sometimes tongue in cheek doesn't come across well on the internet and sorry if I came back to you too strong. I used to be in the navy (merchant) and you're right the banter can be quite biting sometimes. As for Jock well maybe a bit of overreacting there as well. It's been a long time since I worked in places where banter and jokes were close to the bone and working in a uni has maybe made me oversensitive!
cheers Martin

Jan 27, 2014
Oakham, Rutland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have spent many enjoyable times in Scotland over the last 50 years. On my last visit our visit was spoilt by the anti English rhetoric form the Scottish media

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
And by the way don't call us Jocks - its not nice

Its nicer than sweaty :)

When did that start then, who said it wasnt nice. I know loads of jocks who call themselves jock. It's never said with malice, If a new generation of scots get upset about this term of endearment, maybe they should grow a thicker skin.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have spent many enjoyable times in Scotland over the last 50 years. On my last visit our visit was spoilt by the anti English rhetoric form the Scottish media
Welcome to what we've put up with for far longer!:whistle2:;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

When did that start then, who said it wasnt nice. I know loads of jocks who call themselves jock. It's never said with malice, If a new generation of scots get upset about this term of endearment, maybe they should grow a thicker skin.
Hey you!:swear2: Most of us are thick enough!:whistle2:;):giggle:

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Oh dear are we sinking into a Can't say that, Can't do that scenario from the precious ?
Through my life I have heard with no offence meant and none taken, Jock, Taffy, Cockney, Scouser, Mick, Spud (because the guys surname was Murphy) Brummie etc etc etc.
All this PC lot have done is squeeze the individuality out of this country.
Shame on them.
Well I knew someone would accuse me of being PC. What other thinks would you like to be free to say to people that they might find offensive? What would you find ok to call a Pakistani, or a chinese, or an egyptian or a jew? I'm not particularly PC but if a specific group doesn't like the names you call them why do it?
Are you a Scot, Welsh? How do you know they didn't find it offensive. Maybe they were just resigned to it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As I understand it there is no right in law not be be offended.

Thankfully, as some are offending over anything and everything these days. :doh:

God save from this PC hell.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Well I knew someone would accuse me of being PC. What other thinks would you like to be free to say to people that they might find offensive? What would you find ok to call a Pakistani, or a chinese, or an egyptian or a jew? I'm not particularly PC but if a specific group doesn't like the names you call them why do it?
Are you a Scot, Welsh? How do you know they didn't find it offensive. Maybe they were just resigned to it.
Some of the English rugby boys on here call us Welsh "sheep shaggers".

Highly offensive and most upsetting especially as the worst thing we call them is "Losers".

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp

Sweaty is pretty horrible. As a Scot in his 60's living in Scotland I know loads of people who hate the term Jock, probably as many as you do in England who don't mind it. I haven't heard anyone English living in Scotland calling anyone a Jock - it seems to me to be a thing the English say to Scots living in England. You say its never made with malice. People who say they are going for a 'Chinese' or down to the 'paki' corner shop probably don't do it with malice either but we respect the fact that chinese and pakistani people find it offensive so we don't do it - or most of us don't. I would think if you are a Scot living in England you wouldn't want to make a fuss about it as it would make you look as if you were a 'chippy' scot.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Im always called a Wool by my scouse comrades in the next door county, then I call my welsh mates wools, (they generally just call me English ***)
I think nowadays this PC stuff has gone too far like must of us think. But it was always there, its just that back in the day we didnt have platforms like this forum, or social media/instant tv news where we could all spout about it, or even say none PC things and they get round the word in seconds viewed and replied to by millions.

Back in the day it stayed n the village (ish)

The Scots I have met over time whilst seeing the beautiful parts of their country have always been welcoming.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
As I understand it there is no right in law not be be offended.

