LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
@GJH will explain about town carparks and the relevant law better than me.
But basically, council carparks would need a special order permitting overnight camping....they would become campsites in the eye of the law.

I'm aware of so-called special orders etc.; however, the reality of it all is that nobody at council level can be bothered to venture out at 11pm+ seeking out vehicles that may be parked infringing the law.

The police do not bother either, particularly when one chooses to park in a car park that is generally 'overlooked' as a quiet overnighter.

The proof is in the pudding and I've eaten plenty of it, especially at Scarborough!

When (and if) I ever do get moved on from the Scalby Mills car park for daring to stay beyond 11pm having paid my 24 hour ticket I will happily report the event on here and warn all others never to transgress as I did!

Reactions: DBK

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I have never been able to understand the philosophy behind the ethos of banning overnight parking. It would seem on the face of it that a payment for the use of a Space, would be far preferable to an empty space?, the maintenance of which it likely to be just a costly either way?.

The only conclusion one can come to is a form of collusion between Councils, their officers and / or Councillors. And certain vested interests who may be Camp-site Owners?.

Nothing else would seem to make any sense at all?

Pete

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have never been able to understand the philosophy behind the ethos of banning overnight parking. It would seem on the face of it that a payment for the use of a Space, would be far preferable to an empty space?, the maintenance of which it likely to be just a costly either way?.

The only conclusion one can come to is a form of collusion between Councils, their officers and / or Councillors. And certain vested interests who may be Camp-site Owners?.

Nothing else would seem to make any sense at all?

Pete

But by permitting a 24 hour ticket purchase they are not actually banning overnight parking are they?

Has anyone ever bought a 24 hour ticket, stayed in their motorhome overnight and then subsequently been fined, ticketed, shot, thrown in jail......?

I very much doubt it.

Plus, you've got to consider if you're only doing it for the odd night there's little chance of falling foul of whatever they want to class it as.

It's those that flagrantly overstay any welcome whatsoever for days on end in places they really shouldn't be.

And to give a first hand example in Scarborough, I'm referring to those who park along the foreshore and sandside disabled bays!!

Like I said it's all supposition.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the reality of it all is that nobody at council level can be bothered to venture out at 11pm+ seeking out vehicles that may be parked infringing the law.
The reallity is parking enforcement in the town is now, and has been for some time, 24hrs a day, 7 days a week.

I recently got a ticket for parking partly across a drop kerb in a village 5 miles north of town.....at 11am on a sunday morning

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But by permitting a 24 hour ticket purchase they are not actually banning overnight parking are they?

Has anyone ever bought a 24 hour ticket, stayed in their motorhome overnight and then subsequently been fined, ticketed, shot, thrown in jail......?

I very much doubt it.

Plus, you've got to consider if you're only doing it for the odd night there's little chance of falling foul of whatever they want to class it as.

It's those that flagrantly overstay any welcome whatsoever for days on end in places they really shouldn't be.

And to give a first hand example in Scarborough, I'm referring to those who park along the foreshore and sandside disabled bays!!

Like I said it's all supposition.

I think you will find my post was General and not specifically about Scarborough, nor any particular parking area. Just general comment for someone to clarify WHY a space is OK by day, but barred by night?. There is a lack of logic there somewhere?

Pete

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
That's 11am Sunday Morning?

I know full well if I haven't bought my ticket by 9am Sunday morning I'm transgressing the parking conditions, so why should I attempt to do so?

I am happy to conform to what is expected of me and pay my dues where expected and it is expected to pay between 9am and 6pm in Scarborough seven days.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I think you will find my post was General and not specifically about Scarborough, nor any particular parking area. Just general comment for someone to clarify WHY a space is OK by day, but barred by night?. There is a lack of logic there somewhere?

Pete
I appreciate the sentiments of your post relative to 24 hour parking, and agree whole heartedly.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Millie, it is that my wife can NOT walk 300 yards.

Deleted User
You can pay to park right next to the beach during the day, you would only need to drive to another location for the evening.

Lin :)
Edit at South bay there is Farrers Bistro which is a flat walk right next to the parking area, lovely food and great view over the beach, it's part of the Spa Theatre and they are dog friendly too :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Doesn't she have a disabled parking badge?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

And there you have My issue too, My good lady has good and (very) bad days, but we like to go to places where if it`a a bad day at least she can sit in the M-H in some comfort, have access to "facilities" and watch, People, Landscapes, Seascapes, NOT a vast array of parked cars in some "official" parking area shared with Trucks, Buses and Cars. As we also require the use of a Small mobility scooter and or a wheelchair on occasion. Where we park, is restricted by being able to access same. The "Blue Badge" does not always address these issues. We need to be able to access places directly, walking, more that a few yards, is not an option 80% or more of the time.

