Satnav scare stories

Jan 3, 2008
Suffolk
MH
A Class
Exp
They're not 'scare stories', our TomTom unit in the car needed updating ... I've put a thread on about it.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/tomtom-you-may-need-to-update-to-avoid-issues-from-now-on.195089/
They were scare stories in the sense that some I read claimed the devices would fail to work or become faulty at some time in the future, updates were a simple fix and should have been the headline. "Satnavs may need an update" would have been better than "GPS rollover means satnavs will no longer work"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Narrfoook
MH
C class, Autotrail Chief
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My tomtom stopped behaving on the 6th of this month.. Updated it and now all good as is the Garmin 770
Have not tried the Chink one yet
The bike one ( Garmin ) is going to be updated today

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
YO11 2BD
MH
Homeless
Exp
Since 2005
Mines in the car, its a TomTom and to be honest I can't be arsed going for it but I hope its died a horrible, painful death then I'll have to buy a Garmin.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The built in one in my mate's Mitsubishi is playing up, more of a time difference thing with the screen auto brightness mode playing silly buggers.

OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Suffolk, twixt Bury St Edmunds & Stowmarket
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Two Years and 9000 miles.
They were scare stories in the sense that some I read claimed the devices would fail to work or become faulty at some time in the future, updates were a simple fix and should have been the headline. "Satnavs may need an update" would have been better than "GPS rollover means satnavs will no longer work"
My point exactly, some media made it sound like the end of the world.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
Paignton, Devon.
MH
Sadly none at present :(
Exp
4yrs
Bit of a first world problem, I think. If my built in sat nav dies a death and that’s the worst thing that happens to me, I count myself lucky.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
MH
A Class
Exp
33 years
Tomtom offered me a one off update for my ancient satnav which I installed I keep it because of loads of poi files even though the mapping hasnt been updated for several years.

Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
One of my old Garmin sat nav’s is dead now following the rollover announcement. I was told to just leave it without an update, it will be fine and will most certainly work much better than before.
It didn’t!

Minxy Girl

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 1996
Yes, but unless you're living in the 1990s data is included in your monthly bill :ROFLMAO:
Really? We have 100gb each month on hubby's mobile phone which we also use for our home broadband too (no land-lines at all), but there may be times when the signal isn't great so I'd rather not have to rely on internet for sat naving especially as we are capped to 15gb per month when abroad.

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services