Thankfully, as some are offending over anything and everything these days. :doh:

God save from this PC hell.
What's the law got to do with it? We are having a discussion here and I don't think it is wrong to say to someone that the terms they use are offensive to some people. I would support your right to be as offensive as you want but on the other hand I have the right to come back at you with my right to reply.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Sweaty is pretty horrible. As a Scot in his 60's living in Scotland I know loads of people who hate the term Jock, probably as many as you do in England who don't mind it. I haven't heard anyone English living in Scotland calling anyone a Jock - it seems to me to be a thing the English say to Scots living in England. You say its never made with malice. People who say they are going for a 'Chinese' or down to the 'paki' corner shop probably don't do it with malice either but we respect the fact that chinese and pakistani people find it offensive so we don't do it - or most of us don't. I would think if you are a Scot living in England you wouldn't want to make a fuss about it as it would make you look as if you were a 'chippy' scot.
There's a huge difference between calling someone 'A Jock' and calling them 'Jock'. In my 12 years in the Army no Scotsman ever took offence at being called Jock, especially when his first name was unknown but the accent was recognised!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I got back from a week on the west last week up as far as Ullapool from merseyside way. Stayed on one site but used brit stops and wilded too.

On my return I went straight and done 5 days on the Isle of man from the Liverpool ferry, and my comment was, Isle of Man hands down next time over Scotland.
If you want the hills, walking, wild stops on the coast where you can virtually step into the sea, nature, lovely coves and friendly people, quaint villages, and all with no midgies, and usually better weather then this is for me.

Granted, I dont live far from the ferry terminal, and dont mind sailing, and then its 2 and 3 quarter hours on the ferry, but Ill be back very very soon.
look forward to the photos

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
What's the law got to do with it? We are having a discussion here and I don't think it is wrong to say to someone that the terms they use are offensive to some people. I would support your right to be as offensive as you want but on the other hand I have the right to come back at you with my right to reply.

If you take any group of people someone will always be upset by something that others aren't
sometimes a thicker skin is needed, sometimes a better sense of humour, and sometimes more compassion required by the person speaking.

personally I get irked by people telling me what I can say.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
I ticked your post to Pauly with a like, yes I did think you over reacted but you squared it all with that post, then you went right back and typed a similar aggressive post to me.
Note I didn't mention you by name with the PC comment.
As I wrote, none of the nicknames I grew up with were said with any offence intended and certainly none was taken, people went to work along side each other in heavy industry worked bloody hard, had some fun along the way then went home.
How do I know they didn't find it offensive, I believe we lived in the real world, people weren't so precious if they had a problem they sorted it out themselves or with the help of friends, today people are scared of saying or doing anything for fear that it might offend someone or even worse someone will be offended for someone else.
I really have no thoughts on names for the Pakistani, Chinese, Egyptian or Jew, why would you even bring them up?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988

When an Englishman refers to say "The 'Jocks' coming down to London" Its regionalism, not racism. There is a big misunderstood difference that the PC among us just don't get. Racism is a truly disgusting thing. Regionalism should be encouraged. It's healthy.

Every town has dumb nicknames for their nearest town who are rivals in everything, from local derby sports meetings to the best kept village the same with regions the same with countries like those that make up the UK, Jocks, taffies, Sasanachs, paddies etc. This rivalry is healthy and is why we have prospered so. it doesn't stop there it's international. We might get called RostBifs but its only by the Frogs so who cares. :D

If you get offended by this stuff I'm sorry, but I'll save my offence for things that matter, like proper racism.

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
There's a huge difference between calling someone 'A Jock' and calling them 'Jock'. In my 12 years in the Army no Scotsman ever took offence at being called Jock, especially when his first name was unknown but the accent was recognised!
Hi John yes I believe it is an army thing to call scots jocks. But if you didn't know the name of an English soldier what would you call him

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
look forward to the photos
isle of man Ayers point. Overnighted here
1625479178487.png

Stood at the side of Peel Castle
1625479261290.png

Ramsey
1625479298124.png

Ramsey Promenade beside Ramsey Lake, note the gravel area to the right of the pic has Elsan and fresh. Permits need to be obtained to stay overnight here,
1625479371442.png

Overnighted here (or 2oo metres away)
1625479409120.png

Overnighted here
1625479447027.png

100 metres from the sea but yet feels like miles from anywhere. 6 other vans over what must have been 100's of acres,

Last edited:

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Hi John yes I believe it is an army thing to call scots jocks. But if you didn't know the name of an English soldier what would you call him
As I was a Senior NCO I usually said "Oy!", "You!".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back