I appreciate this O-P was to address overnight parking, but for us this can also be an issue during daytime, Parking "Bays" are not the answer to every "parking" problem. And I still fail to see WHY a parking space is OK by day but not Night?. and No one seems to know why?

P.s. When the original proposal for Scarborough was put out to "consultation" I actually wrote along the lines of "WHY" and Objected to the proposed changes. Obviously it didn't make any difference, the issue was already decided in "cabinet" I suspect!.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
OK for on street parking, but no exemption from charges in council carparks

Be WARNED. this also applies to EAST YORKSHIRE too. Many have been caught out Especially in Beverley and Bridlington. As well as Driffield, where we got a £40-00 fine some years back. East and North Yorks. Are 2 of a VERY FEW who charge for Disable bay use in this country. Most places Do Not, Including HULL currently.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
You can pay to park right next to the beach during the day, you would only need to drive to another location for the evening.

Lin :)
Edit at South bay there is Farrers Bistro which is a flat walk right next to the parking area, lovely food and great view over the beach, it's part of the Spa Theatre and they are dog friendly too :)

Well, you learn something new every day!. I thought that there was now no Parking down by the Spa. Way Back (in the 1950`s) as I remember from holidays as a kid, there was only access to the Spa and the Swimming Pool. That too which by looking at Google maps has also gone?.

I can see a new visit coming on!. (perhaps?)

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Rather than respond to every individual erroneous post above perhaps I can summarise (despite the fact that all this information has been posted several times before).

First of all let's clear up the 24 hour parking ticket question. That allows a vehicle to be parked, not camped in, and, whatever some people might like to pretend they know, in the UK habitation of a vehicle is camping, not parking.

In areas where there are two tiers of councils the county council is normally responsible for on street parking and the district/borough council is responsible for off street parking. In the Scarborough Borough Council area (which includes Whitby, Filey & Sandsend) on street parking is controlled by NYCC and off street parking is controlled by SBC. That is why Scalby Mills (an off street car park) is not included in the list on the NYCC web site.

Going back some years it was possible to camp overnight at Scalby Mills and other SBC car parks because there were no orders controlling it. Then some people started abusing that fact, even to the extent of holding rallies in car parks in Whitby. SBC responded originally by trying to promote a scheme whereby overnight camping would be allowed in some of their car parks. That, though, required extra planning consent because, in legal terms, it would turn the car parks into caravan sites. When the matter was examined it was discovered that it would breach a long standing planning policy that prevented the creation of caravan sites within the areas of SBC where the car parks are located. That policy had been used over the years to turn down applications from several private companies/individuals. If SBC had given itself planning consent despite that then it would have been faced with legal action from unsuccessful applicants for not being even handed. That is why the ban on overnight camping in SBC car parks was introduced.

In regard to on street parking, some years ago signs had been erected by NYCC banning overnight camping. That was in response to motorhome owners not just staying overnight but staying for longer periods. Local residents found it objectionable because of the visual impact and visitors found that they increasingly had difficulty parking in some areas (we even noticed the latter ourselves on day visits to Whitby before we had a motorhome). To save money the signs were not backed by a legal order so could not be enforced. When that was highlighted NYCC brought in a temporary legal order covering several roads and the matter went out to public consultation. The result was that the permanent order was made which covers the ten roads listed on teh NYCC web site.

As regards the general point of parking spaces being empty overnight, it might have some validity if camping motorhomers were to arrive after (say) 7pm and leaved before (say) 7am. As we all know, though, they don't and that can have an adverse impact on commuters, visitors and shoppers needing to use the the car parks during the day. There is also the problem that many of our car parks (especially older ones) were not built to handle regular use by vehicles weighing more than 2 tonnes and are too small for safe maneuvering by large vehicles. Local authorities simply don't have the money to start redesigning/rebuilding car parks unless there is a sound economic case for it. There would be an outcry from their council tax payers if they did.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
You can stop on the front at Royal Albert Drive. I have done so in the past.
It is on the seafront and had the parking restriction removed last year.
Just don't confuse it with Marine Drive as one leads on to the other and Marine Drive is restricted.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can stop on the front at Royal Albert Drive. I have done so in the past.
It is on the seafront and had the parking restriction removed last year.
Just don't confuse it with Marine Drive as one leads on to the other and Marine Drive is restricted.
Yes, it was one of a number of roads which were in the temporary order and were removed as a result of the consultation. Details of the consultation are still on the NYCC web site (for information purposes) Broken Link Removed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, it was one of a number of roads which were in the temporary order and were removed as a result of the consultation. Details of the consultation are still on the NYCC web site (for information purposes) Broken Link Removed.
Is the Royal Albert Drive parking pay and display?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is the Royal Albert Drive parking pay and display?
Can't say I ever park down there, in fact its a long time since I even drove around the marine/albert drive, so not 100% sure but I would be 99% sure that it is pay and display.
Our council aren't completely stupid (allegedly)....there's a lot of parking revenue to be made in the 2 miles of the marine and albert drives.
Most, if not all, carparks are free overnight and if a daytime ticket has time left after the free period begins then it resumes next morning when charges commence, until the tickets 'bought' time has expired.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It's chargeable:

