Sat nav that can be downloaded to phone? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sport
Exp
25 years
One week.into our 8 week tour & garmin camper freezing up !! Anyone recommend a sat nav I can download to my phone as I can then.display it on the camper screen. Not Google or waze as I need to be able to input height, weight etc...

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Road Lords Truck Gps can be set for vehicle specifics, but can be tricky to download.
I had it my phone, but uninstalled it as now just use Google, it's much easier.I do carry an Aguri 520, but would need to seriously lost before firing that irksome thing into life.
Mike .

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Magic Earth.

Go to General Settings, Navigation and select ‘Truck’. You can then input dimensions, weight, axle weight and maximum speed. Click on the the ‘Truck’ icon when using the navigation function and it will hopefully guide you in the right direction.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've got Sygic Truck. I've tried Road Lords, TomTom and a couple of others. I use Google Maps. Sygic is the backup or second opinion that mostly gets ignored. Even though Google Maps doesn't know I've got an A-class, it's overall a far better experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Another vote for Magic Earth, it's a freebie.
We used it on our two-month tour of Spain and Portugal earlier this years. (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your Garmin is playing up, could I suggest you look on the back of it.
If it has a black coloured strip containing the type and serial no. might I suggest gently peeling away the strip to reveal a little nipple.
Pressing that nipple with a finger or thumb nail should get the Sat nav to reset.

Upvote 0

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Tomtom choose the truck version when registering, can be linked via car play and android auto, expensive but for me the best there is from all that i have tried (sygic truck/garmin camper/copilot camper/magic earth etc etc)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If your Garmin is playing up, could I suggest you look on the back of it.
If it has a black coloured strip containing the type and serial no. might I suggest gently peeling away the strip to reveal a little nipple.
Pressing that nipple with a finger or thumb nail should get the Sat nav to reset.
If it's a Camper 760 / 770 / 780 I believe it can be reset by holding the power button down for 10-12 seconds but never tried it as I haven't wanted / needed to reset it!

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If it's a Camper 760 / 770 / 780 I believe it can be reset by holding the power button down for 10-12 seconds but never tried it as I haven't wanted / needed to reset it!
My Nuvi (Garmin) 'died' eight yrs ago and, thanks to someone on YouTube posting the tip I have just given, it's still going strong.
Lifetime maps might just mean that. It's now in double figures in terms of years.

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The Tom Tom App, with the Camper subscription, would fit the bill.

Ian

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Tried that & no joy
Have you tried a factory reset within Settings?

Make sure you back-up all your data if you want as this process deletes all user data and takes the unit back to factory defaults.

For a 780 Camper -
  1. power on the unit
  2. tap the Settings icon at bottom right
  3. scroll down to Device
  4. scroll down to Reset
  5. tap Delete Data and Reset Settings
  6. not sure what comes after that (for obvious reasons!)
Best of luck.🤞🤞🤞

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sport
Exp
25 years
thanks for all the helpful info. I had removed an SD card with some info on it just before it started freezing so tried putting the SD card back in & hey presto it seems to be working again - no idea why as the info on the sd card is only some camping sites & not loaded onto garmin. Just a relief that at the moment seems to be working

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
thanks for all the helpful info. I had removed an SD card with some info on it just before it started freezing so tried putting the SD card back in & hey presto it seems to be working again - no idea why as the info on the sd card is only some camping sites & not loaded onto garmin. Just a relief that at the moment seems to be working
Maybe the unit was looking for the card to be present as there is a route in the internal memory that is using a waypoint contained within the sd card? :unsure:

Pleased to hear your sorted!(y)

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Magic Earth without a doubt, install as back up. Offline maps to save data, online poi search and traffic info, full dimension profiles its free and maps are updated regularly. We are just near Calais after trip to Croatia non toll routes and it has not taken us the wrong way once. We use carplay to output to a 10 inch carpuride display. I am very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Do you mean a sat nav that uses downloaded maps? If you do then try CoPilot GPS.
Co pilot does not support carplay, shoddy developement. Magic earth for me running on phone and then synced with large carpuride apple car play display

Upvote 0
May 24, 2022
Funster No
MH
Converted VW Crafter
Thanks for mentioning Magic Earth. Not seen that one before. It it works well, I will cancel my copilot sub. That will be £25 per year saved

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2024
Funster No
MH
Etrusco CV540 DB
I have used Myroute Navigation on my motorbike for years and more recently in the camper. It is continually being developed and now allows camper dimensions to be entered, and is compatible with Android Auto if you have a vehicle display which supports that.

The associated route planning is very easy to use which is why I started using it years ago to plan my motorcycle touring routes after failing to get on with the twisted logic of Garmin's Basecamp! Routes created can be exported in various formats to use on TomTom, Garmin, etc, but the most seamless integration is with their own navigation app. There is a limited free version of the route planner, but the paid for version is more capable.

Both pre-planned routes and maps can be downloaded to your phone allowing fully offline use. Myroute often have very good offers for lifetime licenses which I have for both the navigation app and the route planning.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2023
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet.
When I used to drive an articulated truck I bought a Garmin sat-nav. It was a nightmarish piece of crap that now lives on the hard shoulder of the M3, after it told me to drive 50 miles up to the M25 and come back on the M4 to get to Basingstoke. A 100 mile round trip, instead of driving north 10 miles.

Window went down, £337 Garmin crap-nav went out, window went up. Enter the new £370 TomTom sat-nav. It was an expensive decision, but the right one. The TomTom is a far superior device I can actually trust. I will never trust a device 100%. Common sense and making sure I've read the road signs was still first and foremost.

If I was you, I'd buy a TomTom and also have your phone running the same route on Google maps. The reason being, if one fails, the other is still running. Also, the main reason I used Google Maps was solely for the last few hundred meters. The TomTom, as good as it was, couldn't tell me where the company was on the road, but I could drop a pin on the precise location of the company with Google. I could also look on Google Maps aerial view of the company's site and decide whether I could turn within it or whether I should reverse in first.

When I eventually get my Malibu van delivered, my trusty TomTom will again sit above my dashboard alongside my phone running Google Maps.

This is the TomTom I have, it has come down in price. It's not the latest device but it works well and is a proper HGV sat-nav. Buy one when you get back home. It's definitely a good idea at that price.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back