Satnav scare stories (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Anyone's satnav not working after all the horror stories?

Checked both my Garmin units this morning both working exactly as before ..

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
They're not 'scare stories', our TomTom unit in the car needed updating ... I've put a thread on about it.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...to-update-to-avoid-issues-from-now-on.195089/

They were scare stories in the sense that some I read claimed the devices would fail to work or become faulty at some time in the future, updates were a simple fix and should have been the headline. "Satnavs may need an update" would have been better than "GPS rollover means satnavs will no longer work"

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My tomtom stopped behaving on the 6th of this month.. Updated it and now all good as is the Garmin 770
Have not tried the Chinese one yet
The bike one ( Garmin ) is going to be updated today

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The built in one in my mate's Mitsubishi is playing up, more of a time difference thing with the screen auto brightness mode playing silly buggers.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
They were scare stories in the sense that some I read claimed the devices would fail to work or become faulty at some time in the future, updates were a simple fix and should have been the headline. "Satnavs may need an update" would have been better than "GPS rollover means satnavs will no longer work"
My point exactly, some media made it sound like the end of the world.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Bit of a first world problem, I think. If my built in sat nav dies a death and that’s the worst thing that happens to me, I count myself lucky.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have given up selling Sat Navs totally, hard to try to sell something when someone asks, "What do you use?" "Google"

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Tomtom offered me a one off update for my ancient satnav which I installed I keep it because of loads of poi files even though the mapping hasnt been updated for several years.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
One of my old Garmin sat nav’s is dead now following the rollover announcement. I was told to just leave it without an update, it will be fine and will most certainly work much better than before.
It didn’t!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, but unless you're living in the 1990s data is included in your monthly bill :ROFLMAO:
Really? We have 100gb each month on hubby's mobile phone which we also use for our home broadband too (no land-lines at all), but there may be times when the signal isn't great so I'd rather not have to rely on internet for sat naving especially as we are capped to 15gb per month when abroad.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you set a route in Google maps it offers tbe option of downloading so that t doesn't conk out if you lose signal.
I am with Vodafone and can use all my data abroad

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you set a route in Google maps it offers tbe option of downloading so that t doesn't conk out if you lose signal.
I am with Vodafone and can use all my data abroad
But if you download the route and use it without internet, what happens if you want to detour?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Well that explains my nightmare journey home ... it should have taken max 6 hours and I ended up in tears overnight in a layby lost in the middle of nowhere.. :(

@Carol

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Oh @movan

Go on tell us all about it. You know you want to. :D:D

In my case I left on a 2 hour journey from the NEC at 7-30am on a Saturday morning and didn't get home until 3pm Sunday afternoon and part of the time I spent in a strangers bed. :whistle::whistle:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oh @movan

Go on tell us all about it. You know you want to. :D:D

In my case I left on a 2 hour journey from the NEC at 7-30am on a Saturday morning and didn't get home until 3pm Sunday afternoon and part of the time I spent in a strangers bed. :whistle::whistle:

Your story sounds MUCH more interesting than mine! :)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi @movan

Ha ha Not really. It took me nearly half hour to get out of the NEC and when I eventually got to the M6 about 8-15am I quickly joined a queue coming to a standstill until 11pm. The chap in the car behind me flattened his battery and came into my car to keep warm. We eventually, with the help of others dismantled the central reservation barriers and dug our way through the snow to the other side where the snowplow had been along. We helped the feller with the flat battery to get his car sorted and I followed him as he lived in South Birmingham and stayed at his place which he offered as I had helped him. I then left from there and had to travel via the M5 and M4 back to Kent. The roads to the M6, M40 and the M1 were blocked for 36 hours and some were stuck there all that time.

The one problem at the time was people that had mobiles were few and far between and the mobile system crashed so I could not contact home to tell them where I was until just after midnight.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
But if you download the route and use it without internet, what happens if you want to detour?
You can download an offline map of a whole country
Never had a problem using ours so far

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
One feature of our Garmin sat nav that I do like is that it displays the current speed limit wherever you are and bleeps if you exceed it
Google maps currently does not do this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back