Marine Drive and Royal Albert Drive car parking
(seasonal):

Up to 2 Hours: £3.00
Up to 6 Hours: £5.00
Up to 24 hours: £6.00

Charges apply:
9am - 6pm

Sat-Nav:

GPS co-ordinates:
N54° 17' 06" W 0° 23' 08"

Postcode:
YO11 1PG

Deleted User
It's chargeable:

Marine Drive and Royal Albert Drive car parking
(seasonal):

Up to 2 Hours: £3.00
Up to 6 Hours: £5.00
Up to 24 hours: £6.00

Charges apply:
9am - 6pm

Sat-Nav:

GPS co-ordinates:
N54° 17' 06" W 0° 23' 08"

Postcode:
YO11 1PG
Thanks for that, we never take a vehicle that side so wouldn't have known :)

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Still WOULD NOT STOP THERE . don't go were I'm not wanted and that's how they have made me feel . But I'm only one and will not be missed so no problem .

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Doesn't she have a disabled parking badge?

Yes the gaffer does have a blue badge, to be honest we try not to use it when in the MH, we have the thought that it is for shopping, banking, doctor visits etc. I think it would get folks heckles up if we parked an 8m MH, got out to nip to the shop, etc.

That would look like abuse of the system to me as well

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
First of all let's clear up the 24 hour parking ticket question. That allows a vehicle to be parked, not camped in, and, whatever some people might like to pretend they know, in the UK habitation of a vehicle is camping, not parking.

Which to my mind is an Oxymoron!. IF the vehicle is occupying the space anyway it is immaterial as to whether the occupants are sitting sleeping or engaged in???. As far as the LA is concerned they are getting a fee which they would not otherwise get. IMV there are far too many pettifogging "regulations" of this ilk. (Oh dear! back to the EU question!)

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Which to my mind is an Oxymoron!. IF the vehicle is occupying the space anyway it is immaterial as to whether the occupants are sitting sleeping or engaged in???. As far as the LA is concerned they are getting a fee which they would not otherwise get. IMV there are far too many pettifogging "regulations" of this ilk. (Oh dear! back to the EU question!)

Pete
The law has been the same since 1960 and has nothing to do with the EU. It is the opinion of any individual as to whether it should be as it is that is immaterial.

LAs have no option but to abide by the law as it is, whether they would like the fee or not. Some have obtained the necessary planning permission when they have been convinced that doing so is worthwhile. I have explained why it will not happen at Scarborough.

If you don't like the law being as it is, though, you could always do something constructive to get it changed and/or to persuade other LAs of the benefits of spending the necessary money to provide aires.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The law has been the same since 1960 and has nothing to do with the EU. It is the opinion of any individual as to whether it should be as it is that is immaterial.

LAs have no option but to abide by the law as it is, whether they would like the fee or not. Some have obtained the necessary planning permission when they have been convinced that doing so is worthwhile. I have explained why it will not happen at Scarborough.

If you don't like the law being as it is, though, you could always do something constructive to get it changed and/or to persuade other LAs of the benefits of spending the necessary money to provide aires.

That`s part of what I said. there is the LAW. And then there is common sense, and they are rarely bedfellows. And I shake my head with bewilderment.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That`s part of what I said. there is the LAW. And then there is common sense, and they are rarely bedfellows. And I shake my head with bewilderment.

Pete
And what is common sense to one is nonsense to another :D

In this case, though, there is solid evidence that the law and common sense are the same. As @John & Joan reminded us a month ago, the legislation in question arose as a direct result of the need to prevent destruction of the countryside and the dangers posed by sanitary issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back