To what extent do Funsters really want UK aires? (1 Viewer)

To what extent do Funsters really want UK aires?

• I have no interest in UK aires

• I have already approached a council to try to persuade it to create an aire

• I will do my bit in future by approaching a council to try to persuade it to create an aire

• I'm only interested if somebody else puts the effort in and gives me aires on a plate

Results are only viewable after voting.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
York park and ride always has spare space at Rawcliffe Bar, surely it would not cost much to repaint some lines and put a tap and a dump point in as the toilet facilities are already there. They don't need to set up a pay system as you pay to use the bus into town OK not everybody will go into town but he ones that do will spend money, I know we do!

Martin

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
From a council's point of view, why would they bother turning over the size of space needed to a minority group when they can make far more money out of it from a normal pay and display car park?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
From a council's point of view, why would they bother turning over the size of space needed to a minority group when they can make far more money out of it from a normal pay and display car park?
Because they should be working in conjunction with the local traders trying to bring in potential customers for the business's within their area.

Shops and town centres are suffering simply because the council want to make money out of the parking, so we vote with our wheels and use out of town shopping with free parking.

They shouldn't be thinking so short sighted, my example of York the parking is already there and under utilised as far as I can tell.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
York park and ride always has spare space at Rawcliffe Bar, surely it would not cost much to repaint some lines and put a tap and a dump point in as the toilet facilities are already there. They don't need to set up a pay system as you pay to use the bus into town OK not everybody will go into town but he ones that do will spend money, I know we do!

Martin
York City Council is one of the ones I've been in touch with which is actually looking into overnight provision for motorhomes (I don't know if it is Rawcliffe Bar or other sites). That has happened as a result of constructive approaches to the council from a number of people.
instead of talking about creating new facilities specifically, would it be possible for local authorities to make use of what must be thousands of car parking and toilet facilities up and down the country which already exist, but prohibit the overnight stops... I haven't a clue but what would they have to do other than change bylaws to make that possible...
some of these places say in market towns up and down the country would be suitable and cant see all of them been objected to if it attracted visitors to an area.. I'm talking specifically for use of motorhomes for overnighting not a long term stop..
just thoughts, and most probably not possible for reasons I haven't got a clue about..:)
andy
Martin is correct about boosting local trade. However, to pick up Andy's point, the sad fact is that the vast majority of the "thousands of car parking and toilet facilities up and down the country which already exist" are not suitable for allowing overnight camping.
Many (especially older ones) are not built to cope with heavy vehicles. Some, whilst not used overnight, may well have significant commuter use between 7am and 7pm and evening use by people in town for a night out.
That is why there is a need to research the suitability of specific places rather than simply making assumptions.

AlanDiggers

Free Member
Jul 8, 2015
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
ths year
Hello All

As mentioned above the aires concept is mainly to use them as a stopping off place en route to the final destination. Sounds a bit like life doesn't it?:DThat doesn't preclude them from consideration though as a viable concept and maybe a tad better than Britstops where if there is a need to keep the relationships going then its advisable to buy a meal or indulge in the local offering:cry:

How do we get this going I am wondering?

Individual or group based on area?
Petition the LA's
Locations
A haul from the South of England to the Highlands is a haul and ideal for an aries or two on teh way.

I live in Cheltenham so will write to the Borough Council to get their views.

Can anybody provide me with an ideal specification for an aires?

Thanks

Alan

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think the idea of Aires in the UK is brilliant and would gladly support any initiative to back it. We use them in France when the trip involves lots of short term 1 or 2 night) stays in different locations and for the odd night in Spain on arrival from the Santander ferry of before departure. Would I feel that my van was secure in a city-centre Aire in the UK? I doubt it. Would I feel it was secure elsewhere, ie near coast/AONB/major tourist attractions? Yes. Does anyone know what led to Aires being created in France and Germany? Someone must have taken a leap in the dark without the benefit of a financial data set? Gary

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I think the idea of Aires in the UK is brilliant and would gladly support any initiative to back it. Does anyone know what led to Aires being created in France and Germany? Someone must have taken a leap in the dark without the benefit of a financial data set? Gary
Insanitary provision in the 1930 led to the Public Health Act 1937 which controlled camping (both in tents and huts) provision. In the UK the rise of tent camping after the war years and the development of trailer caravans led to problems over wild camping and the destruction of the countryside by lighting camp fires and sanitary issues. The UK solution was the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. This led to the UK campsite provision and exempted status for constituted clubs to also set up 5 van sites and hold rallies.
France went down a different route to the UK. A lot of tent camping that led to Motor Caravans, with little caravan use. The upsurge of wild camping again led to problems and it was a combination of the motor caravan clubs and the manufacturers that got the authorities to act and provide facilities. The Municipalities set up camping/caravan sites but also set up the Aires with Borne service points at or near the municipal sites and privately owned sites also followed on. Car Park Aires were set up elsewhere. France has a law that water and a resting place must be provided for all travellers. So provision for "Traveller Aires" and "Auto Caravan Aires" were simply an extension of this law.
What caused Germany Italy and other countries to provide Camping Car provision I will have to leave to someone else.
We do have 6 Aires in the UK, these were all obtained in Northern Ireland by a group of individuals backed by some clubs. It took them 10 years of hard negotiations to achieve this.
I was a member of a group that attempted to set up a similar organisation for the rest of the UK but there was just not the backing of users or organisations to carry things forward. We did however get a UK Manufacturer and a large Importer to back the idea. Political infighting caused the Northern Ireland group to disintegrate. It was lack of people even willing to take the first steps that killed the organisation I was a member off. Lots of people (2000+) said they wanted facilities but none were willing to go beyond that.
Until we can get a sizeable body of active individuals who will to work together and push for provision, the keyboard warriors will continue, but nothing will happen.

Last edited:

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
Chester and Upton upon Severn have proved that allowing motorhomes to overnight in a named car park, for a small fee does not cause any problems. There is no rubbish left, no problems caused and everyone has the opportunity to visit these lovely towns, we frequently use both when travelling and needing a break. I approached Llandudno Council as there is no campsite with walking distance of town, there are restaurants, theatre and excellent shopping and I just wanted to stopover and visit the theatre and restaurant, where is the harm?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
We currently have an aire of sorts at the Harbour in Burry Port where we live in South Wales, unfortunately they will soon be developing the site and the parking area will be lost.
Last year the night before the nearby Pembrey meet we managed to get 20 Funster vans on the site, 40 folk went for a meal in a local pub and to the Yacht Club after for a drink or two, between us we probably spent over £1000 in the town, money that would not of been spent if not for the aire.
One of the reasons for arranging the gathering was to get the attention of local Councillors, to apply pressure to try and ensure there will be provision for Motorhome parking in the development parking area.
Not sure if we succeeded but will find out more when we get home in the spring.
You never know we may get lucky.
Cheers
Ed
I fear that a lot of venues for potential aires are most likely looked upon as ripe for "redeveloping". More money to be made by building houses on them...even flood plain areas! Moi, cynical??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back