Scotland, not my idea of a holiday destination. (2 Viewers)

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Each to their own, I’ve been all over the world and each place has its own attractions. If Scotland’s not for you there will be many who take your place with a different opinion. We’re giving it a miss just now for that very reason, haven’t been to Wales before so enjoying it now. You’ll be back touring in Europe before long, we haven’t taken the van over there yet but by the sounds of things we might not return to Scotland 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Typical!:swear2:

Bl**dy foreigners expect the locals to use their foreign language instead of them trying to blend into the community by learning the local lingo! :whistle2: ;):giggle::giggle::giggle:
Can you say that again please ... :giggle:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Don’t class all of it by southern standards. Yorkshire to Northumberland two weeks ago, no traffic no holdups, Northumberland to glencoe, no traffic no holdups. After that going North and West very little traffic at all.
What route did you take?
A38/M5 then Worcester North JN.
It seems Fridays are a nightmare going from the South West up t north.
Also using A303 or A35 to Dorset/Hampshire.
Albiet some parts of uk maybe trouble free but my experience ain't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phileas Fogg

Free Member
Apr 27, 2014
west of the tamar
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
BC and the Rockies can be spectacular, I know this because my home is there and I have driven most of it from the ice roads in the North to the US border in the South. It isn't BETTER than Scotland it is DIFFERENT to Scotland. Sure the mountains are bigger and more spectacular, the wildlife if you are lucky enough to see it more, let's say wild, The roads are empty, everyone drives like they have all day to get anywhere, mostly because it takes all day to get anywhere! Exception to this if you see a large truck coming at you best just yield and get out of the way, they take no prisoners. Still plenty of Orientals ( am I allowed to say that in this country?) filling the coaches and taking a million pictures. Scotland has far more culture and history, there aren't too many castles in Western Canada and churches look like cinemas. It isn't just about the scenery or the weather it is about the culture too.
I think Scotland is a fantastic vacation spot and can't wait to return especially to Wester Ross, if you can't appreciate it then don't go there, if you want guaranteed sun then head South.
Could someone now post how awful Cornwall is please then the wrong sort of visitors might be put off coming here too!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its not all about the scenery but how you holiday too. We returned yesterday from 3 weeks in South West Scotland, lovely places to see with very little in the way of traffic and not bursting with tourists, friendly locals and some great (free) stops by the sea, lakes etc, and lovely scenery. The weather was very good being warm and sunny most days, in fact we got sunburn! A couple of days were overcast, one where we had sea mist, and a bit or rain on another, so very little need for fleeces/coats at all. I had a good few paddles in the sea with the doggies and even got my kayak out 3 times which was great. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and could happily have stopped for a lot longer had we not had to return as I had a hospital appointment today, will certainly be going again.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Just tell them that Torpoint is representative of the rest of Cornwall and watch the hordes vanish :ROFLMAO:
Correct I think Torpoint should be the focus of next years "Visit Cornwall "campaign

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Could someone now post how awful Cornwall is please then the wrong sort of visitors might be put off coming here too!
At the risk of introducing a sour note Cornwall is for many who live there not a nice place at all.

The county is one of the most deprived areas of Western Europe. There is money in evidence in some places but also great poverty.

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Correct I think Torpoint should be the focus of next years "Visit Cornwall "campaign
Absolutely. Even better if they can visit Torpoint on a Friday night just as the Phase 1 trainees from HMS Raleigh get to the pub on their first shore pass!!

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
At the risk of introducing a sour note Cornwall is for many who live there not a nice place at all.

The county is one of the most deprived areas of Western Europe. There is money in evidence in some places but also great poverty.
Cornwall would have an even better chance if the neysayers were not in control.Cornwall is a county of potential not just tourism.(and second home owners and all those that lived in and worked around london that now want to live in Cornwall)......sorry off thread there.......Rangi ....where are you.......

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985

There is poverty in all areas

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Ok...
Massive lithium deposits ?
Geo thermal potential ?
Wind/wave hub potential.
Spaceport.

Dec 7, 2017
Sherwood Forest, Notts
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017. Before had caravan, folding camper and various tents.
I love Scotland and have had some spectacular holidays there. We had a great time in Cornwall & Devon recently. I have loved touring in France, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, Belgium, Wales as well as New Zealand.
Enjoy it all I say.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We returned yesterday from 3 weeks in South West Scotland,
We're still here! (and it was torrential rain early hours of this morning!:crying::crying:). Any chance of posting the sunshine back again (and something you won't hear from a Scotsman that frequently (ever!)), I'll pay for the postage and packing!:eek::eek:

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Well, they say England is like a sock. If you put nuts in a sock, where do they all end up ?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’ve done the east coast and as far as Inverness. I did enjoy it, especially Fife which has some lovely beaches. I’m not that keen on going again though, purely down to the weather. We stopped at one beach and only lasted five minutes as it was freezing and that was in June.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
We're still here! (and it was torrential rain early hours of this morning!:crying::crying:). Any chance of posting the sunshine back again (and something you won't hear from a Scotsman that frequently (ever!)), I'll pay for the postage and packing!:eek::eek:
Keep an eye on the birds!
When the Birds fly high it’s gonna be dry.
When the birds fly low
Yer just don’t know🤔🤔
Works in Cumbria!!😊
DJT

Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Disagree on that, worked offshore for 28 years with a lot of jocks, if you get a broad aberdonian you won’t understand a word he says.
There was one at one place I worked who would call the control room, I couldn’t understand him so would call him back and say “ could you repeat that slowly and in English “ 😂😂😂😂he would go crazy at that.
You said to your fellow worker, 'Could your repeat that slowly and in English' - What English is that then? Cornish? Northern English? Liverpudlian? Maybe Black Country English? Or Mancunian? What about Received Pronunciation? What? That's right Pauly, there is no 'one English' he could have replied in. I suspect you wanted him to speak to you in your own type of English, Mancunian and found it very funny that instead he spoke in his own type of English which says more about you than him.
The broad 'Aberdonian' you were listening to and not understanding was Doric, which is a very old dialect which has been part of the culture of my part of Scotland for a very long time. And to your fellow workers, who you have mocked for the way they speak here, it was you who had an accent - a Mancunian one - but they probably accepted, unlike you, that different people from different parts of the UK speak in different accents and dialects, and sometimes languages such a Gaelic or Welsh. Its part of what makes the UK what it is - diverse and fantastic.
And by the way don't call us Jocks - its not nice. My father was an able seaman in the RN during the war including the Normandy landings and no Englishman ever called him a Jock twice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back